Lineup 2018

Just now, The All Round Ball :| said:

Wait, im actually confused. When it says part 1, part 2 and so on. Is that referring to the line up announcements or the instalment plan dates? Having a dodgy moment haha

Instalment dates

13 minutes ago, w0lfalic321 said:

This twitter meltdown after another 'coming soon' announcement is hilarious. I reckon Monday for first announcement and maybe a tweet the day before saying "Announcement tomorrow at 10am" or whatever time. Surely they cant hold this off for another 3 weeks until the brits. 

I doubt they would have put that tweet out saying "coming soon" if the announcement was next week. They would have just said "Announcement next week" instead to stop all the twitter rage

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I doubt they would have put that tweet out saying "coming soon" if the announcement was next week. They would have just said "Announcement next week" instead to stop all the twitter rage

They still could separately. Doubt they'd have been like "instalment plans have change and oh btw that lineup you've been crying about is finally here next week". I'm inclined to agree that it's just around the corner - two 'coming soon' things in five days makes me think they're days away from posting the date of the announcement.

They don't really have to quell the grievance over lack of announcement. As long as they're still bitching about it, they're still on the hook.

They've just posted that the announcement is "coming soon" on Facebook, but this time without any of the info about the instalment plan. Maybe they really are just stalling and it won't be as soon as we think instead of informing about instalment plan with a proper announcement actually on the way.

Edited by TheWaters

46 minutes ago, VCK said:

As I said before, until a few years ago we'd have to wait until around March/April for the first announcement.

Yeah, I know that. I think it might be going back to that. I was pointing out that it might not be that close after all as a couple of people thought it might've been.

11 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah, I know that. I think it might be going back to that. I was pointing out that it might not be that close after all as a couple of people thought it might've been.

But also when the announced it back in March in pretty sure they didn't post line up coming soon about 4 times. I think they will just drop the line up one day out of the blue but when that will be is anyones guess.

• Downvote 2

Just now, moams said:

But also when the announced it back in March in pretty sure they didn't post line up coming soon about 4 times. I think they will just drop the line up one day out of the blue but when that will be is anyones guess.

I feel they might just be doing that to almost kind of re-assure the people who aren't used to a March announcement that it's still coming, if you know what I mean? As in as long as people know it's coming they can draw it out as long as they want, possibly till march.

3 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I feel they might just be doing that to almost kind of re-assure the people who aren't used to a March announcement that it's still coming, if you know what I mean? As in as long as people know it's coming they can draw it out as long as they want, possibly till march.

Then why not just say "Line up coming March" instead and getting a backlash of inpatient kids who want to know if they will be able to be off their face on Ket whilst watching AM.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, moams said:

Then why not just say "Line up coming March" instead and getting a backlash of inpatient kids who want to know if they will be able to be off their face on Ket whilst watching AM.

Call it impatient all you want, but when you're trying to plan your summer festivals you don't really want to be spending hundreds of pounds on a shit lineup when other festivals such as TRNSMT are smashing it. As someone who has already bought their ticket and is now seeing mates opting for other festivals it is quite irritating.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jkerr4412 said:

Call it impatient all you want, but when you're trying to plan your summer festivals you don't really want to be spending hundreds of pounds on a shit lineup when other festivals such as TRNSMT are smashing it. As someone who has already bought their ticket and is now seeing mates opting for other festivals it is quite irritating.

I agree - if they're gonna go back to releasing the full thing in March like they did before give people some warning. Wouldn't really mind , just quite nippy that they've been posting tweets teasing us with a lineup announcement for the past month. Give me some lineup!! 

13 minutes ago, jkerr4412 said:

March is till plenty of time to plan your summer festivals, it always used to come out then so I don't see what the issue is. If the line up was so important to you then why not wait to buy your ticket??? As for Trnsmt smashing it though I have to disagree, the line is ok but its nothing to get over excited about. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

41 minutes ago, moams said:

The backlash is still publicity, could just be a massive PR stunt. Everyone is tweeting about r&l a lot now and people are interested to see the line up (even those who never would have gone originally) and so if in a few weeks they drop a very decent line up, because of all his extra media attention you’re likely gonna get a lot of new fans of the festival decide to buy tickets 

24 minutes ago, Chris Vincent said:

Not sure what I think of Royal Blood head/co-headlining, I like their music, but have heard they are quite boring live. What does everyone else think from their experience. 

I think they've grown to be pretty boring on record but they are (or at least were) good live. They'll go down very well in a headline slot.

3 hours ago, jkerr4412 said:

TRNSMT is over a month before R+L and only just announced Arctic Monkeys, with a headliner still to come. Plus I think headliner-oriented gigs kinda aimed at an older crowd in the centre of Glasgow are naturally less of a competitor - if people want that then they can have that but it's miles different from R+L.

Plus, for the first time in decades, Reading and Leeds barely have mainstream competition on the UK mainland in terms of camping festivals; T is gone, V is likely gone, Glastonbury is having a year off, Bestival moved to the mainland but also downsized quite massively. They can afford the time to consider the lineup and sort stuff out rather than hurrying out stuff to get ahead of competition.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, DR OK said:

I highly doubt that the lack of a lineup to date is due to planning. They must have missed out on at least one of their top targets which has pushed everything back

I disagree but even so, it must have been more difficult in previous years when they were still rummaging around for a headliner when they've already announced one or two to the world. 

49 minutes ago, Chris Vincent said:

Not sure what I think of Royal Blood head/co-headlining, I like their music, but have heard they are quite boring live. What does everyone else think from their experience. 

I don't agree with the whole co/headline thing anyway it's just a way to make bands feel they're higher up without splashing the cash. But as for Royal Blood I know they were once good live but as @dentalplan said they would go down very well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, moams said:

I don't agree with the whole co/headline thing anyway it's just a way to make bands feel they're higher up without splashing the cash. But as for Royal Blood I know they were once good live but as @dentalplan said they would go down very well.

That's one way to look at it, but it's also a way to push bands up to headliner status who aren't quite there yet, especially in our current time of people expecting every headliner to be of Foos/Arctics size and every festival fighting it out for the biggest acts. Gone are the days of the festival being able to give one smaller act a chance and people being cool with it. Obviously some pairings (The Strokes/Pulp, Paramore/QOTSA) are better than others (Foals/Disclosure, Biffy/Fall Out Boy) mind, but I don't think it's a terrible thing (except for Biffy/Fall Out Boy which was an obvious last minute headliner scramble).