Lineup 2018

2 hours ago, bigcharlie65 said:

no offence I agree with all headliners all very likely and subs very good boy better know I believe is a shot in the dark I would probably change that for stormzy or  Macklemore etc and I would probably change the courteeners for vampire weekend or cage the elephant and swap them with don broco and I would change don broco for kodaline as they have new eps and album coming out I know that sounds very indie it kind is but that is readings kind of image rock/indie I agree with all second row apart from I think dua lipa might be changed for the likes of mura masa or odesza apart from that I think this is strong prediction.

Kodaline wouldn't be that far up the bill surely. Pretty sure macklemore would be further down the bill too nowadays. Doubt mura masa will be back next year, he's played the last 2 and won't have anything new out before next year I doubt. ODESZA I doubt too as they have never played R+L. Personally I think someone like Jack Garrat is more likely, but as they're expanding into alt-pop someone like Charli XCX if she has a strong album or Banks or FKA Twigs would all be more likely in that slot imo

1 minute ago, TenInchToenaiIs said:

King Gizz doing Brixton so they must be nme headliners 

NME headliner? maybe like 5th down on that stage. Not sure how big King G is with the school leavers...

24 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Does anyone have predictions for dance acts that could potentially be on main stage or headline the nme? The only act I can think of is Galantis as they are doing an arena tour early next year unsure who else is relevant really 

They're doing an arena tour? I thought they were well smaller than that.

Chainsmokers have been thrown about for a main stage sub or NME headliner. Don't really think they're a sub candidate anymore given that their Alexandra Palace date is already shifting slower than Flume's, and he only headlined NME, but yeah they're supposed to be about.

Can't really think of anyone for the main stage.

Pendulum or Chase & Status probably stand a chance of headlining the NME stage as they're on their way down lineups now. Also Jamie xx will at least headline the NME when he has new material - next year might be too soon but I dunno.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're doing an arena tour? I thought they were well smaller than that.

Chainsmokers have been thrown about for a main stage sub or NME headliner. Don't really think they're a sub candidate anymore given that their Alexandra Palace date is already shifting slower than Flume's, and he only headlined NME, but yeah they're supposed to be about.

Can't really think of anyone for the main stage.

Pendulum or Chase & Status probably stand a chance of headlining the NME stage as they're on their way down lineups now. Also Jamie xx will at least headline the NME when he has new material - next year might be too soon but I dunno.

Yeah they toured last year in academies and it sold well I think so I assume they just thought they could sell well in arenas don't think they are that great and could still probably see them just headline the dance stage a night. Think the chainsmokers definitely have flopped since going their pop route and they've lost their original fan base but they are a big name so wouldn't be surprised if they got a big spot next year. I think a live drum and bass act would be a great nme headliner or 3rd on main stage. Jamie xx would be a good option  too but wouldn't be surprised if he was still touring with the xx next year.

Plus Galantis' recent album did really poorly, to use my recent analogy they are doing a Slaves.

IMO I think it's pretty easily locked in that a DnB act will be doing an NME headline slot. Pendulum, Chase & Status and Rudimental all with new stuff. Plus Wilkinson is pretty much guaranteed to be on the NME after headlining that stage in Leeds this last year. Camo & Krooked also are potential Dance headliners off the back of their last album imo. Fred V & Grafix have put together a live show this year, so I kinda expect a festival debut of that next year at R+L.

Both Maya Jane Coles and Kolsch have had new albums out so could see both of them doing something on the dance or NME stage. Hannah wants is really popular atm too. Would definitely expect her to headline the Dance stage one night.

Other potnetial acts that could be high up the bill are Gorgon City with their new album out (they seem to not do closing sets anymore but they'd be ideal candidates). If Porter Robinson's new album is out could easily see him subbing a stage too. Krewella will have a new album out so could see them on the Dance stage too

People have suggested ODESZA but they've never played the fest before and I think they'd want too high of a slot (theyd probs want to headline the NME). Madeon's never played the fest either although he'll probably have his album out by then. RL Grime has never played either, but I think he'd probably the best candidate for a main stage act. I guess Annie Mac could work her magic on the main stage too but tbh I think they'd be more likely to put her on the NME if she plays.

Also rumour has it that both Sigma and DJ Snake will be putting out albums next year. IF either of those are true they are good candidated for main stage or NME performances too.

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Plus Galantis' recent album did really poorly, to use my recent analogy they are doing a Slaves.

IMO I think it's pretty easily locked in that a DnB act will be doing an NME headline slot. Pendulum, Chase & Status and Rudimental all with new stuff. Plus Wilkinson is pretty much guaranteed to be on the NME after headlining that stage in Leeds this last year. Camo & Krooked also are potential Dance headliners off the back of their last album imo. Fred V & Grafix have put together a live show this year, so I kinda expect a festival debut of that next year at R+L.

Both Maya Jane Coles and Kolsch have had new albums out so could see both of them doing something on the dance or NME stage. Hannah wants is really popular atm too. Would definitely expect her to headline the Dance stage one night.

