Lineup 2018

who're we thinking are the most likely subs?

right now in my prediction I've got The Prodigy, Catfish & the Bottlemen and A Day to Remember.

loads of other options of course, Tame Impala, Chvrches, The Vaccines, Jamie T, Twenty One Pilots, Vampire Weekend, BBK, Thirty Seconds to Mars? Courteeners and Stormzy I have as third down, but both wouldn't surprise me to be booked as subs either. Wolf Alice could if theres a coheadliner too I reckon.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

14 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

who're we thinking are the most likely subs?

right now in my prediction I've got The Prodigy, Catfish & the Bottlemen and A Day to Remember.

loads of other options of course, Tame Impala, Chvrches, The Vaccines, Jamie T, Twenty One Pilots, Vampire Weekend, BBK, Thirty Seconds to Mars? Courteeners and Stormzy I have as third down, but both wouldn't surprise me to be booked as subs either. Wolf Alice could if theres a coheadliner too I reckon.

30STM, Twenty One Pilots and The Chainsmokers are all rumoured to be in Europe late Summer. I've got 30STM and Twenty One Pilots subbing, with The Chainsmokers doing V instead. For the third day I've got a co-headline with Wolf Alice below.

As was said recently, Foos selling out their three stadium shows instantly and not adding any more dates may suggest they're booked for a festival. In that case I'll change my prediction to the following, which works better than my previous one that had Arctic Monkeys instead of Foos:

Royal Blood/Paramore // Wolf Alice

Foo Fighters // 30 Seconds to Mars

Kendrick Lamar // Twenty One Pilots

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

As was said recently, Foos selling out their three stadium shows instantly and not adding any more dates may suggest they're booked for a festival. In that case I'll change my prediction to the following, which works better than my previous one that had Arctic Monkeys instead of Foos:

Wasn't there something about a show in Wales leaked, or was that disproved? Either way i'd say that still wouldn't be enough shows and should be over here next August.

Also, I was looking the other day at how Bastille's albums did in terms of sales. Both of their albums reached no.1 (much like that of RB) in the UK yet still played sub this year. Understandably Royal Blood possibly cater more towards the attendees of R+L and i'm in no way suggesting bastille as a headliner would be a good idea, just if they are both of the same stature in terms of how their music sells why is it that RB are seemingly pinned on for a higher slot?

13 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Also, I was looking the other day at how Bastille's albums did in terms of sales. Both of their albums reached no.1 (much like that of RB) in the UK yet still played sub this year. Understandably Royal Blood possibly cater more towards the attendees of R+L and i'm in no way suggesting bastille as a headliner would be a good idea, just if they are both of the same stature in terms of how their music sells why is it that RB are seemingly pinned on for a higher slot?

Album sales is one (albeit a large one) of many contributing factors as to who is booked as a headliner. Like you said, Royal Blood cater much more towards R&L attendees. They're one of the only new and successful rock bands that could be given the push to headliner. They also tend to get very positive live reviews, where as you don't hear so much about Bastille being incredible live. If album sales was more important, then Bastille would have headlined over Kasabian last year, as their last 2 albums outsold Kasabians last two albums (granted Kasabian are obviously a more established act, but it's clear that album sales aren't the be all and end all when it comes to choosing who headlines and who plays elsewhere).

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Album sales is one (albeit a large one) of many contributing factors as to who is booked as a headliner. Like you said, Royal Blood cater much more towards R&L attendees. They're one of the only new and successful rock bands that could be given the push to headliner. They also tend to get very positive live reviews, where as you don't hear so much about Bastille being incredible live. If album sales was more important, then Bastille would have headlined over Kasabian last year, as their last 2 albums outsold Kasabians last two albums (granted Kasabian are obviously a more established act, but it's clear that album sales aren't the be all and end all when it comes to choosing who headlines and who plays elsewhere).

Yeah i can see them having a much more successful career in the long run to be honest so I guess the sooner they get promoted to headliner the better but right now can't see them doing it without another performer alongside. 

Listening to the new killers album has really made me go back and listen to their previous material again and the mid 2000's nostalgia is really making me want them to headline the festival. If they missed out on foos/ arctics I feel people would be quite disappointed, but if they were to get one of these 2 the killers would most likely miss out as i can't see them not giving an outright headline slot to a rap artist next year. I'd be ecstatic with a killers + foos/arctics over 2 days but undoubtedly the likelihood is extremely thin. Just hope they do a festival that isn't V.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

Also re: foo fighters.

