Lineup 2018

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Probably something to read into the Fighters of Foo not adding any more UK dates despite having sold their shows out. 

so that leaves the question of, are they playing download the week before or are they coming back to do R&L ? 

on a side note, this may sound ludicrous but I would love to see Slipknot headline, i think they are one of the only metal bands that could do it. Would never happen tho unless the genre becomes the 'in' thing. 

19 minutes ago, callum97 said:

so that leaves the question of, are they playing download the week before or are they coming back to do R&L ? 

on a side note, this may sound ludicrous but I would love to see Slipknot headline, i think they are one of the only metal bands that could do it. Would never happen tho unless the genre becomes the 'in' thing. 

I don't think there is a chance in Download, I think if there was then Download would have got the selling priority 1st and also I don't know if FF would sell tickets fast enough at Download to allowed their own shows.....no one probably has since 2010.

This also means with Reading selling day tickets for them at around £70 as they went up last year, the likelihood of them bothering with a strong day for them isn't likely.

Edited by thewayiam

28 minutes ago, callum97 said:

Foo Fighters will always be more likely for Reading, given that’s the fest where they turn the biggest profit and it’s the most suitable for Foos fans. Plus I don’t think it’s good for Foos to play such niche festivals either.

Re: Slipknot, I think they’re absolutely gonna headline Reading one day as they’re only getting bigger and more legendary. It’s just that they’re such a safe headliner for Download and they have a bond with the place so they’re gonna play that every tour.

With Download's headliner pool dwindling as year by year their go-to's call it quits it's hard to see a time when exactly Slipknot will make room for R/L, but it'll definitely happen at some point aye, and should've happened already really. Other than Metallica they're one of the few (if only) all out metal bands who'd make sense doing it these days.

Edited by FloorFiller

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think there is a chance in Download, I think if there was then Download would have got the selling priority 1st and also I don't know if FF would sell tickets fast enough at Download to allowed their own shows.....no one probably has since 2010.

This also means with Reading selling day tickets for them at around £70 as they went up last year, the likelihood of them bothering with a strong day for them isn't likely.

Eminem probably had the strongest day this year

On the topic of metal headliners, if Tool were doing August festivals does no one think they'd have a pop?

Edited by Steve1000

17 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

On the topic of metal headliners, if Tool were doing August festivals does no one think they'd have a pop?

No chance. Far too niche and when they eventually do start touring again it'll be straight to Download, who desperately need some more headliners to crop up.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Slipknot are in that same legendary bracket of metal bands as Metallica are. I'm that saying they're as big as them, but they're in the same bracket. 

Nah that's way too far. Slipknot couldn't headline Glastonbury to tens of thousands familiar with their work. However if there's any metal band still going (excluding Linkin Park cos dunno if they count or what's gonna happen to them) that has a chance of joining that bracket it's Slipknot.

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah that's way too far. Slipknot couldn't headline Glastonbury to tens of thousands familiar with their work. However if there's any metal band still going (excluding Linkin Park cos dunno if they count or what's gonna happen to them) that has a chance of joining that bracket it's Slipknot.

I didn't mean it as in they could play the shows Metallica play. I mean in terms of legendary metal bands, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot. Slipknot have to be included in that as they are the biggest metal band of their generation. In the grand scheme of the history of heavy music and the biggest bands, Slipknot have to be grouped with those. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I didn't mean it as in they could play the shows Metallica play. I mean in terms of legendary metal bands, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot. Slipknot have to be included in that as they are the biggest metal band of their generation. In the grand scheme of the history of heavy music and the biggest bands, Slipknot have to be grouped with those. 

They might be the biggest metal band of their generation but they're nowhere near those three in terms of legendary status. There has to be a cut-off somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

From an outsider's point of view, as someone who doesn't listen to any of these bands properly I can still name Iron Maiden songs,Metallica songs and Black Sabbath songs. Can't name a slipknot song, I'd guess it's the same for most people who don't listen to that kind of music. I'd agree with the fact they're a big band that everyone knows, but unlike the others, to the general public don't really have iconic songs or the same status as Maiden, Metallica etc.

None of Slipknots albums are as good as those early Metallica or Sabbath (or Maiden, apparently) albums so as it is they're not in the same bracket. No doubt in years to come they'll always get mentioned in the same breath in the scheme of great metal bands, but they're just not quite there. Still love them though.

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

In terms of metal acts that haven't headlined yet but probably will in the next few years there's Slipknot and BMTH. Can't really think of anyone else likely? 

If BMTH can even remotely be considered metal by then. But nope, that's probably your lot. Don't see any bands making that leap any time soon and stuff like A7X and other newer headliners aren't gonna be doing it any time soon either.

Edited by FloorFiller

4 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Tbf though you won't get a stronger day these days than Eminem at Reading....he clearly sold out fast than anyone both this time and last, he did the same at V a few years back...and Bella House Scotland because you pay the same amount as you do for his own gig with a day of bands.

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

If SOAD stuck around they could've reached massive heights

I don't know if they could ever have got Reading headline though. I saw them at Download in 2011 and although very good, I'm not sure whether it was similarly with The Prodigy in 2012 but it seemed like there should have been an act after. The you have Metallica and Sabbath where it creates a completely different thing of headline and I prefer the former two overall much more.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

None of Slipknots albums are as good as those early Metallica or Sabbath (or Maiden, apparently) albums so as it is they're not in the same bracket. No doubt in years to come they'll always get mentioned in the same breath in the scheme of great metal bands, but they're just not quite there. Still love them though.

Personally I disagree, but I'm not a huge Metallica fan and a few of Slipknots early songs are my favourite in metal.

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Rage needs to be in that list and gotta be above Slipknot

Im predicting BMTH will make the next album way too poppy, like 10 Follow Yous or something and completely fuck it as a result

I'd be amazed if BMTH were considered metal by then, their last appeal was the most appealing to me but that's because I'm not a fan of their screaming shite before....my own view though.

They are massively more likely to get a Reading headline chance than Download. A bit like Paramore, Download should have got them a few years back now but they whore themselves out to the same out every time.

16 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I'd be amazed if BMTH were considered metal by then, their last appeal was the most appealing to me but that's because I'm not a fan of their screaming shite before....my own view though.

They are massively more likely to get a Reading headline chance than Download. A bit like Paramore, Download should have got them a few years back now but they whore themselves out to the same out every time.

Yeah considering BMTH's new album will undoubtedly push them even further in to pop territory Download may well have missed the boat on getting them to headline, which is bad news for the festival because they were one of the very few acts who seemed like they were about to make that jump. Maybe they'll still be booked, but if the story of them being booked to headline in '16(?) and then being bumped down was true then Download fucked up.