Lineup 2018

I've seen Pixies a few times in recent years, always great live. Last year at Manchester Apollo was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Agreed though that they'd be totally out of place at Reading & Leeds 2018, but I kinda get it if they'd be up against Kendrick. It'd be a huge shame having to miss them if that was the case, it's gutting there's no chance of them being up against Foo Fighters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aech said:

Pixies would be such a weird booking, I don't think there's many people at R&L target demographic age range that will have even heard of them.

Nah loads of indie kids would love it. As annoying as it would be, playing NME against a mainstream act like Kendrick would mean they'd get a really good crowd of people who actually know who they are. Could potentially shift some day tickets too for people who aren't convinced by Kendrick.

Agree it's a weird one, but they gotta throw in curveball acts to keep the festival interesting.

• Downvote 1

Even disregarding their clout with R+L goers nowadays; I don’t see why Pixies will be back in Europe again next summer. That’d be almost two years since the last album and they aren’t a prolific touring band. It is curious that they’ve shared a couple of Reading posters but I think they might just really dig those line ups lol.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Even disregarding their clout with R+L goers nowadays; I don’t see why Pixies will be back in Europe again next summer. That’d be almost two years since the last album and they aren’t a prolific touring band. It is curious that they’ve shared a couple of Reading posters but I think they might just really dig those line ups lol.

aye could just be a case of them being nostalgic. that's what I thought initially, but then I've been trying to think of some sort of curveball act they could book and Pixies would be that. Idk at this point I'd say it's 50/50, need something a bit more substantial than them sharing past lineups on twitter.

As much as I hate to say it the chances of both Foos and Arctics are incredibly slim .  Foos are currently the biggest rock band in the world and arctics are the biggest indie . Because of foos tour dates right now and arctics hardly sharing any news at all it will almost defo be foos . Then they'll have like Kendrick or someone aimed at younger generations and then it will be a coheadline with defo royal blood but who else is the question . Probably paramore, maybe 1975 or stereophonics or catfish or something like that . But they will only have 1 huge headliner and that is either foos or arctics and almost definitely foos.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, AG19972017 said:

Any chance on Neck Deep coming back possibly  main stage? 

Reckon they'll just do Download this year but it's not impossible I guess

But in regards to Pixies I don't think they'll play and while them sharing those two posters is a bit funny don't think they'd be a good fit at R&L anymore. Though, like Will said, a run of Pixies -> Vampire Weekend -> Kendrick would be heavenly. Though if by some miracle the I could have Kendrick and QOTSA headlining the main on two nights and Pixies on the NME on the final that would make me consider a weekend ticket but good thing that wont happen :P 

I don't see a single mention of the Killers on any of this and I think they are fairly likely .  They haven't played since 2008 their UK arena tour sold out in seconds (I can't wait to see them in 7 days!) their day would sell out fairly quickly and the last day of their arena tour is November 28th, just a few days before the first headliner will be announced....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, R Shah said:

I don't see a single mention of the Killers on any of this and I think they are fairly likely .  They haven't played since 2008 their UK arena tour sold out in seconds (I can't wait to see them in 7 days!) their day would sell out fairly quickly and the last day of their arena tour is November 28th, just a few days before the first headliner will be announced....

Aye I do think they're a decent possibility tbf, think they're a lot more likely than some people seem on here give them credit for.

However I think the main reason lots of people aren't predicting them is that there's more current possibilities that would be more likely to headline (most people predicting Paramore/Royal Blood, Foos, Kendrick). On top of those there's still Kanye, Drake, QOTSA, Arctics, Florence potentially. Yeah, they're a possibility. Just seems to be other acts that are more likely.

• Upvote 1

The Kilers announced for Rock in Rio Lisbon at the end of June so those thinking that their Feb/March European tour made late Summer in Europe more likely than early Summer can probably stop predicting them now. Them playing R&L would mean 3 trips over to Europe between February and August which I doubt will happen. Probably IOW for them if anything, then.

Also thank god.

Nobody’s mentioned Elbow yet as far as I can see. They’re touring next year and seem to have a good history of going down well at R&L... potential NME headliner or sub? 

Also, I know Stereophonics have been mentioned a few times, surely they’d be a good selling NME headliner too, I don’t feel they’re too big or too small for that slot at the moment either. 

30 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Nobody’s mentioned Elbow yet as far as I can see. They’re touring next year and seem to have a good history of going down well at R&L... potential NME headliner or sub? 

Also, I know Stereophonics have been mentioned a few times, surely they’d be a good selling NME headliner too, I don’t feel they’re too big or too small for that slot at the moment either. 

Doubt either of them will ever play again. Don't really hold any appeal to people who go to R&L. Much more IOW-fodder tbh.

57 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Elbow last played in 2011, can’t see them being booked again really.

Stereophonics havent been booked for even longer! Going by their recent comments I don’t think they’d accept anything lower than headline, and that’s not happening. May point to why they’ve not been booked in so long as well 

Chances on Sigrid being back? She was on very early this year, and was fantastic. I don't do dance much but I'll be wherever she is. Has her debut album out in January. Few UK dates in March. Can really see her following Lorde's trajectory. In which case she might become unattainable for R&L in the not too distant future.

21 minutes ago, SemiSweet said:

Chances on Sigrid being back? She was on very early this year, and was fantastic. I don't do dance much but I'll be wherever she is. Has her debut album out in January. Few UK dates in March. Can really see her following Lorde's trajectory. In which case she might become unattainable for R&L in the not too distant future.

aye I've got her down playing mid NME. she's great, agree she's probably gonna blow up really soon.