Lineup 2018

10 minutes ago, DR OK said:

Think the presumption has always been that the only reason they wouldn't be there is stadium shows.

Bit more than that, there's other presumptions to be made. Bands of their size tend to do festie shows in europe either at the start of the summer or at the end, but not both (tho it does sometimes happen). And it defo looks like being the start of the summer for them.

11 hours ago, harry5573 said:

I'm sure I read that Matt is taking a break from Blink for a bit and he's been writing new material for Trio whilst on tour. Hopefully that means a new record could be out this year and they make their way over here

Not a chance! Matt is 100% Blink! Still touring with festivals this summer! Can't see him doing anything with Trio!

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Just doing my bi-daily browse of AM forums (fanboy) and a guy in the know who works at Mad Cool says no AM for R and L and they're playing Wembley apparently.

@didinowanttohearthat  another AM fan boy over here, the main reason I even started looking at this forum was to find out whether AM were playing RandL or not this year lol, fully off topic I know but apart from arctic monkeys reddit (which is the only AM forum I look at and is brill) do you know of any good AM forums for finding out info/rumours?? Thanksssss

1 hour ago, DR OK said:

Neil has been saying for a while that he heard AM are not at Reading this year. Think the presumption has always been that the only reason they wouldn't be there is stadium shows. Imagine Wembley is too good for them to turn down. Guess we will find out on Monday when it looks like all their dates are announced.  

Radio X are making an announcement 8am Monday. Its likely it will be the suports for LG @ Finsbury Park but they are also obsessed with AM and that would be an ideal time to announce Wembley / bst / whatever outdoor show they have scheduled. Then throughout the day others in europe can announce theirs and then trnsmt at 5pm. 

8 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Radio X are making an announcement 8am Monday. Its likely it will be the suports for LG @ Finsbury Park but they are also obsessed with AM and that would be an ideal time to announce Wembley / bst / whatever outdoor show they have scheduled. Then throughout the day others in europe can announce theirs and then trnsmt at 5pm. 

The announcement video thing they posted on insta literally played a clip of Morning Glory, so I assume it's LG.

4 hours ago, somethingpersonal said:

If they removed the pit/lock up, that’d have such a big impact on the rock scene, especially for up and coming bands

And would guarantee my non attendance. There are times when that stage is like a safe haven when the rest of the arena is like a cold hostile wasteland. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Bit more than that, there's other presumptions to be made. Bands of their size tend to do festie shows in europe either at the start of the summer or at the end, but not both (tho it does sometimes happen). And it defo looks like being the start of the summer for them.

They're doing August fests over here too, so I reckon they're gonna be about for the bulk of the summer 

Don't expect them at R&L still tho 

7 hours ago, somethingpersonal said:

If they removed the pit/lock up, that’d have such a big impact on the rock scene, especially for up and coming bands

Not really. Most of those bands went ignored. I remember the last year I went and even The Menzingers, who you could argue are a well established band, had a pretty much empty tent. It may have changed and I might have been seeing the wrong band but it seems to me it does really matter and lots of the good acts who deserve attention are wasted there. Don't get me wrong, I love that stage and it's held a special place for me even though I haven't been to Leeds since 2015 but it's wasted on the crowd there. Those up and coming bands will get more support and attention by playing fests like Download, Slam Dunk and 2000trees than R&L these days. 

6 hours ago, Benj said:

Anyone have any thoughts of whether the Wonder Years could play? Supposedly making a new record at the mo, would a European Summer tour be an option or are they more likely to stick to the states?

Doubt they will play. They do things how they want now. The only fest they played on the NCTH tour was 2000trees. Feel like the only fests they'd be likely to play this year would be Slam Dunk or Download. Anyway they're taking a bit of a break at the moment so I don't see the album coming out until the later half of the year where they'd probably be touring the US then. Would love them to play the Kendrick day though. They're my favourite band and would the icing on the cake for that day :P

25 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Not really. Most of those bands went ignored. I remember the last year I went and even The Menzingers, who you could argue are a well established band, had a pretty much empty tent.

