Lineup 2018

Gotta be honest I'm with @Chinaski_ on this. If the music is good, I don't care who has wrote it, nor do I care who is performing it, all that matters is that it is, to me at least, good music. If the R&L line-up was 100% full of female acts with quality tunes (again, to me) then I would be over the moon. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Here you go, someone's done your job for you look! 

See I've only heard of Katy B out of those. Sorry for not knowing every single act from a genre I don't listen to and a festival I have no interest in.  

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Where? I looked on her Twitter and she hadn't mentioned one. 

And then she continued to retweet loads of suggestions people tweeted to her, one of which The Wonderwhy posted above.

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Just come up with this pretty quickly.

Friday: Paramore, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Babymetal, PVRIS, Tonight Alive, Gogol Bordello, The Big Moon, Milk Teeth
Saturday: Arcade Fire, The xx, Lorde, HAIM, Metronomy, Creeper, Alvvays, Pale Waves, YONAKA
Sunday: Florence & the Machine, Dua Lipa, Faithless, M.I.A., Warpaint, Marmozets, Fickle Friends, Black Honey, Anteros

Haven't checked that all of those are definitely touring around R&L, but I'm pretty sure most of them would be available. I know that's only the main stage but I could go on. They could easily fill the lineup with more female acts if they wanted - IMO a main stage like that would be better than anything we're likely to get. Yes it's probably lacking in certain genres but really it could be a lot more representative than it has been in recent years. It's nothing to do with ticking boxes.

The Distillers, The Breeders, Warpaint, Pixies, Haim, Savages, Skinny Girl Diet to name a few more. 

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

See I've only heard of Katy B out of those. Sorry for not knowing every single act from a genre I don't listen to and a festival I have no interest in.  

You don't have to know who they are. Presumably you won't know 90% of the men on the lineup either. But don't you think, given that all those names would be suited to the festival and popular bookings, it's pretty shocking that there's only 3 females on the poster.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

And then she continued to retweet loads of suggestions people tweeted to her, one of which The Wonderwhy posted above.

Well at least she's actually started putting out some suggestions then, instead of moaning. 

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

Well at least she's actually started putting out some suggestions then, instead of moaning. 

She posted that 7 hours ago and all you've done is accuse her of moaning :rofl:. That was one of the first tweets she posted on the subject, I had to scroll way back to find it.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

She posted that 7 hours ago and all you've done is accuse her of moaning :rofl:. That was one of the first tweets she posted on the subject, I had to scroll way back to find it.

Looked through her Twitter and she was just retweeting angry people complaining and not coming up with any answers, so couldn't be arsed to keep reading. 

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You don't have to know who they are. Presumably you won't know 90% of the men on the lineup either. But don't you think, given that all those names would be suited to the festival and popular bookings, it's pretty shocking that there's only 3 females on the poster.

Yes I think there should a lot more, but I don't know about those acts, so I can't say who's a good booking or not. I was on about Reading anyway. 

4 minutes ago, throstle said:

Gotta be honest I'm with @Chinaski_ on this. If the music is good, I don't care who has wrote it, nor do I care who is performing it, all that matters is that it is, to me at least, good music. If the R&L line-up was 100% full of female acts with quality tunes (again, to me) then I would be over the moon. 

But nobody is saying anything about the quality deteriorating - just the number of men and unless you think bands with men are inherently better than I don’t see your problem. I think you guys might actually agree if you understood what we were on about.

18 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Bearfur are fronted by a female and Reading book them every year.

Hi mate they're actually fronted by a male and I feel like this post was an attempt to call a male a female as an insult. I feel that considering the serious discussion unfolding you're doing nothing but making out being female to be a bad thing, which I find disgusting and I think you should be banned.

• Upvote 3

I had a cracking Leeds fest last year, I saw:

Friday:

Sløtface

Fickle Friends 

Muncie Girls 

Queen Zee & The Sasstones

Saturday:

Deep Valley

Oh Wonder 

Anne Marie 

Sunday :

TPR

PVRIS

Inheaven 

Turbowolf 

Missed

Marmozets 

Tokimonsta 

Ray BLK 

Sigrid

Honeyblood 

if you haven't heard of these you should check them out. :D

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I'm always on about the quality deteriorating lol, but it's nothing to do with sexes of band members. I think lad rock is utter shite and it's a male dominated field. 

Facepalm.png

Just now, dentalplan said:

But nobody is saying anything about the quality deteriorating - just the number of men and unless you think bands with men are inherently better than I don’t see your problem. I think you guys might actually agree if you understood what we were on about.

I don't think men are inherently better to be clear, my point is that music should be the reason why acts are booked, not gender. Obviously music is subjective, so what I think sounds good will be different to what many people on this forum do. Deteriorating quality can be a potential consequence of picking acts based on gender, and that applies to both genders i.e if there weren't enough men for whatever reason and Anteros got ditched so NBT could play one of their depressing monotone sets because of their anatomy then I wouldn't be amused in the slightest. 

2 minutes ago, Dangerbreaks said:

Just checking - we're not expecting Leeds to sell out like Wireless did right? Can't convince people to buy tickets until the lineup is out :lol:

Nah no way, Leeds rarely sells out and if it does it tends to be a particular day pretty close to the festival. If AM end up being one of the headliners I'd say that day will probably sell out earlier than normal but you'd still have longer than Wireless sold.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

23 minutes ago, throstle said:

but it's more of an issue than just what you like. Your opinion is completely fair enough but in general, there isn't enough "good music" from females getting booked at festivals which is what needs to be changed. The problem is that there are no way near enough females playing or getting noticed for their guitar music and this is because, as it has been mentioned, it is not as stereotypically "normal" for girls, and it was never encouraged in the past. This could be helped change by festivals booking more female involved acts who could easily play in the same slot as one of the many pure male acts. Even if some people who don't "like female vocals" aren't happy to start with, its a bit of a sacrifice that would need to be made as it is a problem that needs to be changed. In the future festivals should be nearly equally male and female because there is no reason why either gender would be more or less into guitar music or whatever the genre is when stereotypes are removed.