As people have said, must mean something that they've not added any more UK dates to their tour. However, because of the dates being in June, I'm sceptical as to wether they'll play R&L. Is it likely they'll do European dates at the start of summer, go elsewhere and then come back for R&L and potentially other late summer European dates? Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're only in Europe June/July time, and elsewhere in august.

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Also re: foo fighters.

As people have said, must mean something that they've not added any more UK dates to their tour. However, because of the dates being in June, I'm sceptical as to wether they'll play R&L. Is it likely they'll do European dates at the start of summer, go elsewhere and then come back for R&L and potentially other late summer European dates? Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're only in Europe June/July time, and elsewhere in august.

It’s pretty common that major bands split their European summer tours between two legs. Metallica, QOTSA, RHCP and Green Day did it in the last few years. Plus Foos aren’t gonna do loads of festivals around then because they did them this year so they’ll probably disappear after Wembley and return in August.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s pretty common that major bands split their European summer tours between two legs. Metallica, QOTSA, RHCP and Green Day did it in the last few years. Plus Foos aren’t gonna do loads of festivals around then because they did them this year so they’ll probably disappear after Wembley and return in August.

aye fair, dunno if you've seen that they've been announced for Pinkpop in June which made me think it, but yeah they'll probably split their summer like you said.

13 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

looks good for them coming back to Europe in august. I'd say they're pretty nailed on rn, certainly the most probable headliner as things stand.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I think it's clear they'll have Arctics or Foos (or both?) as a headliner

22 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

If Arctics and Foos both headline, would RB sub Foos or co-headline with Kendrick? 

That is a huge long shot of both those headlining but you never know. Kendrick is definitely big enough to headline on his own, however if i'm right the highest he's come on a lineup in the UK was sub at wireless in 2015 so it may be that he co-headlines before headlining other big festivals in the future. However, I doubt it and if he was to appear at R+L my money is on him doing it outright, he's considered by a significant amount, including me, as the 'best rapper alive' at this current moment in time which definitely holds some weight in his placement.

Edit: I now realise he subbed libertines in 2015 too. 

Edited by MIchael_scarn

9 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

That is a huge long shot of both those headlining but you never know. Kendrick is definitely big enough to headline on his own, however if i'm right the highest he's come on a lineup in the UK was sub at wireless in 2015 so it may be that he co-headlines before headlining other big festivals in the future. However, I doubt it and if he was to appear at R+L my money is on him doing it outright, he's considered by a significant amount, including me, as the 'best rapper alive' at this current moment in time which definitely holds some weight in his placement.

Edit: I now realise he subbed libertines in 2015 too. 

Also he co-headlined Wireless that year, rather than subbing it.

1 minute ago, Jack w said:

Royal bloods current standard setlist everywhere is about 10 songs so to stretch that to all their songs dragged out for a full headline slot seems too much to me for next summer probably whereas to sub would fit nicely ? what do you think? 

I assume Royal Blood's own shows are at least 1h15 in length which is how long QOTSA and Paramore played for in 2013. I'm not confident they'd headline outright but I defo don't think they'd sub.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

I assume Royal Blood's own shows are at least 1h15 in length which is how long QOTSA and Paramore played for in 2013. I'm not confident they'd headline outright but I defo don't think they'd sub.

yeah i think most likely option rn is co headline with either Paramore or 21P, can't see them subbing with Kendrick I think he would headline alone 

1 minute ago, Jack w said:

yeah i think most likely option rn is co headline with either Paramore or 21P, can't see them subbing with Kendrick I think he would headline alone 

Also I just looked and their current setlists are from them supporting QOTSA. Not long back they were playing 13 song setlists (which I assume was on their own headline tour) which is 1 song less than Paramore played in 2014.

Can't see 21P being given the bump yet. Paramore or Florence and the Machine the strongest candidates to be paired with them imo.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Also I just looked and their current setlists are from them supporting QOTSA. Not long back they were playing 13 song setlists (which I assume was on their own headline tour) which is 1 song less than Paramore played in 2014.

Can't see 21P being given the bump yet. Paramore or Florence and the Machine the strongest candidates to be paired with them imo.

Florence is a shout