Lineup 2018

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Of course they shouldn't start booking acts just because they're female/have female members in the band. But if this two stage thing comes true and all 6 headliners are male when there are seemingly feasible female headline options about then there's something not right with that IMO. Florence would sell much better than FOB and/or ID, who both only played two years ago as well. Of course she may have other commitments, but this decade there's only been 2 female headliners at R&L (Arcade Fire & Paramore IIRC), and I feel they should be doing whatever they can to address that imbalance.

I agree that Florence would sell better than FOB/ID and I really don't want either back, but if the act isn't available the act isn't available, and I don't think the festival should go out of the way to book bands with any gendered people in it, just because they're that certain gender.

And how many acts are there that are actually available that have female members in, when at the same time there's not been better options?

Edited by KingPin

14 minutes ago, KingPin said:

I agree that Florence would sell better than FOB/ID and I really don't want either back, but if the act isn't available the act isn't available, and I don't think the festival should go out of the way to book bands with any gendered people in it, just because they're that certain gender.

Aye, and I'm aware that there's probably only three female acts that'd be feasible headliners at R&L nowadays (Paramore, Flo & Arcade Fire), and I would say they obviously can't start repeat booking them all the time, but then Imagine Dragons and Fall Out Boy might be playing again after only 2 years, so that clearly isn't an issue for the festival (if true). If they're not available they're not available yes, but Arcade Fire seem to be around at the end of August and I'm sure Paramore would make themselves available if R&L asked them to play. Don't know much about what Flo is doing.

Sorry if I'm coming across as pedantic and it's obviously an ongoing, yearly process to have less and less of an imbalance, but if there are 6 headliners then I'm sure they could've got at least 1 female act in there to make it more diverse if they wanted to.

Hopefully Chvrches and Wolf Alice will both be given big slots this year too. I can see them both going on to be (co)headliners in the near future, and that is part of the process - the festival should be trying to push up and coming female bands/artists, as they have done with many other acts over the years.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

30 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I guess, but you'd have thought they'd've booked Flo and/or Paramore (presuming they're available available) over FOB and/or Imagine Dragons who just seem pretty stale and only played 2 years ago.

It's the main issue I'm having with this 2 main stage thing if true. Not just the gender imbalance, but having 6 headliners would open up a lot of opportunities that seem wasted having ID/FOB play again.

Tbf I don't think Florence is supposed to have an album out by the Summer. Sounds like she's just doing a few festivals as a pre-album run (reckon she'll do Latitude here) and then presumably a proper festival tour next year, when I imagine she'll headline a major festival here.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Tbf I don't think Florence is supposed to have an album out by the Summer. Sounds like she's just doing a few festivals as a pre-album run (reckon she'll do Latitude here) and then presumably a proper festival tour next year, when I imagine she'll headline a major festival here.

Yeah fair, haven't heard too much about what her plans are. Has she been announced for anything yet?

46 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Which happens every year...

Yeah and last year they (Festival Republic) started an initiative to give funding and opportunities exclusively to bands with women at the forefront as the primary criterion. They clearly consider it a thing worth addressing and six headliners comprised of 25 blokes would and should be lamented.

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

ahh fair yeah she's probably at Latitude then

She’s playing Orange Warsaw or something too at the start of summer but yeah it seems her appearances will be rare. However I think seeing as she has had one album and six years since last playing she could be considered nonetheless - and if they booked her to headline a festival that she’s easily too big for while doling out headline slots to Fall Out Boy and Imagine Dragons, that’s pretty bad.

Edited by dentalplan

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah and last year they (Festival Republic) started an initiative to give funding and opportunities exclusively to bands with women at the forefront as the primary criterion. They clearly consider it a thing worth addressing and six headliners comprised of 25 blokes would and should be lamented.

She’s playing Orange Warsaw or something too at the start of summer but yeah it seems her appearances will be rare. However I think seeing as she has had one album and six years since last playing she could be considered nonetheless - and if they booked her to headline a festival that she’s easily too big for while doling out headline slots to Fall Out Boy and Imagine Dragons, that’s pretty bad.

Aye I was thinking that they'd probably want her to headline one of their festivals next year, too, though.

If FR can get her to do Latitude (which she is a big headliner for, but with no new material she might be seen as not a great booking at one of the big major festivals) this year and then R&L next year when she's got a new album and will probably be a better ticket seller then I think that'd be well played by them. Certainly better than doing it the other way around I reckon.

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye I was thinking that they'd probably want her to headline one of their festivals next year, too, though.

If FR can get her to do Latitude (which she is a big headliner for, but with no new material she might be seen as not a great booking at one of the big major festivals) this year and then R&L next year when she's got a new album and will probably be a better ticket seller then I think that'd be well played by them. Certainly better than doing it the other way around I reckon.

Maybe, but it''s fair to say that after headlining Glastonbury (as a replacement I realise) and Hyde Park, her being offered the chance to return to a festival she headlined a year after her debut album came out is kinda derisory. If it's a package deal and she's happy to do so and everything then fine.

