Lineup 2018

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The idea of them being in talks to play in 2016 seems ludicrous to me and rings of false info, and I just don't see them ever being booked to play again. I believe the reason they did it in 2009 was because they wanted to switch things up a bit and play somewhere different/new, which they now have, so I don't see why they'd want to do it again. Plus, people buying day tickets especially to see Radiohead aside, the audience for them at R/L has dwindled significantly since 2009 (and at Leeds, at least, their crowd pretty much halved by the end of their set).

I dunno, I think their reach is being underestimated a bit. I'm sure loads of kids just getting into rock/indie rock would be all over a Radiohead set. And they've just been around the world playing Creep and Fake Plastic Trees to massive festival crowds so I don't think the difficult fans' band thing is really as consistent a thing as it used to be (tho maybe not load all the hits at the end like Glastonbury). Seems fine to me really.

Guess they'd not be there if Foo Fighters were (might be a bit too Glasto 2017 considering they're possibly gonna have to appeal to that audience) but maybe Foos do their own shows, Arctics aren't ready and Radiohead are the major band ready to carry the weekend. :dontknow:

8 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I've been through it several times on here but I just don't think they have the appeal to 16 year olds aside from one song. They're the same as KoL and Kaiser Chiefs who I don't think they'd book anymore for the same reason. The people who were into them in their prime are too old for R&L now and they aren't picking up new fans. And unlike other bands who are similar in that regard (RHCP, Foos, Muse, Green Day) they don't hold any kind of "legendary" appeal and people getting into indie/pop music now aren't gonna be checking out decade old Killers albums like people getting into rock music will be checking out old RHCP/Foos/Muse albums.

I think they're stuck at IOW/TRNSMT/BST and maybe V if they go back to booking non-outright pop headliners. Festivals where this kind of band still has fans.

Killers and Kaisers got back catalogues full of Karaoke bangers, think they'd go down alright

8 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I doubt it. There'll not be a lot on the undercard to make fans of that kind of music shell out over £200 and have to go to R&L for 5 days.

I'd say there's enough crossover between 6 music and your typical teenybopper, throw in Tame, VW, WA, Chance, Lana etc

• Upvote 1

Radiohead would definitely appeal to a lot of people at R&L tbh. I know a lot of people from like 15-24 who go to festivals including R&L and absolutely love Radiohead. They're very much still popular with people in their teens and early twenties (R&L's main audience at this point). I'd say Kendrick, Radiohead and Royal Blood or Arctic Monkeys would be a solid weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'd say there's enough crossover between 6 music and your typical teenybopper, throw in Tame, VW, WA, Chance, Lana etc

If Radiohead did play there ain't a chance FR would accommodate an undercard like the one your'e suggesting. A suitable sub such as Vampire Weekend or Tame Impala? Maybe, but that's where it would end. 

Tbh I'm 100% certain that Radiohead won't be there (2018 or ever again). If they'd have given an all round positively received performance at Glastonbury then yeah, maybe, but it was very much a half and half ordeal and if they can't win over a crowd at Glastonbury, the festival who's name goes hand in hand with theirs, then they just don't stand a chance at R/L. It'd be a terrible booking on all fronts.

16 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Killers and Kaisers got back catalogues full of Karaoke bangers, think they'd go down alright

Catalogues of shiters.

Just don't see em spunking a headliner fee on a band that doesn't fit the festival that well. Who knows? Maybe they'll play, I just don't see it at all.

Edit: R&L is also the "edgy" choice for school leavers compared to the likes of V. It's where people go who take pride in not being into the music on offer at V and the like. Kinda tragic but that's the mindset of a lot of school leavers and I'm sure a lot of us were the same when we were 16.

Edited by Will-2609

As for The Killers, I can see it happening. They may still be resting on Mr Brightside/the other singles from Hot Fuss, but there's no denying that those songs still have an audience with younger crowds these days, if only because it's impossible to go to an 'indie' night without hearing them. I'm not expecting them to be booked and the likes of TRSMT, V etc do seem more likely, but they wouldn't go down terribly at R/L as long as they weren't the big main attraction headliner.

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If Radiohead did play there ain't a chance FR would accommodate an undercard like the one your'e suggesting. A suitable sub such as Vampire Weekend or Tame Impala? Maybe, but that's where it would end.

