Lineup 2018

2 hours ago, R Shah said:

Yes you're right , because there was a survey for community festival where literally everyone I know picked two door cinema club or 1975 - And two door cinema club are now headlining that. FR organise community so there could be an impact on the artists at R+L based on the survey . 

TDCC had also drawn huge crowds at Reading, Leeds and Latitude so I wouldn't dish out too much credit to your mates on that one.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Really not my strong point at all and I seem to be the only person predicting him, but is Steve Aoki a possibility? I have Hannah Wants, Steve Aoki and Gorgon City as dance headliners in my prediction.

Yeah I'd say he's a fair shout.He's definitely big enough to headline and I think he'd be a solid booking. Gorgon City are another that completely went over my head that could headline. I'm curious about Solveig as I'm not sure if he even tours or does live shows anymore. With Disciples I'm more wondering whether they'd be big enough haha. I don't have an extensive knowledge on them I just know they're somewhat popular haha.

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

People don't consider those the best years because they booked more rock and less hip-hop/dance, though. If they'd had the like of Kanye West, Jay-Z and Daft Punk headline pre-2011 (which is when most people on here seem to think the festival started to go downhill) they'd probably be looked on even more fondly. The main thing is that new acts seem to be bumped up the lineup with more ease nowadays and we get less established acts throughout the undercard (but a lot of that is due to hindsight anyway and back then the acts weren't any more established than the acts booked these days).

But tbh most people on here who prefer those years are people who've outgrown R&L. The majority of people who go now would probably look at years like 2005 (Foos, Pixies, Maiden) and 2008 (Metallica, RATM, The Killers) and think they look terrible. In a few years when The Hunna and Blossoms are headlining R&L, people who are then in their early 20s will probably look back at years like 2016 and complain that the lineups aren't what they were back then.

Reading these forums you'll get a massively biased view of things because the majority of us don't go to R&L anymore and aren't into the type of new acts that get big slots at R&L now (ie. Catfish). R&L always have and always will do a good job of booking what's popular with people in their late teens and won't give a shit about what people like us (the ones on here who no longer go to R&L) think about it. Booking Green Day over Kendrick would make the festival look better to people over like 25 who aren't gonna go to the festival anyway, so who cares.

Most people going now wouldn’t like 2005?!! I’m 16, a huge Foos fan since forever, and with Maiden and Pixies then I wouldve been all over that. 2008 as well. Especially before Metallica’s shit new album lol. I’m probably not a typical 16-18 year old tho to be fair aha

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jayvk said:

Who could headline the Dance Tent? I've had Hannah Wants, Zed's Dead and MK down but I've just been thinking could Martin Solveig or Disciples do it?

As you saw in my prediction I've got Example/Dj Wire, Hannah Wants and Kygo. So it's a bit of a different prediction from most:

• I'm fairly certain about Hannah Wants because she is hitting it quite big atm and will also provide a nice female headline act to quell the gender argument.

• Tbh I just copied other people for Example/DJ Wire but I feel like Example would be popular enough for today's crowd due to the 2010 nostalgia factor.

• Kygo just released a new album and I think tropical house is still fairly popular although he has dipped a bit in popularity. Bit of a stab in the dark.

Any of your predictions could also do it as well as Steve Aoki and Gorgon City.

25 minutes ago, C14S said:

Most people going now wouldn’t like 2005?!! I’m 16, a huge Foos fan since forever, and with Maiden and Pixies then I wouldve been all over that. 2008 as well. Especially before Metallica’s shit new album lol. I’m probably not a typical 16-18 year old tho to be fair aha

No, they wouldn't. Like you say, your view isn't coming from a typical 16-18 year old. A lineup like that would go down well on festival forums but not in the real world. It's always been the same on here; it isn't representative of the overall R&L demographic.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah unless they're keeping the old format and just had the first announcement delayed for whatever reason I wouldn't be surprised by this. They're the only major festival in the UK that announces them all separately, really. Like you suggest, there's no real reason to hold one of them back a month or so assuming they're all tied up already.

As someone who will probably only go for a Kendrick day I really hope I can just see who's on the undercard that day from the off rather than having a bunch of acts announced and not knowing whether any of them will be on that day.

Kendrick nailed the sub slot at Leeds in 2015, he had the most well received crowd all day, it was proper going off near the front 

4 hours ago, Jayvk said:

Who could headline the Dance Tent? I've had Hannah Wants, Zed's Dead and MK down but I've just been thinking could Martin Solveig or Disciples do it?

The people I am currently considering:

- Camo & Krooked, really the only DnB act currently around and big enough to headline that stage imo (Chase & Status, Pendulum and Wilkinson are all too big). In saying that I would say they are smaller than Noisia who subbed that stage last year (tho imo they and dillon francis both could have headlined easily).