If I remember correctly, The Menzingers played at a different time to the slot they were allocated originally which caused confusion (I ended up missing them because of this!). Might go someway to explaining why they got a small crowd. Although I do agree that the pit/lock up has had diminishing crowds over the last few years. Despite that, the crowds are normally very lively which is the most important thing. 

Pretty much now, we can say it is pretty much done that Kendrick and Foo Fighters are headlining. Because the a headliner is a SR it very rarely is wrong and they fit with everything.

I still have the feeling one will be wrong which I feel is the co-headline. Its very rare that all three are correct and if I think it was @Dan Wilcox information its likely there will not be one so an act we have discussed less or not at all could be chosen.

RB I think will play, hope to God they don't headline singularly since I saw them they were great but wouldn't want them as my headliner. Special Guests would be good but reckon they will headline if they are there. If they do headline then want them to co-headline but I am not a fan of co-headliners. Rather one great one.

I've given up on Arctics headlining this or FIB. Final predictions from me:

Reading Friday: Royal Blood and Imagine Dragons coheadline with Nothing But Thieves third down. Catfish & The Bottlemen on the NME.

Reading Saturday: Kendrick Lamar, subbed by Travis Scott with Chvrches third down. Wolf Alice headlining the NME.

Reading Sunday: Foo fighters, subbed by Courteeners with the Hunna third down. The Vaccines headlining the NME.

Edited by danz026
  • Downvote 4

Just now, danz026 said:

Reading Friday: Royal Blood and Imagine Dragons coheadline with Nothing But Thieves third down. Catfish & The Bottlemen on the NME.

Reading Saturday: Kendrick Lamar, subbed by Travis Scott with Chvrches third down. Wolf Alice headlining the NME.

Reading Sunday: Foo fighters, subbed by Courteeners with the Hunna third down. Catfish & The Bottlemen headlining the NME.

Not only do Catfish accept an NME slot for some reason, but they accept it twice. Wow.

1 minute ago, danz026 said:

I meant the Vaccines for one of them although tbh they sound the same as one another so my point stands.

Okay fair enough, switch one of them for The Vaccines and you don’t have the problem of two lots of Catfish. The problem you have now is that there’s no way Catfish would accept anything other than main stage sub tbh. 

Edit: hold up a second, Catfish & The Bottemen some of the blandest most boring same sounding indie out there, sounds the same as The Vaccines who are notably more up-tempo with actual good music? The new singles are bangers.

Edited by TheWaters

Just now, TheWaters said:

Okay fair enough, switch one of them for The Vaccines and you don’t have the problem of two lots of Catfish. The problem you have now is that there’s no way Catfish would accept anything other than main stage sub tbh. 

Maybe I'm underestimating how big CATB are, but look at the FIB line up. That's a less prestigious festival than R&L and they aren't even headlining.

1 minute ago, danz026 said:

Maybe I'm underestimating how big CATB are, but look at the FIB line up. That's a less prestigious festival than R&L and they aren't even headlining.

I think the the reasoning behind that are 1. Everyone above them would either be a sub or headliner if they returned to R&L at this point (bar maybe The Vaccines) 2. I don’t think they’re as big in mainland Europe as they are here are they? I’m not too sure but I’d say they’re good shouts why they’re a couple acts down the bill.

20 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Reading Sunday: Foo fighters, subbed by Courteeners with the Hunna third down. The Vaccines headlining the NME.

Switch NBT + catfish then it's realistic. Although maybe they wouldn't have Travis Scott and Kendrick Lamar on the same day 

13 minutes ago, danz026 said:

They've headlined a festival at finsbury park, and also sold out a headline show at wembley arena and their second album was no.1 and they are immensely popular with teenagers. They wouldn't really accept anything lower than support. Tbh their UK fanbase is probably bigger than imagine dragons 

13 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I think the the reasoning behind that are 1. Everyone above them would either be a sub or headliner if they returned to R&L at this point (bar maybe The Vaccines) 2. I don’t think they’re as big in mainland Europe as they are here are they? I’m not too sure but I’d say they’re good shouts why they’re a couple acts down the bill.

Have you been to Beni before? It's basically an English enclave in Eastern Spain. 90% of the attendees are drunk British youths.