Lineup 2018

7 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I'm honestly pretty bad when it comes to predicting but is this somewhat realistic? (Clueless when it comes to Lock Up and FR stages so had to just put in bands I knew lmao)

FRIDAY

Main  Stage

Foo Fighters, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Vampire Weekend, Don Broco, Loyle Carner, Sundara Karma, Declan McKenna, Fickle Friends, IDLES

NME

All Time Low, Post Malone, Wretch 32

Dance Tent

The Prodigy, Tom Zanetti

The Pit

Rise Against, The Word Alive

Festival Republic

Lucy Rose, Django Django

1Xtra

Joey Bada$$, Mick Jenkins

Saturday

Main Stage

Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala, Stormzy, Nothing But Thieves, Lil Uzi Vert, Tonight Alive, Deaf Havana, The Amazons, Arcane Roots, Bad Sounds

NME

Alt-J, Neck Deep, Wilkinson

Dance

Duke Dumont, Blonde

The Pit

Bury Tomorrow, Astroid Boys

Festival Republic

Peace, Ty Seagall

1XTRA

A$AP Ferg, Amine

Sunday

Main Stage

Arctic Monkeys, Twenty One Pilots, Wolf Alice, J Hus, Everything Everything, The Sherlocks, The Night Cafe, The Big Moon, Cabbage, Otherkin

NME

Enter Shikari, ScHoolboy Q, Portugal. The Man

Dance

Hannah Wants, Lookas

The Lock Up

Skindred, Trapt

Festival Republic

Amber Run, Healy

1Xtra

Kano, The Underachievers

Swapping tame impala and 21p would make more sense imo and night cafe might be a bit high there on the Sunday. Don't think Alt-j would take headline NME slot and I don't reckon they'll be at the festival next year at all probably, fully expect the wombats to get a high ish slot (NME headliner/ 4th main).

Arctics and Foos headlining is what I dream of the vast majority of the time but I can't see it happening 

• Upvote 2

First off you seem to have 1 too many acts on the main stage :P

59 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

Dance Tent

The Prodigy, Tom Zanetti

God Prodigy here would be so dangerous, it would be a big enough of a crush if they headlined the NME (Heck, some people here have suggested they could coheadline). IMO Tom Zanetti is probably too small to sub that stage too (tho if Prodigy are headlining they won't be able to afford anyone else probably aha).

1 hour ago, Jayvk said:

NME

Alt-J, Neck Deep, Wilkinson

As much as I hate alt-J and their last album especially, can't see them having any other slot than sub.

Other than that it looks pretty accurate tbh, tho I doubt it would have that high of a standard of acts (e.g. 2 biggest bands in the world headlining will probs not happy for money reasons and then they can spread them out over 2 years too. Also they can probs squeeze Stormzy into a sub slot and I don't see why they wouldn't to save money and push the Hip-Hop line more)

• Upvote 1

Dunno where it's come from but Arctic Monkeys seem to be heavily rumoured for coachella

I'd say they are more likely for reading than foo fighters, but I guess it could go either way

Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Tame Imapal/Royal Blood co headline

How does that sound?

I still think both of those co-headliners could headline outright

Edited by Matt42

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Tame Imapal/Royal Blood co headline

Really doubt that there won't be a rap act headlining outright next year looking at the success of Eminem this year as well as who's meant to be available next August e.g Kendrick, Kanye, Drake. 

Foo Fighters / Kendrick Lamar / Royal blood + Paramore is what i'm reckoning at the moment. Only about a month now till first acts, how exciting ay.

I think they will bump RB to headline, but I don't think it's necessary. I think they're only going downhill, and even though I prefer Royal Blood, I think there's more about The XX or Tame Impala, so getting them that size you've got a headliner for life, even though RB are the bigger band currently. 

Also, haven't most headliners they've bumped after 2 albums gone down the shitter? Apart from The Strokes but they were on another level. 

