Lineup 2018

1 minute ago, Jayvk said:

Did you mean to quote me? Think you meant to quote Will lmao.

yeah sorry mate 

6 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Man complained about grime cos it was originally a rock festival... When it was originally a jazz festival... Fuck sake.

most famously its a rock festival which is what people get at and mean

Edited by Jack w

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Kamasi Washington, Avishai Cohen and Paramore to headline.

One rock headliner is fine - I'd just go somewhere else that night - but it started out as a jazz festival so I think a lot of people will be disappointed if there's more than one rock band headlining. I know I would be.

youre highlighting that the jazz element isnt relevant anymore thats why the point about rock is made lmao

4 minutes ago, Jack w said:

yeah sorry mate 

most famously its a rock festival which is what people get at and mean

Meh it's a contemporary music festival that moves with the times but also has a strong focus on rock music. Getting annoyed that it's booking some of what's in vogue at the moment because it used to be a rock festival is dumb. It used to have more rock because rock was more popular back then than it is now. If grime was this big 15 years ago then R&L would have been booking it. Most of us who no longer go to the festival had a turning point where what was being booked was no longer in line with our tastes, but that's because we're older than the target market and they're booking what that target market are after. 16-18 year olds at the moment are into grime and being a guy seemingly in his mid-late 20s making YouTube videos complaining about a festival aimed at teenagers replacing the music he likes with grime music is embarrassing af.

Tbh tho it's not worth the level of ranting I'm going at here I was just overwhelmed by the cringe. Anyway ye I'll stop moaning about him.

Just now, Jack w said:

youre highlighting that the jazz element isnt relevant anymore thats why the point about rock is made lmao

But the rock element is becoming less relevant because they're keeping up with music trends and hence booking more hip-hop and dance instead of it. It's no longer a solely rock festival in the same way it's no longer a jazz festival.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

But the rock element is becoming less relevant because they're keeping up with music trends and hence booking more hip-hop and dance instead of it. It's no longer a solely rock festival in the same way it's no longer a jazz festival.

its no longer jazz at all and nobody is bothered by that - so when the point made about it originating as a rock festival, no they arent correct as it was Jazz back in the 80s or something like that people are just getting at the majority of the famous lineups. yes rock is becoming less relevant and thats the point poeple are making. What they are doing is clever and understandable to follow trends as thats what theyve always one but doesnt change rock fans who go being disappointed, same would happen if hip hop was elimimated with the hip hop fans as there have been many hip hop appearances for years and years

what youre saying is true and i agree as i understand how the festival works (mainly from reading this forum), just i dont think its an offence when other people say about the rock elements and stuff as it is valid, clear what they mean and just their opinion

Edited by Jack w

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If the line up was dominated by those types of acts it would be a problem. 

I very much agree and that was not my point. What I'm saying is people are acting as if the festival is the same as it always has been in that it books what's popular with that demo at the time. But the bands I mentioned are clearly unsuitable now, yet are just as (un)popular with the demographic. Basically what I'm trying to say is overall the festival has gotten more mainstream with the bookings, for better or for worse.

And as for people wanting rock, it's natural if they've been getting mostly rock lineups for the last however many decades, dont think the Jazz things relevant.

Edited by Steve1000
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I very much agree and that was not my point. What I'm saying is people are acting as if the festival is the same as it always has been in that it books what's popular with that demo at the time. But the bands I mentioned are clearly unsuitable now, yet are just as (un)popular with the demographic. Basically what I'm trying to say is overall the festival has gotten more mainstream with the bookings, for better or for worse.

And as for people wanting rock, it's natural if they've been getting mostly rock lineups for the last however many decades, dont think the Jazz things relevant.

agreed, my point exactly, although it is logical why they are doing what they are doing to satisfy the biggest demographic, can be a shame to some people in some cases

Boy Better Know's gig was huge in 2016. As was Giggs' this year. It's an amazing feeling to be in a crowd where everyone around you is completely absorbed in it. If you're not a fan, maybe check out one of the smaller stages. Festival Republic has had some really stellar lineups in recent years. 

A few names I think are likely for '18 that I haven't seen crop up in many predictions: The Internet, Saint Raymond, The All-American Rejects, Logic, Rex Orange County, Rae Sremmurd, Feeder.

10 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I very much agree and that was not my point. What I'm saying is people are acting as if the festival is the same as it always has been in that it books what's popular with that demo at the time. But the bands I mentioned are clearly unsuitable now, yet are just as (un)popular with the demographic. Basically what I'm trying to say is overall the festival has gone less mainstream with the bookings, for better or for worse.

But going "hey they don't always book for modern times, look at these lot!" doesn't really mean anything in the context of them increasing the number of hip hop and grime acts, as far as I can see. Those years had a lot of contemporary stuff going on elsewhere and those bands were poorly attended as a result of it.

