Lineup 2018

20 minutes ago, moams said:

I don't agree with the whole co/headline thing anyway it's just a way to make bands feel they're higher up without splashing the cash. But as for Royal Blood I know they were once good live but as @dentalplan said they would go down very well.

This is a pretty odd way of thinking about it. By current standards of coheadliners, they used to just have one who no doubt got paid very similarly, and then a sub who was probably paid less. It's only reasonable if you think every headliner that has come before has been a mega-headliner, which - when looking back on Franz Ferdinand or The Charlatans or whoever - clearly isn't the case.

So if anything it's to make fans feel like they're getting something better in getting four headliners and not the bands.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This is a pretty odd way of thinking about it. By current standards of coheadliners, they used to just have one who no doubt got paid very similarly, and then a sub who was probably paid less. It's only reasonable if you think every headliner that has come before has been a mega-headliner, which - when looking back on Franz Ferdinand or The Charlatans or whoever - clearly isn't the case.

So if anything it's to make fans feel like they're getting something better in getting four headliners and not the bands.

I don't expect every headliner to be a mega headliner I just don't agree with the whole co-headliner things that's all. I'd much rather have a smaller outright headliner than two bands co-headlining. 

• Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That's one way to look at it, but it's also a way to push bands up to headliner status who aren't quite there yet, especially in our current time of people expecting every headliner to be of Foos/Arctics size and every festival fighting it out for the biggest acts. Gone are the days of the festival being able to give one smaller act a chance and people being cool with it. Obviously some pairings (The Strokes/Pulp, Paramore/QOTSA) are better than others (Foals/Disclosure, Biffy/Fall Out Boy) mind, but I don't think it's a terrible thing (except for Biffy/Fall Out Boy which was an obvious last minute headliner scramble).

Well, the last two obviously sold a lot better than the first couple.

I think people were just okay with it in 2011 as a one-off as both were reasonable and proven headliners but with restrictions on touring schedules they could only do that year. But yeah when they brought it back in 2014 with two new headliners, people started to see it as the double-sub slot and there was a massive barrier in front of any new headliners they were able to promote so they kind of made that mess themselves. I think they could easily get out of it by just stopping doing it and promoting acts into outright headline positions and people will say it's weak for a year or two and then it'll just be normal again, but I don't know if R+L are that arsed really seeing as it works quite well for 'em.

1 minute ago, moams said:

I don't expect every headliner to be a mega headliner I just don't agree with the whole co-headliner things that's all. I'd much rather have a smaller outright headliner than two bands co-headlining. 

If I was closer to Reading I wouldn't really give a toss. Leeds gets the raw deal every time though.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If I went to Reading I wouldn't really give a toss. Leeds gets the raw deal every time though.

I do go to Leeds and we always get the raw end of the deal with everything including special guests coming out with acts but anyway I think if Royal Blood were to be there this year they'd be better suited as outright headliners rather than co-headliners but it always seems to work for them as you said. I can just see them going one up on 2016 eventually and having co-headliners everyday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, moams said:

I do go to Leeds and we always get the raw end of the deal with everything including special guests coming out with acts but anyway I think if Royal Blood were to be there this year they'd be better suited as outright headliners rather than co-headliners but it always seems to work for them as you said. I can just see them going one up on 2016 eventually and having co-headliners everyday.

You're in luck, because they are headlining outright.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well, the last two obviously sold a lot better than the first couple.

I think people were just okay with it in 2011 as a one-off as both were reasonable and proven headliners but with restrictions on touring schedules they could only do that year. But yeah when they brought it back in 2014 with two new headliners, people started to see it as the double-sub slot and there was a massive barrier in front of any new headliners they were able to promote so they kind of made that mess themselves. I think they could easily get out of it by just stopping doing it and promoting acts into outright headline positions and people will say it's weak for a year or two and then it'll just be normal again, but I don't know if R+L are that arsed really seeing as it works quite well for 'em.

I think Royal Blood would be the perfect smaller act for them to just bump straight up to outright headliner and do away with the co-headliner thing, but I guess it remains to be seen if they'll go that way. I'm guessing not. And I suppose having the co-headliner thing means if they're ever really stuck they can always just go back to it which is something they obviously made good use of in 2016.

1 minute ago, randlfan said:

You're in luck, because they are headlining outright.

Here's hoping. I don't like them but they're just the kind of act the festival should be pushing up to the top.

4 minutes ago, moams said:

And where have you heard this, DudeyRhino and his orange camp sesh gremlins?

Their mate's aunt. Keep up. :P

Even though the suggested line up is a bit crap, I hope this isn't a bamboozle because - despite it not really affecting me - the thought of Imagine Dragons headlining Leeds is horrendous.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, moams said:

And where have you heard this, DudeyRhino and his orange camp sesh gremlins?

