Lineup 2018

The rumours/general consensus on the International Festival pages are that Arctics will be announcing their comeback in the New Year, and the European festivals that are holding off headliners/announcing slower than usual (NOS, Mad Cool, Rock Werchter) are waiting to be able to announce Arctic Monkeys. I know particularly Mad Cools ticket prices rise again the second week in January so assuming the missing headliner/s will be announced around then. So this does seem like convenient timing.:huh: I've always assumed Foo Fighters will be the big name for next year's R+L though.

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

I think it will be how it was before, in March, the whole thing.

i'd say that's unlikely, unless there's something about March that Melvin thinks is particularly good.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think a PR firm's pitch to win the business is a "we'll do it this way" thing - and their different way is very likely to be deliberately different to the ways its been done before.

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There’s no reason they couldn’t have AM and Foos in the same year. 

Other than it making more sens buisness wise to split it up...

Tbh if they get Arctics / Foos / Kendrick as the 3 headliners that may be the best set of headliners they have ever had...

Edited by Mattymooz

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think they need Imagine Dragons to headline nor would it be justifiable when they’re still coasting on that one song but I’ve got a nagging feeling that it’s the sort of shit FR would do simply because they’re there. A bit like Disclosure in that they haven’t really made the leap to headliners and booking them would only make the other band seem weaker. Saying that though, they booked them three times over the past five years and the world didn’t end so it’s not that much of a big deal.

I'm not an Imagine Dragons fan but I think we need to accept that they are easily big enough to co-headline. I think it is inevitable they will in the next few years (or even outright headline). They are certainly bigger than the likes of Paramore and Foals nowadays. 

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Tbh if they get Arctics / Foos / Kendrick as the 3 headliners that may be the best set of headliners they have ever had...

I'd be shocked if Royal Blood aren't involved this year. Those 3 would be amazing but I just can't see it. 2 of those 3 (probs Kendrick and Foos) with Royal Blood (outright or in a co-headline) seems most likely imo. 

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, Beastie Boys and Garbage? Linkin Park, Metallica and Blur? Probably imo the best headliners in one year!

15 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I'd be shocked if Royal Blood aren't involved this year. Those 3 would be amazing but I just can't see it. 2 of those 3 (probs Kendrick and Foos) with Royal Blood (outright or in a co-headline) seems most likely imo. 

Oh yeah its not realistic, but fuck it would be a good weekend

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

I'm not an Imagine Dragons fan but I think we need to accept that they are easily big enough to co-headline. I think it is inevitable they will in the next few years (or even outright headline). They are certainly bigger than the likes of Paramore and Foals nowadays. 

Not really or else they’d have headlined instead of Foals or Disclosure or someone last year. They haven’t done owt to step up since then.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

There’s no reason they couldn’t have AM and Foos in the same year. 

I think because Glasto is off they're guaranteed more popularity anyway therefore they would only have 1 of the 2. No point wasting a huge headliner that they could save for 2019 when glasto is on again. And plus they never really have more than 1 huge headliner, there's very few bands anywhere near foos arctics they're on a completely different level of skill and popularity. .

1 hour ago, TornShaun said:

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, Beastie Boys and Garbage? Linkin Park, Metallica and Blur? Probably imo the best headliners in one year!

Wow that's insane - for me it was 2009 where it was arctics, radiohead and kings of leon. 2011 was also insane too - muse, the strokes, my chemical romance

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not really or else they’d have headlined instead of Foals or Disclosure or someone last year. They haven’t done owt to step up since then.

Since 2016, they have released a new album that charted as well as 'What Went Down' in the UK and charted much better globally. They have two dates in the 02 at London coming up. The Foals never played venues that big in the UK, the same can be said for Disclosure.

It's a sad reality, but it is reality. 

20 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Quick question, how many of you actually want Foo Fighters, Kendrick and RB/Paramore or other co-headliner as the main acts?

I mean it would be worth the weekend price if that was the case but overall I don't know if it would be for me. Foo Fighters are iconic and the best rock band which I suppose would be solid on the Saturday, however like most I would one hundred percent prefer AM which it pains me to see optimism being dismissed.

I have seen RB and could see it again outside but doesn't have the same effect. I am also not the biggest Paramore fan.

Kendrick is not my music but would be that one in a lifetime chance to see the rapper as big as him in his prime. Overall it would be a great set for the neutral but it wouldn't make me excited.

Besides the longer FR wait, FF I feel are less likely as they announce certain events, plus they usually hint. We haven't had anything recently. I don't know, maybe my conscience is wanting them not to play to open an opportunity for AM but it wouldn't be the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination.

Wondered what you thought on the strongly rumoured, would you like them?

Edit: Imagine Dragons would spoil everyones image of a good Leeds, If FR are reading by a marginal chance, I beg not for them to play as co-headline or any space. 

Not everyone wants AM - I’m desperate for the Foos and I like AM but for me the Foos are THE band

6 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Since 2016, they have released a new album that charted as well as 'What Went Down' in the UK and charted much better globally. They have two dates in the 02 at London coming up. The Foals never played venues that big in the UK, the same can be said for Disclosure.

It's a sad reality, but it is reality. 

Yeah we've done all this before when someone was trying to suggest that Foals weren't a headliner and Imagine Dragons were. They have higher charting albums (not higher selling in first week, they released on better weeks I guess) before 2016, they're bigger worldwide, they had sold out O2 Arena prior to the 2016 festival yet Foals still headlined Reading and they didn't. I don't know how you can argue against a festival that already happened but they haven't shown any growth since 2016 and they'd be a shitty headline choice because they have no fans at all, not a single one.

7 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Eminem just headlined, he's not coming back immediately.

Wouldn't mind if he didn't come back at all tbh. Sure he's a legend but I feel with the release of the new album 90% of people, even a lot of his die hard fans, hate it. I don't think he'll ever play Reading again tbh.

Edited by Jayvk
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

Wouldn't mind if he didn't come back at all tbh. Sure he's a legend but I feel with the release of the new album 90% of people, even a lot of his die hard fans, hate it. I don't think he'll ever play Reading again tbh.

I personally like eminems new album, better than Marshall matters lp2 in my opinions. Not too keen on the collabs but the solo stuff is good sounds similar to some tracks off relapse. 

34 minutes ago, callum97 said:

I personally like eminems new album, better than Marshall matters lp2 in my opinions. Not too keen on the collabs but the solo stuff is good sounds similar to some tracks off relapse. 

Never thought I’d see someone compare an album to Relapse and mean it in a agood way ;) haha, nah I mean it’s all down to opinion really but a lot of people do feel that this is his weakest work to date, and I have to agree. At the end of the day, there’s a couple of okay tracks on there like Offended and Framed but I wouldn’t call them anything more than okay to be fair.