Lineup 2018

1 minute ago, j.gibbard said:

I agree, it all sounds so convoluted, and I doubt the feedback would be positive, what with all the possible clashes

Most of us seem to agree it'd probably be like what some European festivals do where they have two main stages side by side and the acts alternate. It means there's always something on on the main stages and there's never any overlap.

Lollapalooza Berlin do it meaning when I went there in 2016 we were able to see Major Lazer headline the 2nd main stage between the proper main stage sub (James Blake) and headliner (Radiohead), instead of just standing there waiting for an hour

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kurt Darmanin said:

Imagine if this guy got it right 2years ago.

1 minute ago, Jack w said:

still surprises me how accurate he could be

pretty sure nobody could get this close for 2020 headliners right now.

To be fair, their schedules were pretty easy to predict - at the time looking at 2018 it would've been 4 years since the last Foos album, 5 years since the last AM album and 3 since the last Kendrick album. I think I was predicting Foos and Kendrick to release earlyish 2018 and AM to release late 2017, got them the wrong way round in retrospect but the fundamentals of what I was thinking were there.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Presume two of them will be Arctic Monkeys and BearFur if AM aren't there this year. Anyone could luckily guess the third one right now.

yeah was thinking all sorts of changes and emerges can happen in two years but this one has stayed pretty accurate, guess we will see in two years.

Edited by Jack w

24 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They're probably not quite as big as the others though. They'd essentially be 'subs', or third down, not even sure how it'd work/what to call it anymore.

ah i guess i overestimated their popularity then lol

Getting that top 6 & then adding on the likes of Panic! & Wolf Alice would surely make this one hell of a strong lineup though. fingers crossed. 

Imo, the lineup would look stronger having Royal Blood (even coheadlining with Imagine Dragons), Foos and Kendrick than having all those 6 but a weaker undercard as a result.

Everyone already knows those 6 acts whether you're a fan of them or not, and although it'd likely sell very well I'd say it's jeopardising the future of the festival if it starts favouring booking more big headliners at the cost of the undercard, where you find all the up and coming headliners. And if this is the first year of them doing it, and 2/6 coheadlined/subbed only 2 years ago, it's not looking great is it.

A festival shouldn't just be about the biggest headliners they can get. The best sets tend to be from the undercard / discovering new acts you didn't know about previously. Idk, I just don't think it'd be a great move for the festival.

I'm leaning towards what others have been predicting with Imagine Dragons co-headlining rather than Paramore. Realised NIN are the last sub they booked that had already subbed before, and that was a reunion and a band who were never gonna reach higher than that.

Reckon Imagine Dragons co-headlining with Royal Blood and CHVRCHES subbing Kendrick instead. They always seem to book CHVRCHES when they can, too.

I’ve noticed over the past few years at Leeds that the early Main Stage bands have been getting really really small crowds. I think that’s due to what @Gucci Piggy (I think, apologies if it wasn’t) mentioned about how he’s been to R&L and seen o many people just doss around in the campsite until late afternoon. I’ve seen that trend increase myself year on year for the eight I’ve been going to Leeds.

So if they get bigger bands to play by having two main stages, essentially having a top 5 on each stage going one after the other, so it’s still the same amount of bands, it might make people more inclined to get into the arena as they will be bigger, more we’ll know names rather than having bands like VANT and Pins and Against The Current playing to barely anybody. 

Edited by Andre91

44 minutes ago, Hawky said:

I can't understand why they'd make such a drastic change to the format, a year there's no Glasto. Surely it would be safer to stick to what everyone knows, and attract some of Glasto's punters to RnL by securing a solid lineup to guarantee sales. We might end up in a situation where we've essentially got 6 'coheadliners' topping the bill, and will that look appealing? I think the change would confuse people more than excite them. (Also, fuck Imagine Dragons, I've endured them so many times, and theyre getting gradually worse; why does the lead singer remove his shirt all of a sudden like he's a real 'rockstar'? That annoyed me at Leeds in 2016)

The only time I've experienced anything like 2 main stages was T in 2015, and they got that incredibly wrong (they'd just moved to a new sight) so I'm a little apprehensive.