Guessing you've not seen my previous posts. I'm the reason everyone is making auntie jokes lol. My friend's aunt works for a record company and in 2016 gave my friend the info of YM@6 doing the secret set a fair few weeks before the festival. This year she's told my friend that the headliners are Royal Blood (outright), Kendrick and Foos. Also, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Dua Lipa, The Hunna, J Hus, Courteeners, Don Broco, SZA, Wolf Alice, Nothing But Thieves, PVRIS, Travis Scott, Krept & Konan, Faithless have all been booked.

Completely understand if you think that's ropey or you don't wanna believe it, but I have no reason to think it's fake. We'll have to wait and see when the lineup comes out, but I'm fully expecting all of those names to be there.

Just wanna point out that she didn't specifically say Royal Blood are headlining outright, she said the headliners are Royal Blood, Kendrick and Foos. Assuming that if there was a coheadline then that info would have been portrayed, but I guess it could be possible that there's been some miscommunication and if Royal Blood are coheadlining then whoever that is with wasn't communicated.

I'm personally assuming it'll be outright headlining though.

13 minutes ago, randlfan said:

Guessing you've not seen my previous posts. I'm the reason everyone is making auntie jokes lol. My friend's aunt works for a record company and in 2016 gave my friend the info of YM@6 doing the secret set a fair few weeks before the festival. This year she's told my friend that the headliners are Royal Blood (outright), Kendrick and Foos. Also, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Dua Lipa, The Hunna, J Hus, Courteeners, Don Broco, SZA, Wolf Alice, Nothing But Thieves, PVRIS, Travis Scott, Krept & Konan, Faithless have all been booked.

Completely understand if you think that's ropey or you don't wanna believe it, but I have no reason to think it's fake. We'll have to wait and see when the lineup comes out, but I'm fully expecting all of those names to be there.

She didn't even mention Bicep?

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

21 minutes ago, j.gibbard said:

Also, I'm thinking there's going to be major backlash on Twitter (and maybe a little bit on here) if after all this time they announce Imagine Dragons as a headliner. Don't hate them but it would be slightly underwhelming.

Slightly? That's an understatement. There just boring and taking up a valuable spot would be painful to see. Hopefully that dude is right, RB and 30STM as an undercard is solid then the big two of Foos and Kendrick. That would be decent in my opinion. ID gives me the shivers thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, randlfan said:

Just wanna point out that she didn't specifically say Royal Blood are headlining outright, she said the headliners are Royal Blood, Kendrick and Foos. Assuming that if there was a coheadline then that info would have been portrayed, but I guess it could be possible that there's been some miscommunication and if Royal Blood are coheadlining then whoever that is with wasn't communicated.

I'm personally assuming it'll be outright headlining though.

Ah in that case I'm back to thinking they'll co-headline with Imagine Dragons. Maybe she just found out those three acts are headlining and assumed that was it seeing as that's the norm?

Also think Royal Blood on their own with Courteeners or Travis Scott subbing them would be a pretty weak seller.

Tbh, that leak looks pretty reasonable. Every act I was expecting to play other than Dua Lipa (who seems like a very odd booking unless V has been canned completely)

Tbh I think Royal Blood could solo headline, but I aint convinced. Regarding new headliners who could solo headline, you already have Kendrick this year. Then you've got people like the 1975 and BMTH who would be new headliners and imo could do it outright...

32 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Ah in that case I'm back to thinking they'll co-headline with Imagine Dragons. Maybe she just found out those three acts are headlining and assumed that was it seeing as that's the norm?

Also think Royal Blood on their own with Courteeners or Travis Scott subbing them would be a pretty weak seller.

Nah if they’re naming PVRIS in a comprehensive list of names playing, they’re listing a main stage headliner too. Might as well just disregard the whole thing if you’re maintaining your old prediction, which is reasonable enough I guess cos we don’t have previous from this source.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

And I suppose having the co-headliner thing means if they're ever really stuck they can always just go back to it which is something they obviously made good use of in 2016.

What actually happened in 2016? Did a headliner pull out or something? Biffy already outright headlined in 2013 so why didn’t they just outright headline again? Or where they never considered for 2016 but a mess up meant Fall Out Boy were left as headliners but essentially FR didn’t think they were big enough to outright headline but they were already booked so the only option was to co-headline them? Didn’t even know this was a thing tbh, just assumed the co-headline was always on the cards for the two.

11 minutes ago, jjoshwhite said:

What actually happened in 2016? Did a headliner pull out or something? Biffy already outright headlined in 2013 so why didn’t they just outright headline again? Or where they never considered for 2016 but a mess up meant Fall Out Boy were left as headliners but essentially FR didn’t think they were big enough to outright headline but they were already booked so the only option was to co-headline them? Didn’t even know this was a thing tbh, just assumed the co-headline was always on the cards for the two.

I heard they had booked Radiohead with Fall Out Boy subbing, but when they pulled out they got Biffy and had to bump FoB up to coheadline

two thoughts

Even though they are really my thing, every time i've seen Royal Blood they've smashed it. They were very very good on the pyramid stage last year and they really suit big stages.

Second, Dua Lipa taking a high slot wouldn't surprise me... and I think it's pretty good going of R&L to give a big slot to a big female artist right now.