Lineup 2018

19 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah changed it cos everyone I know in real life knows I'm called Will-2609 on everything and I've had too many occasions of people randomly googling things about festivals and ending up on threads I've been posting in. I've been Gucci Piggy for a couple of weeks now :P

Wow, I need to be more observant :lol: fair enough, though, dude. 

7 minutes ago, SCG95 said:

With the 1st announcement not until early 2018, does anyone reckon think this may be due to the recent QOTSA incident? 

nope. that happened less than 2 weeks ago when it was already later than usual for a first announcement. QOTSA were pretty much ruled out at this point regardless of the incident, would be very surprised to see them there.

44 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

nope. that happened less than 2 weeks ago when it was already later than usual for a first announcement. QOTSA were pretty much ruled out at this point regardless of the incident, would be very surprised to see them there.

But pleasantly surprised;))

A name that's not been mentioned at all really is alt-j. Looking at their tour dates they're definitely gonna be doing European festivals next summer, but so far they've not been announced anywhere in the UK. I know that before the release of Relaxer some people had them as potential coheadliners, but since the album flopped a bit they've dropped off of peoples predictions.

I personally think they might be headlining Parklife along with Gorillaz, but if not I can't think of many other UK fests they might play. Are they still a possibility for R&L? And if so, where would they play? Would they be a pretty underwhelming coheadline with Royal Blood? Would they sub? Don't think that's as likely as they subbed last time they played in 2015. Or as a result of Relaxer could they be NME headliners?

Personally, I don't think it's out of the question for them to be coheadliners with Royal Blood. Sort of shocking booking R&L would make that not many people could foresee. Also if the other headliners are Foos and Kendrick, it would make sense to have two British bands coheadline. Although that might just be looking into things too much.

Thoughts?

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Finsbury Park will be their only UK festival probably.

2 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

If for what reason they announce which to me is highly unlikely, would you say they are at RandL next year?

It's entirely dependent on the first announcement tbh because if it's foo fighters they would be announced first but if it's arctics they'll be announced last.  So if the first announcement isn't foo fighters I think we can get our hopes up 

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

A name that's not been mentioned at all really is alt-j. Looking at their tour dates they're definitely gonna be doing European festivals next summer, but so far they've not been announced anywhere in the UK. I know that before the release of Relaxer some people had them as potential coheadliners, but since the album flopped a bit they've dropped off of peoples predictions.

I personally think they might be headlining Parklife along with Gorillaz, but if not I can't think of many other UK fests they might play. Are they still a possibility for R&L? And if so, where would they play? Would they be a pretty underwhelming coheadline with Royal Blood? Would they sub? Don't think that's as likely as they subbed last time they played in 2015. Or as a result of Relaxer could they be NME headliners?

Personally, I don't think it's out of the question for them to be coheadliners with Royal Blood. Sort of shocking booking R&L would make that not many people could foresee. Also if the other headliners are Foos and Kendrick, it would make sense to have two British bands coheadline. Although that might just be looking into things too much.

Thoughts?

could defo see them co-headline w/ RB. two v different set of headliners. not sure if they compliment eac other as well as bands like foals/disclosure or QOTSA/paramore. but think it is a definite possibility.

Just been out doing some Christmas shopping and been thinking about what I posted about alt-J earlier. I've come to the conclusion that I think they're pretty likely coheadliners, more so than Paramore ATM.

Like I said before, it would make sense having another British band coheadlining with Royal Blood if the other two headliners are Foos and Kendrick. It also feels like R&L have had somewhat of a long term plan with alt-J, slowly moving them up their lineups over the years, perhaps anticipating Relaxer to do better than it did and giving them the coheadline in 2018.

If Wolf Alice are the sub for Royal Blood / alt-J it would mean Ellie could come on and sing 3WW too, would make a lot of sense  and they've toured together before.

Apart from it seeming like the only logical festival to play, there doesn't seem to be much indication that Paramore will be at R&L either. I'm aware that there's other festivals alt-J could be headlining in the UK (Parklife, Bestival as @dentalplan said, potentially others I'm too dumb to think of), but considering there's not been any big rumours I think they're just as likely at R&L right now than anywhere else.

Also, considering Royal Blood, Foos and Kendrick are all pretty heavy headliners, alt-J would be something a bit more alternative and bring in a different crowd.

So I'm changing my prediction to:

Royal Blood / alt-J (coheadline)
Foo Fighters
Kendrick Lamar

With Royal Blood closing Reading and alt-J closing Leeds. Gonna do my full updated prediction in the other thread in a bit.

11 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I agree with the headliners currently, however RB/Alt-J with Wolf Alice behind would be a very weak day so there would be a stronger undercard in my opinion like 30STM or Catfish making it more worth the day price in my opinion.

Remember though that a coheadliner sub is essentially third down. Catfish wouldn't play that low, and 30STM probably wouldn't either. Also don't think it's likely that 30STM are gonna be around for R&L. But yeah I guess there could be someone a bit stronger than Wolf Alice, but not the names you've suggested.

14 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I agree with the headliners currently, however RB/Alt-J with Wolf Alice behind would be a very weak day so there would be a stronger undercard in my opinion like 30STM or Catfish making it more worth the day price in my opinion.

