Lineup 2018

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

Your assumption that they'd only book bands with women in 'just to tick boxes' is part of the problem 

No I said they shouldn't do that. It's people like Lily Allen demanding that that is a problem. 

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Paramore and Florence and the Machine, as I said.

So don't complain about the lack of female headliners then. Personally I'd love to see Bjork or PJ Harvey high up, but that would never happen again. 

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

No I said they shouldn't do that. It's people like Lily Allen demanding that that is a problem. 

Lily's point is there are plenty of women who should be playing these festivals and big slots on merit. Your the one who's introduced fantasy box ticking. 

As @Chinaski_says, acts booked should be based upon their talent, not their gender. There are some really great female bands and artists out there, which is fantastic, and I hope many of them play at R&L. But I'm sure when people go to R&L, they're going for the best music, not to observe that certain boxes are being ticked. 

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

Lily's point is there are plenty of women who should be playing these festivals and big slots on merit. Your the one who's introduced fantasy box ticking. 

But she hasn't named any acts who should be there instead, so what's her point? Lily Allen is the last person I'd consider the voice of reason anyway. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, justanothername said:

But if line ups are consisting are mainly male artists then surely there is a problem with equality in the music industry?

It depends what genre they are pushing. EDM is huge atm, but it's male dominated so there won't be as many female acts. 

Just come up with this pretty quickly.

Friday: Paramore, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Babymetal, PVRIS, Tonight Alive, Gogol Bordello, The Big Moon, Milk Teeth
Saturday: Arcade Fire, The xx, Lorde, HAIM, Metronomy, Creeper, Alvvays, Pale Waves, YONAKA
Sunday: Florence & the Machine, Dua Lipa, Faithless, M.I.A., Warpaint, Marmozets, Fickle Friends, Black Honey, Anteros

Haven't checked that all of those are definitely touring around R&L, but I'm pretty sure most of them would be available. I know that's only the main stage but I could go on. They could easily fill the lineup with more female acts if they wanted - IMO a main stage like that would be better than anything we're likely to get. Yes it's probably lacking in certain genres but really it could be a lot more representative than it has been in recent years. It's nothing to do with ticking boxes.

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

You're moaning at the lack of headliners and then saying only 2 acts could possibly headline. Make your mind up. 

No, I'm saying there aren't enough, and one way to begin to address that is to actively book the few suitable female acts they currently can, such as Florence and Paramore, which they seem to shun in favour of pointless male acts like Fall Out Boy.

I haven't seen what Lily Allen said but I'm assuming her point was about the whole Wireless lineup and in an effort to address the things I'm talking about, as opposed to "WHY AREN'T THERE FEMALES HEADLINING THEY SHOULD HAVE A FEMALE HEADLINER TO TICK A BOX BECAUSE THEN IT'LL BE EQUAL", which you seem to think is the case.

For the millionth time, I like bands based on the music, some have females, some don't. I couldn't really give a fuck tbh. It isn't that important. The sooner we stop acting like females in rock is a some new phenomenon, the better. They have been around since the 60s. 

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Just come up with this pretty quickly.

Friday: Paramore, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Babymetal, PVRIS, Tonight Alive, Gogol Bordello, The Big Moon, Milk Teeth
Saturday: Arcade Fire, The xx, Lorde, HAIM, Metronomy, Creeper, Alvvays, Pale Waves, YONAKA
Sunday: Florence & the Machine, Dua Lipa, Faithless, M.I.A., Warpaint, Marmozets, Fickle Friends, Black Honey, Anteros

Haven't checked that all of those are definitely touring around R&L, but I'm pretty sure most of them would be available. I know that's only the main stage but I could go on. They could easily fill the lineup with more female acts if they wanted - IMO a main stage like that would be better than anything we're likely to get. Yes it's probably lacking in certain genres but really it could be a lot more representative than it has been in recent years. It's nothing to do with ticking boxes.

Don't forget the secret set from Lily Allen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

But she hasn't named any acts who should be there instead, so what's her point? Lily Allen is the last person I'd consider the voice of reason anyway. 

You want someone to list all the acts with women in who could potentially fit at Wireless festival? Couldn't you do that shit yourself? 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

For the millionth time, I like bands based on the music, some have females, some don't. I couldn't really give a fuck tbh. It isn't that important. The sooner we stop acting like females in rock is a some new phenomenon, the better. They have been around since the 60s. 

The fact that this debate comes up and people say this every time is proof that it is important. It's a problem within the industry that needs addressing, and just because some blokes at home on their computers think it isn't important because it's never gonna affect them, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem for those female aspiring rock musicians out there who struggle to get opportunities or encouragement compared to their male peers, just for the fact they're female.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

You want someone to list all the acts with women in who could potentially fit at Wireless festival? Couldn't you do that shit yourself? 

No because I don't listen to that music. Perhaps Lily Allen could herself.