Lineup 2018

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I don't know much about alt music, i'm pretty heavy hip hop/rap fan (i fell asleep and missed the whole eminem set this year, super gutted!).

The hip hop side of the festival definitly drew the biggest crowds i felt, and everybody i spoke with about who they want to see talked about J Hus, Eminem, Giggs etc so i think R&L will definitely take a twist towards that way soon but still keeping the focus on alt music.

Just Looking at the 2017 headliners i think they will go the same route:

Headline: Royal Blood - Kendrick - Foo Fighters

Sub: Post Malone - Avicii - Wolf Alice

3rd: Stormzy - Vampire Weekend - Nothing but Thieves

Warm Ups - French Montana, Marmozets, J Hus, Marshmello, Everything Everything, Krept & Konan, Anne Marie, The XX, Annie Mac, Haim

I mean, Avicii doesn't tour anymore, he stictly stick with producing so he definitely won't play. Post Malone if he does play definitely isn't big enough for that slot (he'd sub NME imo). The XX would definitely be sub as a minimum.

Kind of a weird set of acts too imo

6 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I don't know much about alt music, i'm pretty heavy hip hop/rap fan (i fell asleep and missed the whole eminem set this year, super gutted!)

Oh wow that's unfortunate lmao. To be honest, I'm heavy into hip hop, like real heavy, and I thought the best hip hop acts this year that I saw were Flatbush, Danny Brown and Loyle Carner. Also The Manor they were great (and I'm not just saying that cuz I personally know them lmao)

12 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Sub: Avicii

I heard Avicii play for a few minutes after Kendrick Lamar at Wireless. It was extraordinarily awful. A load of people had just broken through the fences at Finsbury Park to get into the venue too. Poor souls. 

I see The Vaccines are announcing something tomorrow. I'm guessing it'll be a tour or some news on their fourth album. I wonder if they could headline Community Festival? NME headliner if they play R&L?

6 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

I see The Vaccines are announcing something tomorrow. I'm guessing it'll be a tour or some news on their fourth album. I wonder if they could headline Community Festival? NME headliner if they play R&L?

The vaccines were really poor at leeds in 2016 i was really disappointed but i'm not sure it was their fault i think it turned out there was something up with the audio equipment, could definitely see them making an appearance next year but no higher than 3rd down probably.

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

I've noticed virtually everyone's putting Kendrick in their predictions.

Any actual basis for this other than he'll have finished touring? I know he subbed a couple of years ago.

I think it's mainly because it is quite likely that we're going to get another rapper headline this year to follow up eminem from last year. The other rumours have been Drake and Kanye but obviously Kendrick seems the most feasible with the likelihood being that R+L will have a big rock headliner. His tour sold really well plus he already has 3 London dates making him less likely for wireless and I can't really see him at any of the other UK festivals.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Any actual basis for this other than he'll have finished touring? I know he subbed a couple of years ago.

I'm 100% back at Leeds next year if he's there.

The Primavera booker said he can't book Kendrick because he isn't in Europe until the end of Summer. If that's true then him playing R&L seems very logical, especially after the success of all the hip-hop acts this year.

As said above, his three London dates also make Wireless seem unlikely so even without that news from the Prima booker R&L was probably the best bet for him.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:56 PM, KingPin said:

You're forgetting that some bands are of different size on the continent and vice versa, not everything over here is big over there, and a lot of stuff over there is much much bigger than over here (a good example of this is Volbeat, who are huge on the continent, easily headlining the likes of RAR, yet will be lucky to get 2nd stage headliner/3rd down main at Download).

I see your point but I was commenting both from comparison vs last year (when Green Day, SOAD, LP, Arcade Fire, Blink and Foos were available) and from headliners relevance on the continent perspective. To provide more context - Gorillaz are struggling to sell out 5-7k capacity places (e.g., Hamburg still available) on the current tour in Germany. 30STM were absolutely pitiful in 2013, playing to the smallest headliner crowd I have ever seen. Limp Bizkit were playing against them to a completely packed Arena stage... I can't see them being more relevant in 2017 unless their new album is a huge hit. RaR/RiP demographics is closer to Download than Reading so I guess Jared's movie achievements don't count ;-)

Anyway, I think booking Gorillaz (and also 30stm to certain extent) is a great move as their pool of potential headliners will expand. They will sell out regardless, strong undercards will help too.

On 03/11/2017 at 9:03 AM, ConorC said:

I'm 100% back at Leeds next year if he's there.

are Kendrick, Drake and Kanye all at about the same likelihood? or is Kendrick far more likely?

Edited by Jack w

10 hours ago, Jack w said:

meant Kendrick not Kanye as he's on all the predictions typed the wrong thing

but yeah cheers just wondering who else it could be instead of him as everyone's just settled on him rn

Kanye is the least likely imo, think the Live Nation guys was just saying he would restart his european tour again.

Then whichever one of Drake and Kanye isn't at Reading is likely doing Wireless instead. Drake would make more sense at Wireless due to Kendricks dates but he did headline there in 2015 (so maybe he will do V instead?)

5 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Apologies if it's already been said on here, but what's currently ruling QOTSA out ?

A guy from Live Nation said they were doing "their own outdoor shows" and that's been corroborated by info. Looks like they're around early summer too.

edit: also I wouldn't say they're 'ruled out' but it's why they're not being predicted all that much.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

Apologies if it's already been said on here, but what's currently ruling QOTSA out ?

A throw away comment in an interview that suggested they'll be doing their own open air shows. Yeah right. They'll be headlining festivals. L/R will be one. I'd put money on it. And on Foos being there.

4 minutes ago, devilman said:

A throw away comment in an interview that suggested they'll be doing their own open air shows. Yeah right. They'll be headlining festivals. L/R will be one. I'd put money on it. And on Foos being there.

It wasn't throwaway though. It was quite specific, and why would he say it if it had no meaning?