Lineup 2018

Just thought about a number of acts; what are the chances of the following being at randl this year and where would you expect them to be billed ... Jamie T, miles Kane, Noel G, the kooks, the wombats, the amazons, peace, the black keys, jake bugg and nothing but thieves. Thank you

Edited by AM0114

25 minutes ago, AM0114 said:

Just thought about a number of acts; what are the chances of the following being at randl this year and where would you expect them to be billed ... Jamie T, miles Kane, Noel G, the kooks, the wombats, the amazons, peace, the black keys, jake bugg and nothing but thieves. Thank you

Likely: Amazons, NBT

Maybe: Wombats, Kooks, Peace

Unlikely: all the others

37 minutes ago, Alfie Clayton said:

use to be a huge fan of them! but since the second album they have become a more Christian rock/pop band and meh nah not that great! first album was alright tho! but always wanted to see em' live

Tbh at reading 2016 they weren't acc too bad because they only had album 1 and 2 out by that point which were okay. Or maybe I was just so excited to see RHCP after them that. But the 3rd album is by far a shift into pop and it's genuinely a very bad album imo and I don't say that about much music. My mate offered me a spare ticket to see them at the o2 next month and I said yes cos I just like going to gigs but I hope they just play stuff from first album mainly because that wasn't actually too bad. It was quite a good album imo tbh. But after this cycle they are a complete pop band imo.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Would a If BMTH would take it do you think they might go for a BMTH/Royal blood coheadline? Kinda worried that may be a bit heavy but BMTH+Royal Blood // Foo Fighters // Kendrick Lamar would be way more preferable to Imagine Dragons lol

if true, I'd say it gives more weight to the 2 main stage thing

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

if true, I'd say it gives more weight to the 2 main stage thing

Well, the 2 stage thing as discussed would still have one headliner (or a set of coheadliners everyday if they market it like the FoB one in 2016?) as they are just next door to each other.

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Well, the 2 stage thing as discussed would still have one headliner (or a set of coheadliners everyday if they market it like the FoB one in 2016?) as they are just next door to each other.

What I was getting at was that even if BMTH are there I still think Imagine Dragons will be too, given that the 2 main stage info came with both those names.

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

@Dan Wilcox said that BMTH have been offered a slot, and the guy (Buko) has been here for a while so I doubt is lying. 

Edited by Steve1000

Well in for BMTH if that’s true. They’ve been away for a while now and absence makes the heart grow stronger and all that. I’ve moaned about them as a live band for a while now, but I know I’ll probably give them another go (for better or for worse). It really does hinge on this next album as if they move further into the realms of pop / electronic than TTS that will be the cut off point. 

I do believe the 2 main stage thing could be true and I do believe all those 6 acts could be booked this year.

But together they all seem so uninspiring considering the opportunities opened by having a second main stage. They could book some acts they wouldn't have considered before from different genres, but all of those acts (bar Foos) have played really prominent slots since 2015. And even Foos headlined in 2012. It wouldn't feel like they've taken advantage of a second stage if that really is what the top 6 is going to look like.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Well in for BMTH if that’s true. They’ve been away for a while now and absence makes the heart grow stronger and all that. I’ve moaned about them as a live band for a while now, but I know I’ll probably give them another go (for better or for worse). It really does hinge on this next album as if they move further into the realms of pop / electronic than TTS that will be the cut off point. 

Same here. Although I won't be seeing them if the new albums like TTS because there'll probably only be about 3 good songs in their setlist.

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I don't think anyone thinks he was lying, just maybe not that his source is correct. For example, I still can't see Fall Out Boy being there....

They've got an new album out, and technically only subbed. Also they can probably get away with pulling a hijinx like that if there's 5 other headliners.

Edited by Steve1000

I’ve also got it on good authority that the Courteeners will be there, but I don’t trust the source half as much as the source that informed me of BMTH. 

In review: 

meh source: Courteeners at R&L 

Solid Source: BMTH embargo date 

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Same here. Although I won't be seeing them if the new albums like TTS because there'll probably only be about 3 good songs in their setlist.

They've got an new album out, and technically only subbed. Also they can probably getting away with pulling a hijinx like that if there's 5 other headliners.

Sempiternal Stuff is going to start getting dropped from the setlist too, isn’t it :( I know it won’t happen but I would love if TTS was some sort of Trojan horse to get them to the top and now they’re there they go back to Sempiternal style heaviness, because people will lap up whatever they release next anyway. 

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

They've got an new album out, and technically only subbed. Also they can probably getting away with pulling a hijinx like that if there's 5 other headliners.

They marketed it as a coheadliner though, if the issue with rebooking acts like paramore is that it doesnt show growth and looks like the same boring set of headliners then surely FoB (who also only played 2 years ago) is an even worse example of that. I would argue FoB's last 3 albums have been a bigger hit to their popularity than After Laughter was to Paramore's too....

FOB’s new effort is even worse that the last, which I didn’t think was possible. They are awful at making pop music. It isn’t even good pop music. They've always drawn parallels with Panic! but at least Panic are decent at being a pop band and Brendon Urie knows how to write pop songs. I remember when Patrick Stump brought out that awful solo album in the time FOB weren't active and that was a terrible attempt at pop too. Who is hearing FOB for the first time in 2018 and thinking ‘Wow, what is that. I really like the sound of that!’ :lol: ?