Lineup 2018

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

They had the exact same at Cardiff Arena on Friday as well, which isn’t a particularly big arena to begin with. The band were in great form though and I thought the new stuff translated really well live.

Yeah I'm not knocking them, and the set up worked for them in the end.  Guess it's one of those things, in many cities there isn't anything between Academy level and arena so they have to do stuff like this - though I've never seen quite that set up at Newcastle.  I'm old enough to remember when in the north east Whitley Bay ice rink was the next step up from the Mayfair (the then equivalent to Academy level)!

Enter Shikari are one of those bands that have plodded along in terms of growth, they haven't had any periods where they have shot up rapidly. I think the Mindsweep took them to Arena Level but that's only because they were getting too big to play the academy's. I kinda get why they aren't really growing as their music is not easy-listening but I personally love them and are by far the best live band i've seen they put on an amazing show and for that reason alone i think festivals will give them a high slot. I can see them headlining the NME at R&L or maybe slightly higher if they played download.

I'm curious as to how many tickets they sold at Ally Pally :huh:

Surely Pixies are now a dead cert, if they've tweeted both line ups of the previous Readings that they've played.

I agree that they'd be more suited to NME headliner. They'd be wasted on the Main Stage crowd in this day and age. Plus they didn't even headline the Other Stage at Glastonbury in 2014.

3 minutes ago, VCK said:

Surely Pixies are now a dead cert, if they've tweeted both line ups of the previous Readings that they've played.

I agree that they'd be more suited to NME headliner. They'd be wasted on the Main Stage crowd in this day and age. Plus they didn't even headline the Other Stage at Glastonbury in 2014.

Agree with this and the earlier that they'd be wasted on the main stage.  NME headliner as a rock alternative to (say) Kendrick Lamar would work - they wouldn't pull many away from Foo Fighters or (say) Royal Blood.

Mentioned it before, they are touring the US with Weezer (with Wombats supporting) and the tour ends 12 August - haven't checked all of the band's schedules but could easily see all three appearing.  Live Nation are doing the tour.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Pixies against Kendrick (if they're both playing of course) would make sense I guess. Would be an interesting booking, better than a lot of the repeat acts they always book. Just seems a weird one to me but it's certainly possible.

I didn't copy this, just took too long to type mine!!

4 hours ago, WFD said:

I'm not saying this to have a pop at them, cos I don't mind them, but at Newcastle Arena last night Enter Shikari only played a curtained off square which took up probably less than half the floor space, standing only.  Similar feel to Hall 4 (I think) at SECC in Glasgow but I'd say smaller overall.  They did get the benefit of a bigger production set-up than they would have had in the Academy but in terms of additional ticket sales not sure it was worth hiring the Arena.

I know people like to use a band's venue size to guess at where they'd place at R&L, so don't be overestimating where Shikari would place based on them 'playing arenas'.  I know they are playing Alexandra Palace (again) btw.

Yeah I had a look last week (no idea why) and none of their shows had sold out standing and the Liverpool leg had been downgraded from the arena. Saying that, I don’t think anyone was predicting they’d receive push up the line up and it woulda likely been a 3rd/4th main or NME headline, which is still fair.

4 hours ago, WFD said:

I'm not saying this to have a pop at them, cos I don't mind them, but at Newcastle Arena last night Enter Shikari only played a curtained off square which took up probably less than half the floor space, standing only.  Similar feel to Hall 4 (I think) at SECC in Glasgow but I'd say smaller overall.  They did get the benefit of a bigger production set-up than they would have had in the Academy but in terms of additional ticket sales not sure it was worth hiring the Arena.

I know people like to use a band's venue size to guess at where they'd place at R&L, so don't be overestimating where Shikari would place based on them 'playing arenas'.  I know they are playing Alexandra Palace (again) btw.

I'm still thinking NME headline set would be best for Shikari at this point, but they're on the way down now IMO, The Spark hasn't done anything for them as an album.

36 minutes ago, callum97 said:

Enter Shikari are one of those bands that have plodded along in terms of growth, they haven't had any periods where they have shot up rapidly. I think the Mindsweep took them to Arena Level but that's only because they were getting too big to play the academy's. I kinda get why they aren't really growing as their music is not easy-listening but I personally love them and are by far the best live band i've seen they put on an amazing show and for that reason alone i think festivals will give them a high slot. I can see them headlining the NME at R&L or maybe slightly higher if they played download.

I'm curious as to how many tickets they sold at Ally Pally :huh:

They've also not been helped by the fact they've never stopped fucking playing the UK, 408 shows in the uk, with the majority of that being in the last decade since they've been touring properly. For comparison Bring Me, a band fellow British band that come from the -core scene (though arguably even more niche with Deathcore than what Enter Shikari started with, and Enter Shikari definately started much bigger with TTTS hitting no.4 on the uk charts) at roughly the same time, have only played the UK 284 times. I still maintain that after The Mindsweep they would have been much better just doing a proper 9-12 date Academy tour, fucked off for ages, done a one of Wembley date then fucked off again until the next album dropped, instead of trying to do the 'arena' tour mid album cycle.

They've just been overexposed for far too long IMO.

1 hour ago, WFD said:

Agree with this and the earlier that they'd be wasted on the main stage.  NME headliner as a rock alternative to (say) Kendrick Lamar would work - they wouldn't pull many away from Foo Fighters or (say) Royal Blood.

Mentioned it before, they are touring the US with Weezer (with Wombats supporting) and the tour ends 12 August - haven't checked all of the band's schedules but could easily see all three appearing.  Live Nation are doing the tour.

Be great if Weezer did play!

Judging by previous years, we can expect the announcement at the end of next week. And it's looking like Foo Fighters and Pixies will be included in the first announement. Not sure who else though, Wolf Alice could be announced next week due to their tour wrapping up soon.

Edited by Diamond24

Woah. Pixies would be awesome. NME headliner? 

I’d love to see Shikari sub the main stage. I think they could get away with putting them in the position. 

They were stunning in Notts on Saturday. The new material sounded incredible. That being said, the arena was not busy at all. 

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Woah. Pixies would be awesome. NME headliner? 

That would be my guess yeah. Makes me think there will be a hip hop headliner too, either Kendrick, Kanye or Drake. Seem like they'd be a good balance (although potentially a really annoying clash).

I'm thinking the first announcement will look something like this

Foo Fighters
Pixies
Stormzy
Wolf Alice
Lil Uzi Vert
Zack De La Rocha
Jack Garratt
Steve Aoki
Joey Bada$$
Creeper
Killswitch Engage

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’d love to see Shikari sub the main stage. I think they could get away with putting them in the position. 

They were stunning in Notts on Saturday. The new material sounded incredible. That being said, the arena was not busy at all. 

Feel like if Shikari play they'll most likely be NME headliners. If they were on main I can't see them being higher than 3rd, or coheadline sub.

However, if this Pixies stuff is true and they are NME headliners, I'm not sure I see Shikari headlining it too. They tend to have at least 2 dance/pop headliners nowadays. Currently I'm predicting NME headliners to be Chase & Status, Jungle, Pixies.

24 minutes ago, Diamond24 said:

Judging by previous years, we can expect the announcement at the end of next week. And it's looking like Foo Fighters and Pixies will be included in the first announement. Not sure who else though, Wolf Alice could be announced next week due to their tour wrapping up soon.

These three seemed nailed on.

For reference last year's first announcement (Thursday 1 December) was Muse, Major Lazer, Bastille, At The Drive In, Tory Lanez, Danny Brown, Against The Current, Glass Animals, Architects, While She Sleeps, Andy C.