But even then, Paramore are a more appropriate headliner than Fall Out Boy and they're not gonna have anything else that weekend that trumps doing the only festival they can headline anywhere in the world

Edited by dentalplan

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

TBH, if 1975 are playing next year (which I think most people expect) I doubt they'll also book Florence as that would probably be too samey

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe, but it''s fair to say that after headlining Glastonbury (as a replacement I realise) and Hyde Park, her being offered the chance to return to a festival she headlined a year after her debut album came out is kinda derisory. If it's a package deal and she's happy to do so and everything then fine.

But even then, Paramore are a more appropriate headliner than Fall Out Boy and they're not gonna have anything else that weekend that trumps doing the only festival they can headline anywhere in the world

Aye FOB over Paramore is a very strange one. Only thing I could think of is FOB being prepared to headline a second main stage and Paramore not.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Is that just me? :P Would have expected both Florence and 1975 cater to basically the same crowd (and they usually like to vary it up). This is assuming that they are 2/3 headliners and the 2 stage thing is false.

Oh right I thought you meant that they sounded alike. I have no idea really whether they appeal to the same crowd but I can imagine there have been many years where they have two headliners appeal to very similar crowds so I couldn't see it mattering that much.

1 hour ago, KingPin said:

Why are people still caught up on the gender thing? The only things that are relevant is, is the music good, and does the act pull the punters through the door, that's the only thing that should be considered when booking acts.

Yeah why book female artists when it's all about the quality? Rat Boy, The Hunna and Imagine Dragons are all we need.

Seriously though, last year they seemed to try a tiny bit harder than the past couple of years which is good, the argument about the band being quality doesn't really make sense to me when the lineup is filled with so much interchangeable shite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah I see both sides of the argument in terms of the gender thing and repeat bookings. But availability and what's best for the festival (wether that coincides with our opinion or not) should be overriding factors. Plus if they're imagining Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Flo, etc can all play high slots/headline in the next couple of years, does it matter if it's all blokes this year? 

And unquestionably, in terms of people the fest wants to attract, there just aren't that many female options right now, even if that is a consequence of gender prejudice in the industry as a whole for the last century. 

29 minutes ago, Dan Wilcox said:

Yeah I see both sides of the argument in terms of the gender thing and repeat bookings. But availability and what's best for the festival (wether that coincides with our opinion or not) should be overriding factors. Plus if they're imagining Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Flo, etc can all play high slots/headline in the next couple of years, does it matter if it's all blokes this year? 

And unquestionably, in terms of people the fest wants to attract, there just aren't that many female options right now, even if that is a consequence of gender prejudice in the industry as a whole for the last century. 

But when they've created such a thing that the festival isn't gonna die because of one or two naff headline bookings - again, attention towards Fall Out Boy and Imagine Dragons - then why are they shit scared of booking women in those slots? If this is all true they're straight up creating headline slots out of thin air and still not giving them to women who have proven they can headline festivals like this. It's much better PR in today's world to have one potentially weak headliner that has a woman at the forefront as opposed to six strong ones that don't - there will be outrage if they've seemingly doubled the headline slots available and can't pass one to a woman or female-featuring act.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Say it is all male. Apart from Paramore, who could headline who is female or a female frontman. I can only think of:

Bjork - not suited to R&L

Blondie - not very good, wouldn't sell

Flo & the Mac - go ahead

Cvrches - not big enough yet

Madonna - would be jokes

Katy Perry - would be jokes in a good way

Lady GaGa - I'd enjoy but R&L 18yo's wouldn't care - I was at uni when Poker Face came out

Beyonce - not a chance unless she joined Jay-Z & they'd book Drake, Kanye etc over him despite his sets being amazing (see Wireless or Hackney Weekend)

Rihanna - see you at the new V with Calvin

Rita Ora - no chance

Lorde - not a headliner but decent

Milly - she goes to Leeds now

edit: I meant female frontwoman

Edited by Bisque

10 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Say it is all male. Apart from Paramore, who could headline who is female or a female frontman. I can only think of:

Flo & the Mac - go ahead

Madonna - would be jokes

Lady GaGa - I'd enjoy but R&L 18yo's wouldn't care - I was at uni when Poker Face came out

Beyonce - not a chance unless she joined Jay-Z & they'd book Drake, Kanye etc over him despite his sets being amazing (see Wireless or Hackney Weekend)

Rita Ora - no chance

What about Pixie Lott? You know her well, don't you?

13 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Flo & the Mac - go ahead

Madonna - would be jokes

Rita Ora - no chance

Paramore or Florence for this year. Possibly even Chvrches, I don't think that'd be a ridiculous suggestion given they've already played directly before headliners at R+L and are due a new album out soon.

I don't see why we need to discount two or three seemingly perfectly possible headliners when they seem to have tried to get every possible headliner and then some this year. :lol:

Hi everyone, I’m quite new to the site but I have various things that have been passed to me recently and flicking through, some things contradict my information.

- Foos will be there, 100%, AM - no chance.

- The two stage thing is not happening

- Unfortunately there most likely won’t be an announcement this week

- Don’t be so sure on Kendrick, other big names from the genre were being looked at, potentially to reach out to former V customers <_<

Anyway, really enjoying the thread

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, AYW13 said:

- Don’t be so sure on Kendrick, other big names from the genre were being looked at, potentially to reach out to former V customers <_<

Anyway, really enjoying the thread

Why would they be pulling at ex V Festival customers when it's very clear that there's gonna be a festival replacing it?