Lineup 2018

Just now, Nick Aldous said:

How about Radiohead? Awesome stay at Glasto and TRNSMT this year plus Ed O'Brien confirmed they'd be doing a "little tour" in 2018.

also with the success of Paramore's new album they might be a cheap option for a headliner compared to foos/arctics?

not sure about radiohead with the demographic tbh but someone else will know more about that, however i do think that Paramore would defo be a coheadliner next year not outright headliner

1 minute ago, Nick Aldous said:

How about Radiohead? Awesome stay at Glasto and TRNSMT this year plus Ed O'Brien confirmed they'd be doing a "little tour" in 2018.

also with the success of Paramore's new album they might be a cheap option for a headliner compared to foos/arctics?

Just can't see it. They didn't go down amazingly at Glasto this year and that's their most suitable festival. Can't see em using a headline spot on them when there are so many other, more suitable options.

37 minutes ago, Jack w said:

not sure about radiohead with the demographic tbh but someone else will know more about that, however i do think that Paramore would defo be a coheadliner next year not outright headliner

I dunno I think Paramore would be more worthy to headline over Royal Blood (they're probs be recieved better, a headliner involving a female and would have a better setlist than RB).

23 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I think Paramore would be more worthy to headline over Royal Blood (they're probs be recieved better, a headliner involving a female and would have a better setlist than RB).

Please not this female quota stuff again...

(If we're wanting a female headliner though get Florence in, she's just absolutely brilliant)

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Also I just looked and their current setlists are from them supporting QOTSA. Not long back they were playing 13 song setlists (which I assume was on their own headline tour) which is 1 song less than Paramore played in 2014.

Yep plus I think when they step up to arenas, they'll have to fill 90 minutes. Even if it's with encores and covers and shit. If they do get arranged to headline outright with a 1hr30 slot; for the biggest gigs of their career they'll find a way to stretch it out.

edit: also when I was a wee lad I saw The Darkness headline on their first album. Radiohead cover, five mins of coercing the crowd into chanting "I LIKE BEEF" and a firework finale.

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I don't think they'd be better received as a booking than Royal Blood. I imagine RB would get a lot of "headliners? really?" cos they were playing early afternoon in tents in 2014, but they cater to a much more casual crowd that spans the R+L clientele than Paramore, and seem to sell more tickets and albums (probably to R+L peeps) than they do. Plus Paramore have only had one flop of an album since their last headline slot - I think if anything R+L booking them would be the fest helping the band out much more than vice versa.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think they'd be better received as a booking than Royal Blood. I imagine RB would get a lot of "headliners? really?" cos they were playing early afternoon in tents in 2014, but they cater to a much more casual crowd that spans the R+L clientele than Paramore, and seem to sell more tickets and albums (probably to R+L peeps) than they do. Plus Paramore have only had one flop of an album since their last headline slot - I think if anything R+L booking them would be the fest helping the band out much more than vice versa.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd call After Laughter a flop. In fact, considering the drastic change of style, I thought it did suprisingly well (much better than I thought it would).

And that's what I mean, I think people will have a hard time justifying a full priced day ticket to go and see Royal Blood who have played like 3rd down At Glasto and played further down the bill just 2 years ago. Paramore on the other hand have a much longer pedigree, they have the nostalgia factor which is always a bonus and are known for have good live shows. Plus Paramore are a lot rarer to go and see at a festival than Royal Blood who play at most festivals every couple of years. Heck even if you look at ticket prices for both their upcoming tours, the cheapest Paramore ticket is still about the same price as the most expensive royal blood ticket (£33 for cheapest Paramore vs. £35 for most expensive royal blood, at least in Glasgow)

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see RB coheadline, but Paramore would be more likely to fit as a solo headliner and would be considered the bigger of the 2 headliners imo (like how Foals and Biffy were considered bigger than Disclosure and FoB in 2015)

Would Fall out and Boy + Paramore Co headline work? Both under the same label and done stuff together before and FOB, I think have album out early 2018.

Royal Blood could then sub Foos or AM? Shame not to have Kendrick but think it would be (a great kind of) madness if they splashed out on Foos, AM and Kendrick.