Yeah but what you have to remember is that whoever’s below RB/Alt-J is technically a 3rd down. 30TSM and Catfish would both be subs and wouldn’t take a 3rd down I don’t think. Wolf Alice are a third down that realistically could be below the co-head, Or someone like The Vaccines or something could also do it.

Edit: beaten to it with all the exact same points lmao, ignore me.

Edited by Jayvk

Oh yeah I forgot my biggest revelation which just proves I'm 100% right. So obviously they're changing the way they make announcements somewhat this year, so I'm thinking they'll potentially announce all 3 headliners at once. Also, those 4 headliners have 4 Rs and 4 Ls altogether for R&L:

ROYAL BLOOD / ALT-J
FOO FIGHTERS
KENDRICK LAMAR

So say a few days before the announcement they'll post a cryptic image similar to this:

ROYAL BLOOD / ALT-J
FOO FIGHTERS
KENDRICK LAMAR

Then the day of the announcement they'll reveal the missing letters to show the headliners.

really clutching to straws here

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Oh yeah I forgot my biggest revelation which just proves I'm 100% right. So obviously they're changing the way they make announcements somewhat this year, so I'm thinking they'll potentially announce all 3 headliners at once. Also, those 4 headliners have 4 Rs and 4 Ls altogether for R&L:

ROYAL BLOOD / ALT-J
FOO FIGHTERS
KENDRICK LAMAR

So say a few days before the announcement they'll post a cryptic image similar to this:

ROYAL BLOOD / ALT-J
FOO FIGHTERS
KENDRICK LAMAR

Then the day of the announcement they'll reveal the missing letters to show the headliners.

really clutching to straws here

We’re always here if you need someone to talk to mate.....

Just joking lmao. that’d be pretty cool way of doing it, but you said it yourself you’re really clutching at straws there haha.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jayvk said:

We’re always here if you need someone to talk to mate.....

Just joking lmao. that’d be pretty cool way of doing it, but you said it yourself you’re really clutching at straws there haha.

ahaha aye I know just couldn't stop thinking about it when I realised. obviously there's 1 in a million chance it actually happens, but I'm gonna feel amazing if it turns out to be true and I posted it here a month before :lol:

ahaha aye I know just couldn't stop thinking about it when I realised. obviously there's 1 in a million chance it actually happens, but I'm gonna feel amazing if it turns out to be true and I posted it here a month before :lol:

Haha fair enough. If they do end up announcing like this, You’ll be picking my lottery numbers for the rest of the year xD 

I wouldn't get your hopes up

Haha I know. But honestly, that would genuinely be a really clever way of announcing the headliners and it would definitely get everyone guessing. Everyone would still guess Arctic Monkeys though as you could swap them with Foo Fighters and it'd still make sense haha.

31 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Remember though that a coheadliner sub is essentially third down. Catfish wouldn't play that low, and 30STM probably wouldn't either. Also don't think it's likely that 30STM are gonna be around for R&L. But yeah I guess there could be someone a bit stronger than Wolf Alice, but not the names you've suggested.

But less than 30STM or Catfish would make day tickets pointless in my opinion since you can see these pretty much anywhere.

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

But less than 30STM or Catfish would make day tickets pointless in my opinion since you can see these pretty much anywhere.

But at the end of the day, if those bands were offered those slots, they would turn them down. Nothing to do with the fest. Could still have them sub another day.

12 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

you can also see Catfish for £35 at This is Tomorrow festival in Newcastle

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Just been out doing some Christmas shopping and been thinking about what I posted about alt-J earlier. I've come to the conclusion that I think they're pretty likely coheadliners, more so than Paramore ATM.

Like I said before, it would make sense having another British band coheadlining with Royal Blood if the other two headliners are Foos and Kendrick. It also feels like R&L have had somewhat of a long term plan with alt-J, slowly moving them up their lineups over the years, perhaps anticipating Relaxer to do better than it did and giving them the coheadline in 2018.

If Wolf Alice are the sub for Royal Blood / alt-J it would mean Ellie could come on and sing 3WW too, would make a lot of sense  and they've toured together before.

Apart from it seeming like the only logical festival to play, there doesn't seem to be much indication that Paramore will be at R&L either. I'm aware that there's other festivals alt-J could be headlining in the UK (Parklife, Bestival as @dentalplan said, potentially others I'm too dumb to think of), but considering there's not been any big rumours I think they're just as likely at R&L right now than anywhere else.

Also, considering Royal Blood, Foos and Kendrick are all pretty heavy headliners, alt-J would be something a bit more alternative and bring in a different crowd.

So I'm changing my prediction to:

Royal Blood / alt-J (coheadline)
Foo Fighters
Kendrick Lamar

With Royal Blood closing Reading and alt-J closing Leeds. Gonna do my full updated prediction in the other thread in a bit.

They'd just have alt-J sub and Royal Blood headline outright if they needed somewhere to put alt-J. Given that you've just suggested Parklife and Bestival as options, they're not ready to headline Leeds.

They were thrown about as an early suggestion to coheadline with Royal Blood for this year (2017) but Relaxer came out and shat the bed. There's more chance of them headlining the NME than the main stage at this point.