Lineup 2018

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Could see him headlining Bestival. Might not impact whether he'd play R&L or not but for some reason I can't see him being there. Had been wondering what hip-hop act Bestival could get as a headliner next year.

I wasn’t being totally serious but it did get me thinking that he might do a proper festival run if he was doing this EDM-hip hop thing that festivals eat up now. Guess Bestival would work, so would the likes of Creamfields I bet.

I know no one on here really cares about 1Xtra stage or acts (At all) but I've got to say Wretch 32 is definitely a strong candidate for 1Xtra or a 6PM or so NME slot. New album released today, bit of hype around it, bit of a legend on the scene (Very similar in status to Lethal Bizzle this year). Would be a good booking imo.

2 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

Beyoncé is because she was going to headline this year but postponed it as she was pregnant. She was always going to headline 2018

I mean, thats what confuses me more they knew they had Beyonce already and went to book the Weeknd anyway?

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I wasn’t being totally serious but it did get me thinking that he might do a proper festival run if he was doing this EDM-hip hop thing that festivals eat up now. Guess Bestival would work, so would the likes of Creamfields I bet.

I mean Idris Elba played Creamfields this year so I could defo see it happening

11 hours ago, justanothername said:

Honestly I prefer the current Lock Up though I will say that 2014 is where it peaked for me. Mike Davies really went out on a high on that one

Do it know if it's my imagination or not but the bands seemed bigger in those days

I loved the bands in the Lock up this year but they seemed smaller.e.g. I watched  Gnarwolves and Arcane Roots In 200 capacity venues a few months before Reading Festival but they were playing high up on the Lock up.Tired Lion played to about 100 a night on their tour

Saying that, Breaking Benjamin and Billy Talent were fantastic bookings

Just now, dentalplan said:

Sucks that there could only realistically be one. Both would be better bookings than any rock band.

id much prefer all rock bands and its what reading originated as and what it's about but one hip-hop headliner is fine but for me, any more than that would be disappointing, I would be spending much more time in the nme tent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think Kanye would be a great headliner as he rarely performs nowadays and would probably sell the most tickets out of any potential rap headliner. Kendrick would be fantastic too and would sell tickets easily I just really hope they don't get drake think he just is too much of a pop star nowadays and that's not the direction R&L should go in my opinion

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paulmcm1998 said:

I think Kanye would be a great headliner as he rarely performs nowadays and would probably sell the most tickets out of any potential rap headliner. Kendrick would be fantastic too and would sell tickets easily I just really hope they don't get drake think he just is too much of a pop star nowadays and that's not the direction R&L should go in my opinion

Especially when he'd be such a great headliner at both Wireless and V. It would be a waste to put him in R+L imo...

3 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I agree completely with all of this. Kanye and Kendrick would both sell tickets and both suit the festival. Drake is, well I've already made my thoughts on Drake clear on here. He's a popstar. Really shouldn't headline. Way more suited to Wireless/V like Mattymooz said.

1 hour ago, Jack w said:

id much prefer all rock bands and its what reading originated as and what it's about but one hip-hop headliner is fine but for me, any more than that would be disappointing, I would be spending much more time in the nme tent.

Started as a jazz festival didn’t it? And it’s frequently changed to capitalise on what’s popular so there even being two rock bands up there seems a little regressive to me given that most new rock bands only seem fleetingly popular and don’t sustain it long enough to headline.

Anyway, I reckon cos of the backlash they’d receive and the hesitance they’ve had to have rappers headline suggests it’s not really about to happen, but I’m just saying it’s a shame that they do cancel each other out when the most respectable and contemporarily popular booking next year would undoubtedly be a rapper.

1 hour ago, Jayvk said:

I agree completely with all of this. Kanye and Kendrick would both sell tickets and both suit the festival. Drake is, well I've already made my thoughts on Drake clear on here. He's a popstar. Really shouldn't headline. Way more suited to Wireless/V like Mattymooz said.

I think he’s important enough in hip hop to not just be considered a pop star but you’re right in that nowadays he’s really a casual concern and doesn’t inspire much devotion or owt. If FR could bag him for anywhere then they’d be stupid not to have him at V, given that it’d practically cannibalise V to have him at R+L.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Started as a jazz festival didn’t it? And it’s frequently changed to capitalise on what’s popular so there even being two rock bands up there seems a little regressive to me given that most new rock bands only seem fleetingly popular and don’t sustain it long enough to headline.