22 minutes ago, pwe24 said:

Would Fall out and Boy + Paramore Co headline work? Both under the same label and done stuff together before and FOB, I think have album out early 2018.

Royal Blood could then sub Foos or AM? Shame not to have Kendrick but think it would be (a great kind of) madness if they splashed out on Foos, AM and Kendrick.

Fall Out Boy headlined last year; getting them back this soon would be ridiculous.

42 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Fall Out Boy headlined last year; getting them back this soon would be ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot I watched them in 2016. They was decent as well! I was thinking back to 2013. Saying that Bastille did 2017 and 2015, but they was sub not a headliner. 

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I think as a ticket seller Paramore are bigger, but in terms of crowd size Royal Blood would win. A co-headline would work nicely. I'd much rather see Paramore outright and Royal Blood sub though

Maybe as a day ticket seller but only marginally given the two After Laughter tours and lukewarm reception for that album. Besides, the festival wouldn’t have acres of camping if it was just in the business of selling day tickets - RB should really be the difference between a Foos/Arctics day ticket and a weekend ticket for nuff peeps.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Probably reading way too much into this but the Reading and Leeds twitter account just posted this. Bit weird given he's never played the festival and his only appearance was with Giggs. Could it be a hint that he's playing in 2018? IMG_1992.thumb.PNG.4f50cad7c7464b8a79313f738deb7b0b.PNG

to be fair they've absolutely milked the shit out of his guest appearance, so i think that might be just them continuing that trend. could definitely play though

4 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Probably reading way too much into this but the Reading and Leeds twitter account just posted this. Bit weird given he's never played the festival and his only appearance was with Giggs. Could it be a hint that he's playing in 2018? IMG_1992.thumb.PNG.4f50cad7c7464b8a79313f738deb7b0b.PNG

1 minute ago, pepesilvia said:

to be fair they've absolutely milked the shit out of his guest appearance, so i think that might be just them continuing that trend. could definitely play though

Yeah probably just this. The crowd is absolutely wild in that clip so they'll be wanting people to see it and want to be a part of it.

As you say, though, he could still play.

I saw somewhere that Tenacious D have confirmed that they’ve got another album out next year and a few tour dates (no EU ones yet though). I’d love to see them but they’ll probably sub minimum, not sure if they will fit in with the current crowd though, especially that high. Likely for Download maybe? 

4 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

I saw somewhere that Tenacious D have confirmed that they’ve got another album out next year and a few tour dates (no EU ones yet though). I’d love to see them but they’ll probably sub minimum, not sure if they will fit in with the current crowd though, especially that high. Likely for Download maybe? 

yeah think there's next to no chance they'd be booked for R&L nowadays. There's the tiniest possibility, but like you say think they'd be more suited to Download if anywhere.

8 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Played third down at Download the other year and they're definitely not as relevant to the R&L crowd now as they were back in 08 when they subbed. Defo wouldn't get higher than third now but doubt they'd be booked.

38 minutes ago, DR OK said:

I reckon Drake is very likely. Probably as a European festival exclusive 

It's between Drake and Kendrick. Both are relatively likely, but I give Kendrick the edge as he has done R+L before (though Drake has done stuff with FR previously, I could see him going back to do Wireless again or being saved for whatever V looks like next year)

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

It's between Drake and Kendrick. Both are relatively likely, but I give Kendrick the edge as he has done R+L before (though Drake has done stuff with FR previously, I could see him going back to do Wireless again or being saved for whatever V looks like next year)

Also Kendrick is supposed to be in Europe at the end of Summer and has three London arena dates on his tour making Wireless seem unlikely. We don't even know whether Drake will be touring next year or whether he's releasing anything.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Modest Mouse. 

Defo can't see that happening.

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

chances of busta rhymes making an appearance next year or in the near future? I know he rarely plays the UK but did do a couple of festivals in 2016, and he would be a great booking. Probably early evening on the NME stage or headlining the dance stage as something a bit different?

Very unlikely. There's not really much call for him, to say how much he'd inevitably cost and how big a slot he'd require. If the company are gonna get him over for any festival it'd be Wireless where they have considerably more old school rap representation.