Lineup 2018

12 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Did they re-brand the stages a year before they re-branded the posters, then? Bit weird but fair enough.

Yeah I think they did. I remember the stages being a surprise, and then the posters tied in with the re-branding the following year 

4 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It's a justifiable point, but I'd argue they have more of a crossover with Foos fans tbf. They've supported Foos before and definitely appeal more to a hard rock crowd than an indie crowd.

And royal blood have supported Arctics before, although I'd agree they have slightly more cross over with Foos.

6 minutes ago, aaalive said:

A very strange random version: is it possible for the festival to increase the capacity? It's reasonable cause no Glastonbury, also it makes two stages thing and AM + Foos thing possible

No, the sites are exactly the same so they won't be safely able to increase capacity I'd imagine.

6 minutes ago, aaalive said:

A very strange random version: is it possible for the festival to increase the capacity? It's reasonable cause no Glastonbury, also it makes two stages thing and AM + Foos thing possible

The 2 stage info also said FOB, BMTH, Royal Blood, Kendrick and Imagine Dragons will be there. All 5 of them would headline in that situation and then there's only space left for one of Foos and AM.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Clutching at straws I think. Much more likely for a headliner to leak; loads more people behind the scenes will be aware of who's headlining. Wouldn't be surprised if secret sets are sorted much later on, either.

No I agree with you 100%. Im saying that thats the only way Dan’s info can be true and have both foos and AM headlining. Although I would obvsly bet on of them only headlining. 

10 minutes ago, Dan Wilcox said:

My info only said BMTH had been offered, so it's feasible a deal couldn't be done. That leaves FOB/RB/ID/Kendrick + 2. (Foos/Arctics/Paramore/Florence/whoever). 

Aye but I dunno if you've seen but someone told us yesterday that BMTH have an arena tour that's under embargo until 24th August which would suggest them playing R&L.

Guess if they were offered the slot and weren't gonna have an album out in time they could agree to a secret set (and to headline next year) and then announce their arena tour afterwards.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You'd think/hope that they'd at least try to have more of a range in diversity with 6 headliners, so if FOB/RB/ID/Kendrick are the first 4 I'd hope at least one of the others is either Paramore/Florence. Would look pretty embarrassing having a 6 headliner sausage fest.

Probably got Beyoncé/Jay-Z co-subbing, though.

Praying that it stays the same set up but having been to Glastonbury with 2 main stages and Download Festival France with 2 main stages I do see the benefits but worry about the removal of other stages or facilities just to accommodate another main stage. Leeds is big but it can be crammed whenever seeing a big act. Trying to get back to camp from Kasabian last year was a fucking nightmare

IMG_6595.PNG

1 minute ago, Alfrancis1989 said:

Praying that it stays the same set up but having been to Glastonbury with 2 main stages and Download Festival France with 2 main stages I do see the benefits but worry about the removal of other stages or facilities just to accommodate another main stage. Leeds is big but it can be crammed whenever seeing a big act. Trying to get back to camp from Kasabian last year was a fucking nightmare

IMG_6595.PNG

Glastonbury doesn't have two main stages, it's just a bigger festival than R&L so its second stage is much bigger than R&L's second stage. If it ends up happening most of us think it'll be similar to some European festivals (and how Reading used to be) where they have two main stages next to each other and the bands alternate.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye but I dunno if you've seen but someone told us yesterday that BMTH have an arena tour that's under embargo until 24th August which would suggest them playing R&L.

Guess if they were offered the slot and weren't gonna have an album out in time they could agree to a secret set (and to headline next year) and then announce their arena tour afterwards.

Either way makes sense I guess. Personally I'm just hoping they're not on the line up. 

1 minute ago, Alfrancis1989 said:

Kasabian definitely had the smallest crowd of the three headliners last year too.

Having said that, I was pretty close to the barrier for Muse and don't recall it being too bad getting back to camp. I've definitely experienced it being worse, guess it depends on multiple factors i.e. weather / getting caught in a bad flow of the crowd back etc.

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You'd think/hope that they'd at least try to have more of a range in diversity with 6 headliners, so if FOB/RB/ID/Kendrick are the first 4 I'd hope at least one of the others is either Paramore/Florence. Would look pretty embarrassing having a 6 headliner sausage fest.

If the fest is genuinely worried about this then just split the headliner announcement so you announce a couple of headliners and a few more high acts with females at the same time, eg Foos + ID + Wolf Alice then Kendrick + FOB + Chvrches etc. 

Just can't imagine they go out of their way when booking top acts to ensure there's a good number of females in high slots. 

8 minutes ago, Dan Wilcox said:

If the fest is genuinely worried about this then just split the headliner announcement so you announce a couple of headliners and a few more high acts with females at the same time, eg Foos + ID + Wolf Alice then Kendrick + FOB + Chvrches etc. 

Just can't imagine they go out of their way when booking top acts to ensure there's a good number of females in high slots. 

Yeah I guess, but you'd have thought they'd've booked Flo and/or Paramore (presuming they're available available) over FOB and/or Imagine Dragons who just seem pretty stale and only played 2 years ago.

It's the main issue I'm having with this 2 main stage thing if true. Not just the gender imbalance, but having 6 headliners would open up a lot of opportunities that seem wasted having ID/FOB play again.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Why are people still caught up on the gender thing? The only things that are relevant is, is the music good, and does the act pull the punters through the door, that's the only thing that should be considered when booking acts.

Of course they shouldn't start booking acts just because they're female/have female members in the band. But if this two stage thing comes true and all 6 headliners are male when there are seemingly feasible female headline options about then there's something not right with that IMO. Florence would sell much better than FOB and/or ID, who both only played two years ago as well. Of course she may have other commitments, but this decade there's only been 2 female headliners at R&L (Arcade Fire & Paramore IIRC), and I feel they should be doing whatever they can to address that imbalance.