I'm saying these are all acts which you'd be likely see play anyway, with or without Radiohead, so I'm pointing out that there is sufficient crossover with 6 Music listeners for Radiohead fans to consider worthwhile.

Anyways, I'm talking about them as a ticket seller, doesn't really matter if there's a small handful of punters who don't really give a fuck about the music that are bored during their set

Edited by Steve1000

Seeing as this discussion started based on them supposedly being booked/lined up in 2016, let's look at the undercard that year.

Their day on the main stage would have been:

Radiohead / The Vaccines / A$AP Rocky / Five Finger Death Punch / Sleeping With Sirens / Coheed and Cambria / State Champs

Plus probably one more act in there as Radiohead were supposedly replaced by Biffy and FOB (or were Disclosure gonna sub them lol?).

There's not much there for a Radiohead fan, is there? Also the only remotely Radiohead-fanbase headliner across the rest of the weekend on any stage was Foals.

I just don't believe it happened tbh. Doubt R&L would book them. Why weren't Biffy picked up by any other festival until R&L came calling at the last minute? Surely at least BST or something would have had them. Even taking a sub spot at Glasto that year. Also what was the story? It was supposed to be Foals/FOB co-headline, RHCP and Radiohead? Where were Disclosure supposed to play? 3rd down? Subbing Radiohead? They were a much more suitable booking as a co-headliner than a random FOB booking 1.5 years after their most recent album. Why did Radiohead seemingly bail for absolutely no reason? They had no clashing dates and didn't play anywhere else in the UK that year except those three Roundhouse dates in May.

Doesn't add up to me.

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I just don't believe it happened tbh. Doubt R&L would book them. Why weren't Biffy picked up by any other festival until R&L came calling at the last minute? Surely at least BST or something would have had them. Even taking a sub spot at Glasto that year. Also what was the story? It was supposed to be Foals/FOB co-headline, RHCP and Radiohead? Where were Disclosure supposed to play? 3rd down? Subbing Radiohead? They were a much more suitable booking as a co-headliner than a random FOB booking 1.5 years after their most recent album. Why did Radiohead seemingly bail for absolutely no reason? They had no clashing dates and didn't play anywhere else in the UK that year except those three Roundhouse dates in May.

Foals/FOB was never a thing. It was reported by someone on here who "heard it at the festival", despite us knowing about Foals and Disclosure headlining in November or earlier. Biffy weren't picked up by anyone cos they'd already headlined everywhere since their last hit. Fall Out Boy and Biffy Clyro were obviously the replacement coheadliners - why would Biffy have been a coheadliner so soon after if not?

Radiohead were the only name given by Neil and he seemed fairly confident, and obviously if they were meant to have been booked then they were seen as an appropriate headliner regardless of undercard. If it wasn't them then who was it who dropped out? And are they in contention for 2018?

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Foals/FOB was never a thing. It was reported by someone on here who "heard it at the festival", despite us knowing about Foals and Disclosure headlining in November or earlier. Biffy weren't picked up by anyone cos they'd already headlined everywhere since their last hit. Fall Out Boy and Biffy Clyro were obviously the replacement coheadliners - why would Biffy have been a coheadliner so soon after if not?

Radiohead were the only name given by Neil and he seemed fairly confident, and obviously if they were meant to have been booked then they were seen as an appropriate headliner regardless of undercard. If it wasn't them then who was it who dropped out? And are they in contention for 2018?

Fair enough on the Foals/FOB thing. Forgot about us knowing about Foals/Disclosure so early on.

Why did Radiohead need replacing with two acts? Surely they'd leave one spot at the top of the lineup which could have been taken by Biffy alone. Not sure why Biffy being a late replacement meant they needed a co-headliner.

Yeah I know Neil was confident in it but it just seems odd to me. My point was that I think Biffy and FOB were always lined up. Then again if that was the best alternative they had then maybe it would have made sense to take a punt on Radiohead instead, I guess.

I don't think they're in contention for 2018. They'd go down horribly imo, which they also did to half the crowd at Glasto, the festival most suited to them.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Fair enough on the Foals/FOB thing. Forgot about us knowing about Foals/Disclosure so early on.