Anyway, I reckon cos of the backlash they’d receive and the hesitance they’ve had to have rappers headline suggests it’s not really about to happen, but I’m just saying it’s a shame that they do cancel each other out when the most respectable and contemporarily popular booking next year would undoubtedly be a rapper.

I think he’s important enough in hip hop to not just be considered a pop star but you’re right in that nowadays he’s really a casual concern and doesn’t inspire much devotion or owt. If FR could bag him for anywhere then they’d be stupid not to have him at V, given that it’d practically cannibalise V to have him at R+L.

I can definitely see a rap headliner next year being the main act of the festival next year especially with Eminem selling so well this year. A big rap headliner is probably the safest option  rather than pulling in a massive band like foo fighters

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I can definitely see a rap headliner next year being the main act of the festival next year especially with Eminem selling so well this year. A big rap headliner is probably the safest option  rather than pulling in a massive band like foo fighters

Nah I think Foos and Arctic Monkeys are still the safest options they have, but Kanye/Kendrick/Drake would definitely go down well and they'd be better off booking them than most of the average-sized rock/indie headliners such as QOTSA, Paramore, Florence, The Killers, etc. (and the likes of Kasabian and Biffy from the last couple of years).

• Like 1

The more I think about it I think the most likely trio will be Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick & Royal Blood

Arctics are one of the biggest rock bands they could book now, could be grouped in with 'big' bookings a la Foos, RHCP, Muse, Eminem etc. Also if they've just released a new album and R&L get them as an exclusive it would be massive. Only question is would they headline that soon after releasing their album?

Kendrick again would be huge if exclusive, probably would shift loads of day tickets and is a nice alternative to the other two. Also subbed in 2015 and went down incredibly so he has good history with the fest.

Royal Blood would be a good 'heavier' headliner, plus R&L are the sort of festival that would give them the bump up to headline status. Possibly as a coheadliner, but I can't think of who could coheadline with them. People suggesting Paramore or QOTSA a lot, but that would mean 2 of the headliners from 2014 again (Arctics headlined then too) and seems silly for those to be coheadliners again, shouldn't they just be outright headliners instead? Don't think either will play next year. Royal Blood with a strong sub would be my guess.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Biggest

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The more I think about it I think the most likely trio will be Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick & Royal Blood

Arctics are one of the biggest rock bands they could book now, could be grouped in with 'big' bookings a la Foos, RHCP, Muse, Eminem etc. Also if they've just released a new album and R&L get them as an exclusive it would be massive. Only question is would they headline that soon after releasing their album?

Kendrick again would be huge is exclusive, probably would shift loads of day tickets and is a nice alternative to the other two. Also subbed in 2015 and went down incredibly so he has good history with the fest.

Royal Blood would be a good 'heavier' headliner, plus R&L are the sort of festival that would give them the bump up to headline status. Possibly as a coheadliner, but I can't think of who could coheadline with them. People suggesting Paramore or QOTSA a lot, but that would mean 2 of the headliners from 2014 again (Arctics headlined then too) and seems silly for those to be coheadliners again, shouldn't they just be outright headliners instead? Don't think either will play next year. Royal Blood with a strong sub would be my guess.

Arctics....Biggest Rock bands???? Indie maybe, rock fuck no!

Edited by TornShaun

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Kendrick again would be huge if exclusive, probably would shift loads of day tickets and is a nice alternative to the other two. Also subbed in 2015 and went down incredibly so he has good history with the fest.

Definitely can't see Royal Blood solo headlining. They have gotten far worse placements at all other festivals (3rd down at Glasto etc.) and I can't see they would look so weak compared to Kendrick and Arctics. Defo can see them coheadlining, the issue is I don't really know who would be best coheadline with them (otherwise they could be stuck subing tbh). Paramore I think is most likely, 21P aren't big enough yet and I dont think QOTSA are busy elsewhere. I kinda hope Prodigy but I doubt it.

Just now, TornShaun said:

But i'd be happy with Foos, Arctics and some Rapper, something for everyone!

No way they'll get Foos and Arctics in one year lol. There would be no point buisness wise as just one would sell well anyways and then they could spread it over 2 years.

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

When it comes to rock bands that are relevant today, Arctics are 2nd biggest in the world behind Foos, and them being relevant is up for debate

Coldplay maybe but they don't really count

I was just getting at the point of rock and then sub genres!