TBH, I think something like this would be achievable and fucking awesome. Still not sure on both AM & Foos in the same year but it would be legendary if it were to happen. Would have to kinda skimp on the undercard tho (have took a 3rd down act on the Saturday):

FRIDAY

Kendrick Lamar / Royal Blood / Chase & Status / J Hus

NME: Wolf Alice / Jack Garrat

SATURDAY

Foo Fighters / 30STM / Nothing But Thieves / Franz Ferdinand

NME: Friendly Fires / Jungle

SUNDAY

Arctic Moneys / Stormzy / The Wombats / Don Broco

NME: Enter Shikari / Post Malone

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I think they will bump RB to headline, but I don't think it's necessary. I think they're only going downhill, and even though I prefer Royal Blood, I think there's more about The XX or Tame Impala, so getting them that size you've got a headliner for life, even though RB are the bigger band currently. 

Also, haven't most headliners they've bumped after 2 albums gone down the shitter? Apart from The Strokes but they were on another level. 

There's obviously more risk surrounding bands on their second album than bands who have gathered the masses over five or six albums.

Anyway, your post astutely describes why it's necessary to have Royal Blood headline now - they're bigger currently and may have limited room to grow - and also they're way more suited to R+L than those two. I think both Tame Impala and The xx are still some way off headlining R+L (also do people forget that The xx haven't been booked since before they released an album??) whereas Royal Blood have had a packed out crowd at every festival they've done in the UK and commanded the Reading and Leeds main stages already.

3 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Foo Fighters / Kendrick Lamar / Royal blood + Paramore is what i'm reckoning at the moment. Only about a month now till first acts, how exciting ay.

First act will be Foo Fighters though won't it? And we're all already anticipating them. Would be really nice if it was someone else though - Kendrick cos most of us could get excited about the lineup or Royal Blood (with or without someone else) bc it would put an end to the debate everyone's tired of.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

First act will be Foo Fighters though won't it? And we're all already anticipating them. Would be really nice if it was someone else though - Kendrick cos most of us could get excited about the lineup or Royal Blood (with or without someone else) bc it would put an end to the debate everyone's tired of.

I thought they'd announce Royal Blood first along with some big NME acts. Would surely make sense to announce the 'smallest' headliner then build it up from there in terms of the size of the acts. Suppose they'd sell a lot of tickets over Christmas though if they announced foos first especially with the amount of people that missed out on tickets for their UK show.

7 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I thought they'd announce Royal Blood first along with some big NME acts. Would surely make sense to announce the 'smallest' headliner then build it up from there in terms of the size of the acts. Suppose they'd sell a lot of tickets over Christmas though if they announced foos first especially with the amount of people that missed out on tickets for their UK show.

Isn't usually the case.

2017 - Muse

2016 - RHCP

2015 - Metallica

2014 - Blink

2013 - Eminem

Usually it's the biggest headliner isn't it? (Would have considered RHCP, MEtallica and Eminem the biggest acts each year, and MUSE and Blink the middle sized ones)

TBH I think if it is Foos then they'll be announced first in December (as long as there tour has pretty much sold out). If it's Arctic Monkeys then they'll probs hold them back till after the coachella (which they will probs use a a springboard to start there shows up again, with them announcing the album on stage there?).

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Usually it's the biggest headliner isn't it? (Would have considered RHCP, MEtallica and Eminem the biggest acts each year, and MUSE and Blink the middle sized ones)

TBH I think if it is Foos then they'll be announced first in December (as long as there tour has pretty much sold out). If it's Arctic Monkeys then they'll probs hold them back till after the coachella (which they will probs use a a springboard to start there shows up again, with them announcing the album on stage there?).

I imagine they try to go with the biggest one that they're actually allowed to announce at that time, so unless they've still got shows on sale or are waiting to announce an album or something.