Why did Radiohead need replacing with two acts? Surely they'd leave one spot at the top of the lineup which could have been taken by Biffy alone. Not sure why Biffy being a late replacement meant they needed a co-headliner.

Yeah I know Neil was confident in it but it just seems odd to me. My point was that I think Biffy and FOB were always lined up. Then again if that was the best alternative they had then maybe it would have made sense to take a punt on Radiohead instead, I guess.

I don't think they're in contention for 2018. They'd go down horribly imo, which they also did to half the crowd at Glasto, the festival most suited to them.

I dunno I guess they just reached out to Fall Out Boy first. I woulda thought they'd have booked Biffy Clyro on their own if they had lined it up in advance or hadn't approached Fall Out Boy, especially as they ended up headlining each site with a longer set, but that's just a guess. Also I think we heard they were struggling for a third headliner at some point in January hadn't we? And then came the Fall Out Boy/Biffy Clyro stuff.

Anyway, basically, normally I'd think Radiohead weren't much of a R+L act but I wouldn't dismiss the 2016 thing personally, and I guess if there was an opportunity to have them on some sort of exclusive across the few dates they were playing then they'd take that for sure. Not expecting them or anything.

What big (4th down/NME headliner to Headliner) wildcard bookings would people love to see? For instance, I can't see Tool ever playing in a million years - despite their appearance on the survey thing - but what a booking it would be.

14 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

What big (4th down/NME headliner to Headliner) wildcard bookings would people love to see? For instance, I can't see Tool ever playing in a million years - despite their appearance on the survey thing - but what a booking it would be.

Rancid fourth down Main Stage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

Pearl Jam
Pixies
Nine Inch Nails
Slipknot
System of a Down

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

Tame Impala

Childish Gambino

Pendulum live

Alt-J

Skrillex 

Post Malone 

The Strokes

I'd love it if even just one of the above played R+L but can't see most of them being booked

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I've been through it several times on here but I just don't think they have the appeal to 16 year olds aside from one song. They're the same as KoL and Kaiser Chiefs who I don't think they'd book anymore for the same reason. The people who were into them in their prime are too old for R&L now and they aren't picking up new fans. And unlike other bands who are similar in that regard (RHCP, Foos, Muse, Green Day) they don't hold any kind of "legendary" appeal and people getting into indie/pop music now aren't gonna be checking out decade old Killers albums like people getting into rock music will be checking out old RHCP/Foos/Muse albums.

I think they're stuck at IOW/TRNSMT/BST and maybe V if they go back to booking non-outright pop headliners. Festivals where this kind of band still has fans.

I mean I agree with KOL & Kaisers, but Killers I think have way more appeal with school leavers than a band like Kasabian... And TBH Mr Brightside not leaving that top 100 charts for a whole 14 years is pretty fucking impressive, and still is the classic cheese song played in all clubs over the country, at every freshers event etc. Definitely think that their reach is massively underestimated here.

Just now, Paulmcm1998 said:

Tame Impala

Childish Gambino

Pendulum live

Alt-J

Skrillex 

Post Malone 

The Strokes

I'd love it if even just one of the above played R+L but can't see most of them being booked

TBH I could see a lot of these being booked. Gambino is probably the least likely as I'm not sure how much he tours nowadays with all the directing/acting he does (though if R+L could book him I bet they would). The rest are all possibilities imo.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean I agree with KOL & Kaisers, but Killers I think have way more appeal with school leavers than a band like Kasabian... And TBH Mr Brightside not leaving that top 100 charts for a whole 14 years is pretty fucking impressive, and still is the classic cheese song played in all clubs over the country, at every freshers event etc. Definitely think that their reach is massively underestimated here.

Yeah that's true but to that I just say:

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

R&L is also the "edgy" choice for school leavers compared to the likes of V. It's where people go who take pride in not being into the music on offer at V and the like. Kinda tragic but that's the mindset of a lot of school leavers and I'm sure a lot of us were the same when we were 16.

2 hours ago, LRDJ said:

Daft Punk

Deadmau5

The xx

Kings of Leon

Radiohead

Arcade Fire

All of them a little bit unlikely but like Paulmcm said, even 1 would do me.