The point about the jazz is mostly that it's a clever retort to people saying that it started as a rock festival, but I think it's relevant in that the festival changes with the times like it did from jazz to rock and roll, to metal and punk, to pop. to indie rock and hip hop, and now hip hop is much more popular among the demographic ergo they're justified in increasing its presence. It's not even increasing at that high a rate - there are still many stages of rock bands, it's just hip hop and grime are getting bigger placings.

I don't really think people are wrong to be downhearted about the lineup changing but people being defensive over it and suggesting that it has to remain a rock festival, well those people are oblivious to the many non-rock headliners it's had and the many shifts the festival has experience so they deserve some flak.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah please note I'm not saying the festival should get rid of hip-hop/ grime/ edm etc, but I don't think people wanting more rocks opinion is completely invalid, so just putting some perspective in here

same with me just in case thats what people think, although i do generally prefer rock, apologies for pointlessly agreeing with two of your posts in a row lol

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But going "hey they don't always book for modern times, look at these lot!" doesn't really mean anything in the context of them increasing the number of hip hop and grime acts, as far as I can see. Those years had a lot of contemporary stuff going on elsewhere and those bands were poorly attended as a result of it.

The point about the jazz is mostly that it's a clever retort to people saying that it started as a rock festival, but I think it's relevant in that the festival changes with the times like it did from jazz to rock and roll, to metal and punk, to pop. to indie rock and hip hop, and now hip hop is much more popular among the demographic ergo they're justified in increasing its presence. It's not even increasing at that high a rate - there are still many stages of rock bands, it's just hip hop and grime are getting bigger placings.

I don't really think people are wrong to be downhearted about the lineup changing but people being defensive over it and suggesting that it has to remain a rock festival, well those people are oblivious to the many non-rock headliners it's had and the many shifts the festival has experience so they deserve some flak.

Ah okay, fair enough. I'm talking about the festival becoming more mainstream overall, which has resulted in a decrease in more left field rock bands, rather than the increase in hip hop and grime but yeah I agree with your overall point.

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Made this rough clashfinder of what I'm thinking for Main & NME. Very open to suggestions of what people think is realistic/unrealistic and acts to fill in the gaps I've got.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.45.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.45.43.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.45.57.png

This doesn't look too shabby tbh, I'd go! Some thoughts:

Friday - Looks pretty decent on the main stage (though I still don't think RB will solo headline and I cant see Catfish playing still. Seems maybe a bit weak too at the lower end? Ditch Milk Teeth and put someone in above The Amazons imo). NME seems a bit weird imo tho. Still don't think these Dua Lipa predictions will hold true, and sampha is pitched a bit too low imo. Just chuck Sampha is where Dua is and move DMA's up into the empty slot).

Saturday - Arcane roots would surely be able to get higher than that? Other than that main stage looks pretty solid. Looking at the NME looks pretty decent too, though I would swap King Giz & SZA (who is a really good shout tbh).

Sunday - Fickle Friends are probably underplaced and Declan is probs overplaced tbh (I have both of them and Amazons as my 3rd on acts). Brand New I doubt will be playing tbh but they're placed fairly imo. Darlia I imagine would be higher than that on the NME but other than that looks pretty solid imo (tho neck deep could potentially get a higher slot as well tbh,wouldn't be that suprised if they got the Brand New slot on main)

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Still don't think these Dua Lipa predictions will hold true

Fickle Friends are probably underplaced and Declan is probs overplaced tbh (I have both of them and Amazons as my 3rd on acts)

Yeah, Dua Lipa is doing arenas (and other large venues) in the Spring so she'd be main stage. However I don't see her at R+L at all and is a shoo in for V Fest.

Also I think you're being generous in adding Fickle Friends to those two. I mean, I'd rather listen to them but McKenna is playing bigger venues than the clubs FF are doing and The Amazons are playing theatres and such so they'd be at least a couple of places higher.

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, Dua Lipa is doing arenas (and other large venues) in the Spring so she'd be main stage. However I don't see her at R+L at all and is a shoo in for V Fest.

Also I think you're being generous in adding Fickle Friends to those two. I mean, I'd rather listen to them but McKenna is playing bigger venues than the clubs FF are doing and The Amazons are playing theatres and such so they'd be at least a couple of places higher.

I mean, Amazons and FF  played the same venue in my town (admittedly Amazons did sell it out quicker) but FF will have an album out by then so I predict that they're gonna get a big boost from that (whereas I doubt we'll get any new music from the Amazons or Declan by then)

On 10/18/2017 at 8:49 PM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Made this rough clashfinder of what I'm thinking for Main & NME. Very open to suggestions of what people think is realistic/unrealistic and acts to fill in the gaps I've got.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.45.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.45.43.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.45.57.png

This is pretty much the best possible lineup for me other than the end of friday but still. Would love to see pinegrove there