Other potnetial acts that could be high up the bill are Gorgon City with their new album out (they seem to not do closing sets anymore but they'd be ideal candidates). If Porter Robinson's new album is out could easily see him subbing a stage too. Krewella will have a new album out so could see them on the Dance stage too

People have suggested ODESZA but they've never played the fest before and I think they'd want too high of a slot (theyd probs want to headline the NME). Madeon's never played the fest either although he'll probably have his album out by then. RL Grime has never played either, but I think he'd probably the best candidate for a main stage act. I guess Annie Mac could work her magic on the main stage too but tbh I think they'd be more likely to put her on the NME if she plays.

Also rumour has it that both Sigma and DJ Snake will be putting out albums next year. IF either of those are true they are good candidated for main stage or NME performances too.

You keep saying this about a DnB NME headliner but none of those acts are a big deal at the moment and genre itself isn't. It's nothing like locked in that we'll have a DnB NME headliner. If they have acts like Jamie xx, Friendly Fires, Enter Shikari and loads of other decent options then they're not gonna pass on them in order to book Rudimental who no one in the world cares about anymore.

I reckz you focus too much on the genre of acts (see also: your template of a heavy rock, indie/alt rock, something else headline trio) rather than them just booking the most suitable acts they can get. I would imagine there'll be three more suitable NME headliners for them to pick from than C&S/Pendulum/Rudimental, especially the latter.

Just now, Andre91 said:

The Streets, Enter Shikari & Friendly Fires. That's who I'm fancying for NME headliners. 

The Streets said their tour was a one-off but I guess they could have meant it's a one-off in terms of their own dates.

I've currently got Jungle, All Time Low and Friendly Fires but I'm not sure at all really. Got Shikari subbing Download.

14 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

The Streets said their tour was a one-off but I guess they could have meant it's a one-off in terms of their own dates.

I've currently got Jungle, All Time Low and Friendly Fires but I'm not sure at all really. Got Shikari subbing Download.

ATL is a decent (but also terrible) shout. Hmm I did have Shikari subbing DL for ages but changed my mind recently. I'd love to see it. 

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

You keep saying this about a DnB NME headliner but none of those acts are a big deal at the moment and genre itself isn't. It's nothing like locked in that we'll have a DnB NME headliner. If they have acts like Jamie xx, Friendly Fires, Enter Shikari and loads of other decent options then they're not gonna pass on them in order to book Rudimental who no one in the world cares about anymore.

I reckz you focus too much on the genre of acts (see also: your template of a heavy rock, indie/alt rock, something else headline trio) rather than them just booking the most suitable acts they can get. I would imagine there'll be three more suitable NME headliners for them to pick from than C&S/Pendulum/Rudimental, especially the latter.

I just think it's the way Reading is looking to go. They seem to be moving away from being a rock festival and towards being a variety festival for urban music aimed at school leavers. School Leavers like their DnB raves, and all 3 of those would probably go down better than the likes of someone like Jamie XX (who I imagine would still be touring with the xx). Pendulum and Chase & Status have long term relationships with FR, and Rudimental has done a bunch of stuff with Live Nation before. I agree Rudimental is the least likely, but I think Pendulum or C&S are far more likely than someone like Cage The Elephant or Metronomy or All Time Low...

And I don't think DnB is falling away that much. At least in Nottingham, DnB are probably the best selling gigs atm. Pretty much every one that comes up sells out.

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I just think it's the way Reading is looking to go. They seem to be moving away from being a rock festival and towards being a variety festival for urban music aimed at school leavers. School Leavers like their DnB raves, and all 3 of those would probably go down better than the likes of someone like Jamie XX (who I imagine would still be touring with the xx). Pendulum and Chase & Status have long term relationships with FR, and Rudimental has done a bunch of stuff with Live Nation before. I agree Rudimental is the least likely, but I think Pendulum or C&S are far more likely than someone like Cage The Elephant or Metronomy or All Time Low...

And I don't think DnB is falling away that much. At least in Nottingham, DnB are probably the best selling gigs atm. Pretty much every one that comes up sells out.

Damn is every argument for/against acts playing gonna be about what school leavers think? :lol: Why do they even have bars at this festival???

For second stage I personally think either Panic or All Time Low, The Kooks and then a rapper like Tyler, The Creator or someone against whoever the "heavier" headliner is.

Personally don't think DnB is relevant enough anymore for an NME headliner, and that Shikari will sub Download.

Yeah I was thinking about Manson, given the previous metal bands they've booked it seems like the natural next step

I think ADTR should sub, wouldn't want to devalue em so they can headline download next. Just reminded me, no idea why every rock band in existence has to completely abandon what made them big in the first place to go all out pop ( which hasn't worked out for any of them) then ADTR make a monster of a heavy album and are now bigger than all of them. Need to be taking notes boys

Ino that was completely irrelevant, just came to mind as I was typing and couldn't resist

Edited by Steve1000