If Arctics are headlining Coachella the album will definitely have at least been announced by then. Announcing an album on stage isn't really a thing that happens anyway.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

I imagine they try to go with the biggest one that they're actually allowed to announce at that time, so unless they've still got shows on sale or are waiting to announce an album or something.

If Arctics are headlining Coachella the album will definitely have at least been announced by then. Announcing an album on stage isn't really a thing that happens anyway.

I mean, Lady Gaga announced a single last year on stage. I just can't imagine if they don't even know when they are gonna finish recording atm they will probably not have much to show by the time April rolls around

28 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, Lady Gaga announced a single last year on stage. I just can't imagine if they don't even know when they are gonna finish recording atm they will probably not have much to show by the time April rolls around

If they're not even gonna have it announced by April then why would Coachella book them to headline tho?

The Strokes announced a single on stage at Coachella too but single announcements from an already released aren't exactly a big thing. Album announcements are.

21 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

If they're not even gonna have it announced by April then why would Coachella book them to headline tho?

They haven't played there since 2012 though in an evening slot iirc so it's not rehashing the same slot like it would be w/o a new album at R+L and other places. Coachella is definitely the sorta fest that would forego a new album being out if it means they got the first show of a tour.

edit: I just looked at the Coach 2012 schedule and my eyes popped out of my head. Incredible line up.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They haven't played there since 2012 though in an evening slot iirc so it's not rehashing the same slot like it would be w/o a new album at R+L and other places. Coachella is definitely the sorta fest that would forego a new album being out if it means they got the first show of a tour.

edit: I just looked at the Coach 2012 schedule and my eyes popped out of my head. Incredible line up.

Yeah it was ridiculous. I got a FB memory not long ago (probs like early this year I guess) of a mate posting it on my wall raving about it, so I had a re-read through if then and it's mad.

31 minutes ago, SemiSweet said:

Brian Fallon just announced a new album for next year along with some shows in March. Would he be booked without The Gaslight Anthem name?

He played last year in the Festival Republic tent and he had a pitiful crowd,literally 10% of the tent max.

I only walked through on the way to Mastodon, sounded really good to be fair

Edited by rivalschools.price

15 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

He played last year in the Festival Republic tent and he had a pitiful crowd,literally 10% of the tent max.

I only walked through on the way to Mastodon, sounded really good to be fair

He did?? Didn't know that. Yeah I went to his show in Liverpool last November and he was fantastic. Was bummed when TGA went on hiatus but he's still brilliant doing his own stuff. Is he unlikely to be back then?

8 hours ago, SemiSweet said:

He did?? Didn't know that. Yeah I went to his show in Liverpool last November and he was fantastic. Was bummed when TGA went on hiatus but he's still brilliant doing his own stuff. Is he unlikely to be back then?

To be fair, he'd have had a bigger crowd if he'd had played earlier but he clashed with Chili Peppers,who had a massive crowd,and Mastodon, whose crowd was also affected by RHCP but nowhere near as much as Fallon.

As I said, what I heard was pretty good and would have stayed if Mastodon weren't in the next tent.

The Saturday FR headliner is fast becoming the graveyard shift as Black Lips had a similarly tiny crowd this year up against Eminem and While She Sleeps

Edited by rivalschools.price

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

The Saturday FR headliner is fast becoming the graveyard shift as Black Lips had a similarly tiny crowd this year up against Eminem and While She Sleeps

TBF, most places were a graveyard when Eminem was on. Andy C and Flume had tiny crowds compared to the other days

10 hours ago, stevieg1993 said:

Don't think Brian Fallon or Gaslight Anthem are the right music for Reading and Leeds anymore. Could see him supporting Frank Turner when Frank albums comes out next year. 

Wouldn’t agree with this, as others have said Brian was booked only in 2016 and Gaslight were a staple booking prior to that. I was one of the small but enthusiastic crowd that saw him in 2016 and he was great. If they gave him an afternoon/early evening slot instead he’d get a decent crowd