Lineup 2018

Realistically at Reading would there be any space to put a new outdoor stage without having to get rid of any old ones?

At Leeds it could probably work if they got rid of Yellow camp/the silent disco arena and put it there (yellow on this map is where the current stages are with the main stage towards the top, the red area is where I could see them fitting a new stage).

But that wouldn't fit the 'side by side' thing people have talked about. I just couldn't see that fitting in at Leeds unless they made the main stage a bit smaller, but then again what would be the point. It's such a compromise.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 11.38.48.png

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope. Some of us have done it before at Reading Fest.

I'll defer to you on this, I just think it's a risk and needs to be well managed - T in the Park got this badly wrong at Strathallen for example.

34 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Also I've been thinking about the two main stage thing, and I reckon if it was legit then the new main stage would have bigger dance/electronic headliners to provide variety against the predominantly rock headliners on the old main stage, kinda like how the other stage is at Glastonbury. Think that'd work pretty well, but the big names Dan gave us; FoB, Royal Blood, BMTH, Kendrick & Imagine Dragons (and then assuming Foos would be the 6th) doesn't scream 3 rock headliners and 3 alternative/dance headliners does it. You'd have rock bands clashing in that scenario, and so there doesn't seem much point making a new second stage that'll just piss people off with major clashes and failing to provide real variety. So given that either all his info is correct or none of it is, I'm siding on none of it being legit. Just doesn't seem to make sense.

The only thing I would add is there's obviously been an increase in coheadliners in recent years, so a second main stage could be on the festivals mind to try and book more 'almost there' acts. But I don't think anything major like that is gonna change this year.

FOB are essentially a pop band nowadays so I can see it being. 

Foos/Royal Blood/BMTH

FoB/Imagine Dragons/Kendrick

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The thing I don't get is that the festival already sells out (at least at Reading) so there ain't really any point in changing this drastically. If sales are dropping off (which they obviously aren't atm) then maybe a change is worthwhile? I'm pretty sure they can't increase the capacity at Reading, so it ain't like they're trying to do that either.

Financially, it just seems to make no sense (especially as they'd have to pay for another 2 stages to be designed&built).

Maybe try a new approach for a bigger margin. I think are forgetting they can also make cut backs. If they're going to have 2 main stages with 6 headliners they're clearly going to cut costs elsewhere which could be anything from less acts per a stage or entire stage getting binned (which I see being very likely) 

30 minutes ago, WFD said:

There were a few suggestions further up that it would be a 'side by side' set up, with the main stages alternating.  You can see some logic in this, keeps a lot of people down one end of the site, but at the same time the surges between stages would be difficult to manage, particularly later in the day.

If they had this set up, at the expense of the NME it would be a poorer deal for the punter - firstly you wouldn't have as many acts across the whole day as you would from existing main+NME, secondly you wouldn't have a biggish alternative to the last main stage headliner.

(Edit - in response to SomeoneListeningIn's point on the stages).

But does the average punter care about most of the smaller/mid size acts. When I went most of my mates only went into the arena like after 7pm. 

21 minutes ago, Breakfast club said:

Just a thought do you reckon that this years line up has been heldup because Festival Republic are still trying to work out what the new V fest will be? 

No, it's mostly down to FR changing the PR team for the event. There will be a different approach to line up announcements. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WFD said:

I'll defer to you on this, I just think it's a risk and needs to be well managed - T in the Park got this badly wrong at Strathallen for example.

they didn't do two main stages side by side.

Two main stages side by side was how Reading ran for around a decade. From what I remember I think the first time they had a (separate) second stage was around 1990.

(PS: no idea if R/L are actually doing this again, just to be clear ... I'm just making the point that it's a set-up that works.)

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, Properbigfan said:

Any chance you could tell us what this is

just a rumour i heard, same as others have. Whether or not mine and other people's have come from the same place I've no idea, nor can i meaningfully rate how likely it is to be right.

My guess has always been that it'll be Kendrick this year, so perhaps I've gone with confirmation bias.