I understand it might happen but we'll just have to wait and see what materialises over the next 2 weeks, not taking anything for certain this year :lol:

Well, this year would be a great time to try shake things up as there is a bigger market to try it out and maybe keep them on the hook for next year. And if we get more headliners then it promises more variety going forward. I don’t agree that six coheadliners would be a bad thing; back in the day there would be three headliners every year, sure, but how many of those would’ve been coheadliners if they thought about doing that earlier? Doesn’t make them any stronger that they got to start playing later.

Another plus side I’ve figured out to another stage is that main stage shows won’t get ruined by people waiting for the next act cos they probably won’t be waiting at the front of the alternate stage.

Edited by dentalplan

Just had to read and catch up : o So some now think foos are not going to be there. I still think they will be there imo! Its a good opportunity for R&L to book them as the tickets would sell amazingly! People just cant get there minds away from AM. Yes they are back but there are no indications towards them being a rumour apart from some people on here saying that they are going to be there? No evidence whereas foos have stuff to back up reasons for them, being there? 

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm leaning towards what others have been predicting with Imagine Dragons co-headlining rather than Paramore. Realised NIN are the last sub they booked that had already subbed before, and that was a reunion and a band who were never gonna reach higher than that.

Reckon Imagine Dragons co-headlining with Royal Blood and CHVRCHES subbing Kendrick instead. They always seem to book CHVRCHES when they can, too.

Aye pretty much why I changed my mind on Imagine Dragons too, having thought about it it just seemed to make sense. You're prediction is sounding very similar to mine aha, I've currently got Travis Scott 'subbing' the coheadliners, CHVRCHES subbing Kendrick and Courteeners subbing Foos.

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve noticed over the past few years at Leeds that the early Main Stage bands have been getting really really small crowds. I think that’s due to that @Gucci Piggy (I think, apologies if it wasn’t) mentioned about how he’s been to R&L and so many people just doss around in the campsite until late afternoon. I’ve seen that trend increase myself year on year for the eight I’ve been going to Leeds. So if they get bigger bands to play by having two main stages, essentially having a top 4/5 on each stage going one after the other, so it’s still the same amount of bands, it might make people more inclined to get into the arena as they will be bigger, more we’ll know names rather than having bands like VANT and Pins and Against The Current playing to barely anybody. 

You could also argue though that having a really strong 6 at the top (which will essentially just be when headliners / subs normally play) and then a weaker undercard as a result would discourage even more from going into the arena early. You're probably getting your moneys worth from the 2 headliners alone, so you wouldn't feel like you're wasting anything by spending most of the time in the camp throughout the day.

2 minutes ago, Edduk98 said:

Just had to read and catch up : o So some now think foos are not going to be there. I still think they will be there imo! Its a good opportunity for R&L to book them as the tickets would sell amazingly! People just cant get there minds away from AM. Yes they are back but there are no indications towards them being a rumour apart from some people on here saying that they are going to be there? No evidence whereas foos have stuff to back up reasons for them, being there? 

Aye I'm thinking similar to you. Foos would obviously sell really well, and although there is so much hype for the AM return I think their fans are just incredibly vocal which is making it seem more essential for the festival to book them than it really is.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Aye I'm thinking similar to you. Foos would obviously sell really well, and although there is so much hype for the AM return I think their fans are just incredibly vocal which is making it seem more essential for the festival to book them than it really is.

Yeah 100%! I can understand the hype for AM but i seriously feel like Foos are set for R&L this year! All you have to do is look at Twitter with everyone saying AM are nailed on when they clearly are not :/ If both Foos and AM got a spot that would be great but im hoping more for Foos rather than AM...