- Gorgon City, new album out and their tour sold pretty well iirc

- MK, seems to be hitting it big atm and hasmt played in a while (2015 i think was the last time he played)

- Don Diablo, would be a bit of a curve ball but with a new album coming out and his really succesful label I wouldnt be suprised

- Hannah Wants, as said above for some reason people really like her atm....

- Galantis, new album out last year, half of it was pretty good and the other half was shite. Defo on the downward trend, imo its probably their last chance for this slot. They are shite live anyway

- Martin Sloveig, think he could easily do it. He still does creamfields most years but it will depend on his ibiza residency dates.

- Steve Aoki, hes really shite but ot wouldnt suprise me to see him picked. Hes in Europe around the right time (hes playing Sziget iirc)

- Disciples, tho they have been alowing down their releases recently I could easily see them headlining next time they play

- Madeon, I feel like he may be to big for this slot but he should have a new album out next year.

- Krewella, theyre bigger in mainland europe but i could see them getting the bump up

People I think wont do it but other people have considered:

- Netsky, he hasnt had any new material since the last time he played so I think he is unlikely

- Example, would be a nostalgia booking alone. Guess Fatboy Slim was the same this year but i would think theyd do V or Wireless before R+L.

- Craig David's TS5, probably too big for this slot and not that relavent anymore imo

- Kygo, dont think he has fallen this far. Although his album flopped, the EP he put out before it had 3 reasonablly sized hits on it.

- Zeds Dead, they dont strike me as someone R&L would get. Their album was pretty trappy, and the only other trap artist I can think they have had previously are Baauer and Troyboi who both played the 1xtra. Would be cool to see them or maybe someone like GTA play. Still think RL Grime would make a great NME headliner too, seeing Flume drop Core last year was magical

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

TDCC had also drawn huge crowds at Reading, Leeds and Latitude so I wouldn't dish out too much credit to your mates on that one.

Yeah true tbh they're one of the biggest indie bands among the younger generation right now - I'm gutted that they clashed with RHCP at reading 2016 (which was my first ever gig) but I'm seeing them at community on my bday next year so it's all good 

3 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

The people I am currently considering:

- Camo & Krooked, really the only DnB act currently around and big enough to headline that stage imo (Chase & Status, Pendulum and Wilkinson are all too big). In saying that I would say they are smaller than Noisia who subbed that stage last year (tho imo they and dillon francis both could have headlined easily).

- Gorgon City, new album out and their tour sold pretty well iirc

- MK, seems to be hitting it big atm and hasmt played in a while (2015 i think was the last time he played)

- Don Diablo, would be a bit of a curve ball but with a new album coming out and his really succesful label I wouldnt be suprised

- Hannah Wants, as said above for some reason people really like her atm....

- Galantis, new album out last year, half of it was pretty good and the other half was shite. Defo on the downward trend, imo its probably their last chance for this slot. They are shite live anyway

- Martin Sloveig, think he could easily do it. He still does creamfields most years but it will depend on his ibiza residency dates.

- Steve Aoki, hes really shite but ot wouldnt suprise me to see him picked. Hes in Europe around the right time (hes playing Sziget iirc)

- Disciples, tho they have been alowing down their releases recently I could easily see them headlining next time they play

- Madeon, I feel like he may be to big for this slot but he should have a new album out next year.

- Krewella, theyre bigger in mainland europe but i could see them getting the bump up

People I think wont do it but other people have considered:

- Netsky, he hasnt had any new material since the last time he played so I think he is unlikely

- Example, would be a nostalgia booking alone. Guess Fatboy Slim was the same this year but i would think theyd do V or Wireless before R+L.

- Craig David's TS5, probably too big for this slot and not that relavent anymore imo

- Kygo, dont think he has fallen this far. Although his album flopped, the EP he put out before it had 3 reasonablly sized hits on it.

- Zeds Dead, they dont strike me as someone R&L would get. Their album was pretty trappy, and the only other trap artist I can think they have had previously are Baauer and Troyboi who both played the 1xtra. Would be cool to see them or maybe someone like GTA play. Still think RL Grime would make a great NME headliner too, seeing Flume drop Core last year was magical

This really does help me when considering acts now as I didn’t have much of an idea haha. Regarding Zed’s Dead, I kinda just knew he was pretty big and threw him in, good to know there’s more likely candidates. So you think GTA would headline? Currently have them subbing the stage.

One more that’s also popped into my head just now, Porter Robinson? Or is he potentially too big? 

Edited by Jayvk

6 hours ago, Jayvk said:

This really does help me when considering acts now as I didn’t have much of an idea haha. Regarding Zed’s Dead, I kinda just knew he was pretty big and threw him in, good to know there’s more likely candidates. So you think GTA would headline? Currently have them subbing the stage.

One more that’s also popped into my head just now, Porter Robinson? Or is he potentially too big? 

Porter Robinson would probably be too big, and it looks like he is going to be focjsing on Virtual Self next year anyway.

