Lineup 2018

This isn't exactly on the topic of R&L, but it'll certainly contribute in the long run.

Is it worth going to gigs on your own? Genuine question, I've missed a load just because no one wants to come. I'm usually only traveling about half an hour to Birmingham from Coventry so I was just wondering if anyone here does it and if it's actually a good idea?

Only bringing this up now as my friend has pulled out of coming to a gig with me and I really want to go. Anyway yeah, any advice/experience would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

This isn't exactly on the topic of R&L, but it'll certainly contribute in the long run.

Is it worth going to gigs on your own? Genuine question, I've missed a load just because no one wants to come. I'm usually only traveling about half an hour to Birmingham from Coventry so I was just wondering if anyone here does it and if it's actually a good idea?

Only bringing this up now as my friend has pulled out of coming to a gig with me and I really want to go. Anyway yeah, any advice/experience would be appreciated.

I find I usually go with a group but once it starts I lose them and it doesn't affect the enjoyment at all. Think it all depends on who you're seeing though.

1 minute ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I find I usually go with a group but once it starts I lose them and it doesn't affect the enjoyment at all. Think it all depends on who you're seeing though.

Alright, cheers. I did exactly that at Royal Blood and still found it enjoyable like you say. Just wondering whether it's worth travelling and doing everything solo. The band in particular my friend has dropped out of seeing that I'd still like to go to is Don Broco.

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

You are foolish if you pass up this opportunity aha there'll be loads of pits which is what makes it enjoyable if i'm on my own i reckon so you'll be fine. 

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking, and made Royal Blood so great. I've seen them once at a small festival but I'd love to see them in a proper venue with proper pits and all so yeah I think I will go cheers.

13 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

If you really want to go then I’d say go for it, no point missing out on a band you really want to see. You might end up not liking it but it’s certainly worth a try. I’ve been to plenty of gigs on my own and depending on the band I sometimes prefer it, can be easier to get into it without having a friend chatting to you every second song. The only time I sometimes find it awkward is inbetween bands when I’m just on my phone for half an hour but if you’re more sociable than me there’s always plenty of other people there themselves too. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I’m very lucky that I have a group of friends who are up for pretty much any gig, but on the chance they haven’t been able to make it I’ve gone to a few on my own before. I always get chatting to random people in the crowd and have a great time. I’d definitely do it, especially if it is something you are really keen to see :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

Do it. I've done it loads and while the first time it is a bit odd you get used to it. You also might meet new people. I met my best mate at Uni after I went to see The Wonder Years by myself and we got talking afterwards. I just think why should I let my mates hold me back from seeing the bands I want to see, if no one wants to go why should that stop me. Luckily I've slowly made friends are into the same music as me but even then if there are tours I want to go I still wont hesitate on going by myself. I'm not that social either really, just get my phone out between acts but I'd rather see the artists I want that not go at all.

It does come with some perks as well, I get to turn up when I want (which is normally like 10 mins before the band I want to see) and I get decide where to stand. I sometimes prefer it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I've gone to a bunch of gigs by myself and the only time I noticed was between acts (as you dont have anyone know to talk to, so you either have to make conversation with randoms or just do something on your phone).

Defo a lot easier to get a good spot though. You can push through into smaller gaps etc. if you're by yourself

Thanks a lot everyone. I've always been considering going to gigs on my own since Reading last year I often ended up going off to see who I wanted. Glad I've finally asked to a really positive response. I definitely won't hold back when wanting to see someone now. Cheers all!

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Luckily I've slowly made friends are into the same music as me

I really need to do this It's getting so frustrating that the only place I can properly talk about music and fests and that and have a proper conversation is on the internet, and that I have to drag my friend to gigs of bands he hasn't heard of so I'm not alone lmao. Also meeting someone else who plays music would be great aghh just wanna start a band or jam at least but somehow I know liteally nobody that plays.

38 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I went to Reading with a big group of people and in terms of actually seeing acts on the weekend I did so maybe 80% on my own. I'm also seeing Foos twice in June on my own and saw GNR on my own. You almost always makes friends with people around you, the only negative is you have to travel on your own but since you live in Coventry it's not that big of a deal. Definitely still go.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

If you really want to go then I’d say go for it, no point missing out on a band you really want to see. You might end up not liking it but it’s certainly worth a try. I’ve been to plenty of gigs on my own and depending on the band I sometimes prefer it, can be easier to get into it without having a friend chatting to you every second song. The only time I sometimes find it awkward is inbetween bands when I’m just on my phone for half an hour but if you’re more sociable than me there’s always plenty of other people there themselves too. 

Agree entirely, no point missing out for want of someone to go with. And if it's someone I really want to see, I don't want someone standing there bored and slagging it off on the way home.

Don Broco aren't the best example maybe but with the gaps that bands tend to have between each album/tour it's not worth missing a chance to see them when you might not get another chance for a long time.  I'm older than most on this thread and I'm still kicking myself at missing certain bands (altogether or in their heyday) back in the day.

I go to plenty of gigs on my own but funnily enough never go to the cinema alone, even though there's even less need to have someone there with you, probably because I'm more interested in music than film, and of course with films there's always other ways to see them eventually.

on here 

5 minutes ago, w0lfalic321 said:

When will we get an announcement! Its so late 

Welcome to the forum!

R&L have stated 'early 2018' which most of us are guessing late january or early february. This is because the festival have a new PR company therefore it is most likely that they have just decided to change the times and format that they release the lineup.

2 hours ago, Jayvk said:

Alright, cheers. I did exactly that at Royal Blood and still found it enjoyable like you say. Just wondering whether it's worth travelling and doing everything solo. The band in particular my friend has dropped out of seeing that I'd still like to go to is Don Broco.

I’ll come with u