Also regarding The Vaccines, I know a lot of people have been predicting them to be 3rd main, but they've had that slot the last 2 times they played in 2012 and 2016 (granted 2016 was coheadliner sub, but that's still essentially 3rd down). It would seem excessive to book them in that slot again, so I reckon they're probably more likely for NME headliners, or possibly subbing Foos with the same logic that people are applying to Courteeners. I guess it depends if there's enough hype around them still, but it'd be unlike R&L to give the same band the same prominent slot 3 times in a row that they've played.

1 minute ago, Edduk98 said:

Yeah 100%! I can understand the hype for AM but i seriously feel like Foos are set for R&L this year! All you have to do is look at Twitter with everyone saying AM are nailed on when they clearly are not :/ If both Foos and AM got a spot that would be great but im hoping more for Foos rather than AM...

I agree, I wanted AM until I thought I can see AM over the next two years at venues and other festivals potentially and the atmosphere and setlist would be dead since some will only know some songs off the latest 'AM' and good tunes off Humbug and SIAS will be dismissed and don't get me started on fan girls. Foo Fighters will have an amazing atmosphere and won't see them in England for the next few years so they will be better booking. Songs like Hey Johnny Park and Monkey Wrench are great songs and All my life and Best of you most will know, making a better atmosphere plus the act bandwagon would be Kendrick so less people who know one song. AM won't be there and thats a good thing. Cannot wait to see the reaction but theres plenty of opportunity to see them soon so why moan?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alfrancis1989 said:

First time posting in this forum!

This will be my 10th Leeds fest on the bounce, they better not start fucking about with 2 main stages. It hit a good level last year of acts and it being over crowded at times

Welcome my friend and I agree, it did.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Aye pretty much why I changed my mind on Imagine Dragons too, having thought about it it just seemed to make sense. You're prediction is sounding very similar to mine aha, I've currently got Travis Scott 'subbing' the coheadliners, CHVRCHES subbing Kendrick and Courteeners subbing Foos.

You could also argue though that having a really strong 6 at the top (which will essentially just be when headliners / subs normally play) and then a weaker undercard as a result would discourage even more from going into the arena early. You're probably getting your moneys worth from the 2 headliners alone, so you wouldn't feel like you're wasting anything by spending most of the time in the camp throughout the day.

Yeah I've got exactly the same :lol: Was initially thinking Vampire Weekend instead of Travis Scott with him being at Wireless rather than R&L, but I just can't see Vampire Weekend being there now, really, and can't think of any other options if Wolf Alice are on the NME.

4 minutes ago, jimbozo said:

Hi I'm new here can someone be so kind as to fill me in on the line up rumours (:

Foo Fighters, Kendrick Lamar and a Royal Blood/BearFur co-headline is what most of us are expecting.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Also regarding The Vaccines, I know a lot of people have been predicting them to be 3rd main, but they've had that slot the last 2 times they played in 2012 and 2016 (granted 2016 was coheadliner sub, but that's still essentially 3rd down). It would seem excessive to book them in that slot again, so I reckon they're probably more likely for NME headliners, or possibly subbing Foos with the same logic that people are applying to Courteeners. I guess it depends if there's enough hype around them still, but it'd be unlike R&L to give the same band the same prominent slot 3 times in a row that they've played.

Yeah I got rid of them for this reason plus the fact they're subbing Community and none of the big (top 4 or something) acts there last year played R&L. If Wolf Alice weren't supposedly on the NME I'd probably have them on before the co-headliners and The Vaccines headlining NME opposite Kendrick but there you go. Can't see either of Wolf Alice/The Vaccines opposite Royal Blood/Imagine Dragons/Paramore/Foos. Maybe The Vaccines would be fine opposite Foos idk.

Current rumours/leaks I remember being posted in this forum:

- Kendrick Lamar // Royal Blood // Fall Out Boy // Imagine Dragons (+ 2 more, maybe BMTH

- Arctic Monkeys // Green Day // Kendrick Lamar

- Kendrick Lamar // Paramore // Foo Fighters

- Kendrick Lamar to headline (from efestivals rumours page)

Did I miss any?

Either way, Kendrick is in every single one so hopefullyyyyyyy

• Like 1