I think GTA are in the same position as Dillon Francis, they could headline or they could sub. The dance stage always has seems to be slightly random on what slot people get lol so who knows

6 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned them yet but Peace are coming back, IMO almost certain to play, been years since they’ve been at the festival but always went down well. FR headliners? 

Yeah as @SomeoneListeningIn said, a lot of people have them as FR headliners, including me aswell haha. I'd love to see them back at the fest. They're a brilliant band and I can't tell you how much I would LOVE to see '1998 (Delicious)' live. I've seen a video of them preform it during a secret set on the introducing stage in 2015, and my god the moment it all kicks in looks amazing. (4:02 on actual song,4:26 on video) 

For anyone who hasn't seen:

Edited by Jayvk

20 minutes ago, stanh said:

OASIS!!! (rumoured headline)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phZRmpfJ_Y

I feel like this guy should join these forums. Would make his content a lot more reliable, and I'd really like to see that on his channel. Would be good to see reliable info instead of just seeing him more or less clutch at straws. He's had some wild predictions in the past haha.

Edited by Jayvk
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, stanh said:

he's clearly just making a huge stretched guess for views, comedy and so he could say he called it if it did actually happen in this vid, obviously Oasis wont happen and im pretty sure he knows that lol 

Edited by Jack w
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, stanh said:

not seen them, but i'll take your word for it! :) 

His whole channel is based around Reading & Leeds, but it seems like he just needs to be a bit more informed I guess haha. He's not far off on some things, but way off on others.

Who knows though, may happen. Very unlikely though aha.

Edited by Jayvk

56 minutes ago, stanh said:

Yeah this is just clickbait. His theory is full of holes and Oasis aren't going to headline R&L next year. 

52 minutes ago, stanh said:

not seen them, but i'll take your word for it! :)  However, he does seem fairly accuare

How is he accurate? He hasn't made many predictions and even those ones he has made haven't even been proven true.

49 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

His whole channel is based around Reading & Leeds, but it seems like he just needs to be a bit more informed I guess haha. He's not far off on some things, but way off on others.

Who knows though, may happen. Very unlikely though aha.

His channel is pretty much as wash of YouTube cliches; let's plays, youtube drama, reactions and "stories". Just seems that R&L and festivals has been his new "unique" angle to youtube and he probably keeps up because he gets around 1k views for one of those vids instead of less than 500 for anything else. Tbh, he probably reads this forum for some info and just regurgitates what other people have said in his videos.

Edited by justanothername
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Tbh, he probably reads this forum for some info and just regurgitates what other people have said in his videos.

You would think so, but he's doing a stream right now. I told him to have a look through this thread for more reliable stuff and he didn't know it existed, just knew about the rumours page not the forums. I've referred him though as might make for some better, more accurate videos haha.

7 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Yeah this is just clickbait. His theory is full of holes and Oasis aren't going to headline R&L next year. 

How is he accurate? He hasn't made many predictions and even those ones he has made haven't even been proven true.

His channel is pretty much as wash of YouTube cliches; let's plays, youtube drama, reactions and "stories". Just seems that R&L and festivals has been his new "unique" angle to youtube and he probably keeps up because he gets around 1k views for one of those vids instead of less than 500 for anything else. Tbh, he probably reads this forum for some info and just regurgitates what other people have said in his videos.

I think that obviously he’s gonna make more videos on the ones that do best, he should just do more research and defo read these forums to make more accurate and reliable vids than he currently does

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah a lot of people (including myself) are predicting them as FR headliners

Starting to think now they might get a better slot than FR headliners. They headlined that Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester a couple of months back alongside Rat Boy and they’re headlining Live at Leeds alongside Circa Waves, and those were mid-main acts this year. So maybe like NME sub or 5th/6th main then?

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Starting to think now they might get a better slot than FR headliners. They headlined that Neighbourhood Festival in Manchester a couple of months back alongside Rat Boy and they’re headlining Live at Leeds alongside Circa Waves, and those were mid-main acts this year. So maybe like NME sub or 5th/6th main then?

I think they played 3rd NME Last time didn't they? I'd say 5th main if not FR headliners yeah

Edited by Jayvk

2 hours ago, Jack w said:

he's clearly just making a huge stretched guess for views, comedy and so he could say he called it if it did actually happen in this vid, obviously Oasis wont happen and im pretty sure he knows that lol 

Doubt it, he clearly has no clue based on the videos I've seen before.

56 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Rob Kellas also added on with his post they will. I have sent a message to see his in depth opinion, I certainly wouldn't write it off 100%. But your right, typical YouTuber relying on hype.5a456ccd2079c_ScreenShot2017-12-28at22_14_18.png.03c7c2ac667a92afd919c2d1d6185a39.png

There's literally 0% chance of Oasis reforming by next Summer or of them playing R&L on the first Summer of a reunion.