Lineup 2018

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

If BMTH continue down the road of That's the Spirit then I'm sure Download would still have them. Any further towards the synthy pop direction and it'd be a bit of an odd match. Thought they'd be straight to Download when they returned but leaning more towards R/L now.

Any further down the synthy pop direction and they die. I'm sure if it. The majority of their fans are gonna be fans of heavy music who'll fuck off, and given their history and appearance they've got no chance of truly resonating with a mainstream audience. They need to be careful with the next album

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Any further down the synthy pop direction and they die. I'm sure if it. The majority of their fans are gonna be fans of heavy music who'll fuck off, and given their history and appearance they've got no chance of truly resonating with a mainstream audience. They need to be careful with the next album

The poppier they've gotten the more popular they've become so I don't think it's really an issue. I doubt they're gonna go full EDM or anything stupidly drastic, but an even more streamlined version of what they were doing on TTS with bigger choruses and any trace of screamed vocals removed will surely do them well in the mainstream and get them top billings at UK festivals like R/L, who I'm sure will be making offers and who will undoubtedly seem more appealing than Download who have apparently shafted them in the past.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

top billings at UK festivals like R/L, who I'm sure will be making offers and who will undoubtedly seem more appealing than Download who have apparently shafted them in the past.

But with Download and Reading and Leeds being under the same company, it was essentially FR that shafted them on those slots. I'm sure if they wanted them to do Download, they wouldn't offer the other option.

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

I think you're spot on there.

I can essentially see the new album being their Opposites. It'll be a big seller because the last two albums were and people wanna check it out, but failing to provide anything worth sticking around for will start an irreversible slope from then on.

I think the fact that BMTH are huge in America is gonna do a great deal at keeping them at the top for longer than they probably deserve. More riding on them to make it big, and more of a push to make sure this next album is a big seller. Maybe they'll fuck it up entirely, or people will just stop caring, but I think they'll be doing pretty well for a few albums more yet.

41 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Wasn't Oli Sykes' voice knackered during their last tour? That's got to be a factor going into their next album and beyond. 

I just think oli has given up trying. If he can do 2 headline shows on the same day, his voice can take a lot more than the shoddy 75 minute shows theyve been playing. 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think the fact that BMTH are huge in America is gonna do a great deal at keeping them at the top for longer than they probably deserve. More riding on them to make it big, and more of a push to make sure this next album is a big seller. Maybe they'll fuck it up entirely, or people will just stop caring, but I think they'll be doing pretty well for a few albums more yet.

That's a good point. I suppose it remains to be seen if they can build on that in the US or if they've already just about reached the entire target audience over there, but yeah they could maintain them over here.

I reckon either one of BMTH or Shikari will play next year, but not both. They should try and get proper metal acts like ADTR subbing rather spending cash pointlessly on two bands with dwindling fans.

In terms of Grime, I can see Stormzy at least 3rd down on main- if they miss him, it would be ridiculous 

p.s. to all those slamming me for loving the Courteeners, and saying I downvote from pure annoyance:

1. I do realise that Courteeners are perennially going to be a third down act. 

2. I hardly ever downvote

3. My spirited defence of Courteeners was my personal opinion- they do make quality songs... but heck, I’m not obsessed ffs. 

10 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

p.s. to all those slamming me for loving the Courteeners, and saying I downvote from pure annoyance:

3. My spirited defence of Courteeners was my personal opinion- they do make quality songs... but heck, I’m not obsessed ffs. 

Yeah fair play I thought it was a dick move him singling you out, especially since the whole point was about people bashing the lineup for including grime etc which I've never seen you do and I think was only based on you liking the Courteeners

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

I reckon either one of BMTH or Shikari will play next year, but not both. They should try and get proper metal acts like ADTR subbing rather spending cash pointlessly on two bands with dwindling fans.

In terms of Grime, I can see Stormzy at least 3rd down on main- if they miss him, it would be ridiculous 

I think they will miss him because FR will book him to headline Wireless. If we’re righr in predicting Kendrick to headline R+L they’ll really need headliners there.

Also mate at least you don’t like Pierce the Veil. It’s all good.

• Upvote 1

On 21/10/2017 at 1:28 PM, FloorFiller said:

Yeah considering BMTH's new album will undoubtedly push them even further in to pop territory Download may well have missed the boat on getting them to headline, which is bad news for the festival because they were one of the very few acts who seemed like they were about to make that jump. Maybe they'll still be booked, but if the story of them being booked to headline in '16(?) and then being bumped down was true then Download fucked up.

Apparently they got bumped down twice in a row because of bigger acts that Download say they can't not book them if available. 

24 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Apparently they got bumped down twice in a row because of bigger acts that Download say they can't not book them if available. 

I don't believe this though. Are they fuck gonna run Soni just because Rammetein are free. I have no idea why they didn't book them in 2016 over Rammstein, it wouldn't have hurt ticket sales at all I don't think. Booking them this year would have been pointless though

4 minutes ago, devilman said:

Heard that BMTH would have headlined DL2016 if their arena tour at the time had sold 80% of tickets. I was praying that they didn't. I dunno if they did and still got bumped by bigger bands or never quite cut the mustard.

Why though? Come on man, even if you don't like them, surely you must get behind Download growing the new generation of headliners, because if not the festival will be gone in the next 10 years.

4 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Why though? Come on man, even if you don't like them, surely you must get behind Download growing the new generation of headliners, because if not the festival will be gone in the next 10 years.

I never understand this line of thinking. Are you suggesting that bands not given the chance to headline now, won't be able to do it when all the better tickets sellers aren't around? Course they will, and their fans will come. Making a band a headliner won't make them more popular in future years but it might cripple the festival now. How's Offspring, Lost Prophets and Feeder doing? Also, BMTH are shit.

15 minutes ago, devilman said:

I never understand this line of thinking. Are you suggesting that bands not given the chance to headline now, won't be able to do it when all the better tickets sellers aren't around? Course they will, and their fans will come. Making a band a headliner won't make them more popular in future years but it might cripple the festival now. How's Offspring, Lost Prophets and Feeder doing? Also, BMTH are shit.

Pushing a band to higher slots helps them grow. Simples. Worked brilliantly for Slipknot and doing well for Avenged atm. No way in hell would the festival have crippled when they had Maiden and Sabbath. If anything it would have brought people who weren't already going, which can't really be said about Rammstein

The Offspring and Feder weren't originally planned, and I think you know very well how Lostprophets are doing.

Ask Sonispere what happens when you push divisive headliners. BMTH are not in the same class as Slipknot were in 09 or even A7X in 14. Aside from their style which isn't popular with a lot of the Download goers, they're also appalling at it live. Well Sykes is anyway. There's no doubting their popularity with the R1 scene kids though and I wouldn't grudge them a headline slot if they got it. I'd just prefer someone else. Hell I'd even go watch if nothing else was on. I mean, main is on the way to the van field anyways :)