Lineup 2018

I think there's going to be plenty of quality acts knocking around next year, just praying that R&L pull it out the bag after a couple of pretty disappointing years.

Hope something like this would happen but as normal, I'm probably miles off.

AM / Royal Blood / The Wombats
Jungle

Foos / Tame Impala / 21 Pilots 
Enter Shikari

Kendrick / Catfish / Wolf Alice
Pendulum

11 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Kendrick/AM/The Killers then, even better.

whut

I don’t think Arctics will be in the mix if they don’t know when the album’s coming. I know in some bands’ cases it’s okay to do shows before the album’s out but R+L was one of the last shows of the last tour so that’s be well too soon.

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

Surely FR wont have two of the four headliners (QOTSA and AM) from 2014 back in the same year? Or has this been done before?

Not sure that effects who they book. The undercard would be pretty different and if the 3rd guy is Kendrick (who is very different to Blink) I think they'll be fine. Still don't think QOTSA are big enough to solo headline tho.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

whut

I don’t think Arctics will be in the mix if they don’t know when the album’s coming. I know in some bands’ cases it’s okay to do shows before the album’s out but R+L was one of the last shows of the last tour so that’s be well too soon.

Agreed, I think it depends when they are hoping to have it done for (they could still do R+L if it comes out September ish time but if they are aiming for xmas then they'll just wait and do Glasto).

Maybe we will get florence after all. Paramore/Royal Blood \\ Florence \\ Kendrick would be amazing but I doubt they'll go for that many new acts (and would also have 2/4 acts with females in)

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

whut

I guess you may be right, but knowing that they'll probably be picked up by Glasto in 2019 then maybe they'll just go for them anyway (assuming they're active)? Along with Foos they're probably the biggest booking they could get for the demographic and they'd sell out their day, and the majority of attendees won't have been there in 2014, so I'm not sure they'd care.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

30STM touring Europe in March and April. Can definitely see them coming back for late summer fests. There's one of your subs. 

Yeah looks likely, especially with them being rumoured for Pukkelpop. After 2015 and 2016 I thought they seemed to be aiming for new, rising acts as subs, but after Liam Gallagher this year (who I wasn't expecting to be booked) I wouldn't be surprised by 30STM.

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I guess you may be right, but knowing that they'll probably be picked up by Glasto in 2019 then maybe they'll just go for them anyway (assuming they're active)? Along with Foos they're probably the biggest booking they could get for the demographic and they'd sell out their day, and the majority of attendees won't have been there in 2014, so I'm not sure they'd care.

I'm assuming they won't be active personally but even if they are I think R+L could definitely afford to wait. In fact, last time Glastonbury had them first and it worked a wonder by (somehow) putting the band back on the map in time for a successful booking at Reading the next year. If they started bringing back the same acts with the same albums behind them every couple of years because they expect fans to piss off after a couple of years then they'll fall into the same trap as V rotating Killers and Kings of Leon into the ground.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm assuming they won't be active personally but even if they are I think R+L could definitely afford to wait. In fact, last time Glastonbury had them first and it worked a wonder by (somehow) putting the band back on the map in time for a successful booking at Reading the next year. If they started bringing back the same acts with the same albums behind them every couple of years because they expect fans to piss off after a couple of years then they'll fall into the same trap as V rotating Killers and Kings of Leon into the ground.

I guess so but it will have been 4 years since they last played so not as bad as T and V have been (and also longer than Biffy's gap between 13 and 16). Guess it all depends on when they start touring. If they're touring next Summer then they may not still be doing so in 2020 so R&L may just go for it. If they aren't active next Summer then yeah probably Glasto 19 and R&L 20.

25 minutes ago, Dangerbreaks said:

Relatively new to the whole festival thing - around what time will we start to get a clearer idea of who'll be headlining next year and who seems the most likely as of now?

Hey, welcome. The headliners should be officially known in announcements towards the end of November, January and February (or the start of following months) but sticking around here should mean you hear the headliners in advance thru eFestivals info or other helpful peeps (we knew all three by December last year).

As for who we think now,  we haven't really had any solid suggestive info and guesses are mostly based on who assumed to be touring next summer but you'll see who the most common suggestions are by just following the thread or checking recent discussions.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dangerbreaks said:

Relatively new to the whole festival thing - around what time will we start to get a clearer idea of who'll be headlining next year and who seems the most likely as of now?

Just to save you searching from what dental said, here are the current acts people are guessing for headliners:

- Foo Fighters (new album out)

- Arctic Monkeys (new album may be out, but if its not released by september next year it is unlikely)

- The Killers (new album out, huge turnout at glasto + sold out BST)

- Florence + The Machine (probably has a new album out, push for more female headliners)

- Arcade Fire (god please no)

- Royal Blood (new album, hyped band, would probably coheadline)

- Paramore (new album, tour sold very well, would probably coheadline)

- Queens Of The Stone Age (did secret set this year, new album, would probably coheadline)

- Drake (appeared this year, will probably have a new album out)

- Kendrick Lamar (more likely to do Wireless but may do R+L instead)

- Twenty One Pilots (more likely to sub imo but could maybe coheadline)

• Upvote 3

Was just thinking about acts not listed above that could be in contention and I know this is daft but I got to wondering about Radiohead. They were apparently in talks or provisionally in place for 2016 weren't they? 2017 they had Glastonbury already sorted and 2018 they said they're doing a few shows next year before going off for a while, so lets make up for binning 2016 lads.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Was just thinking about acts not listed above that could be in contention and I know this is daft but I got to wondering about Radiohead. They were apparently in talks or provisionally in place for 2016 weren't they? 2017 they had Glastonbury already sorted and 2018 they said they're doing a few shows next year before going off for a while, so lets make up for binning 2016 lads.

The idea of them being in talks to play in 2016 seems ludicrous to me and rings of false info, and I just don't see them ever being booked to play again. I believe the reason they did it in 2009 was because they wanted to switch things up a bit and play somewhere different/new, which they now have, so I don't see why they'd want to do it again. Plus, people buying day tickets especially to see Radiohead aside, the audience for them at R/L has dwindled significantly since 2009 (and at Leeds, at least, their crowd pretty much halved by the end of their set).

8 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

If you have Radiohead and Kendrick headlining, then LCD on NME another night weekend tickets'd fly

Think you're overselling Radiohead and LCD in a Reading/Leeds market. Sure both sell tickets to their own shows well, but they've also both been doing so for the past two years and most people who've wanted to see them have done so. If they were both JUST releasing new albums (before the 2018 festival), then yeah they'd do well, but as is I doubt either would bring in enough punters to sell out their respective days, and FR are wise enough to know that neither are their market anymore.

Kendrick, Foos, Royal Blood (possibly co-headlining with another).

Edited by FloorFiller

13 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Why wouldn't they? Seem a fair shout to me

I've been through it several times on here but I just don't think they have the appeal to 16 year olds aside from one song. They're the same as KoL and Kaiser Chiefs who I don't think they'd book anymore for the same reason. The people who were into them in their prime are too old for R&L now and they aren't picking up new fans. And unlike other bands who are similar in that regard (RHCP, Foos, Muse, Green Day) they don't hold any kind of "legendary" appeal and people getting into indie/pop music now aren't gonna be checking out decade old Killers albums like people getting into rock music will be checking out old RHCP/Foos/Muse albums.

I think they're stuck at IOW/TRNSMT/BST and maybe V if they go back to booking non-outright pop headliners. Festivals where this kind of band still has fans.

Anyway, for me the prime candidates are:

- Arctic Monkeys

- Foo Fighters

- Royal Blood

- Kendrick Lamar

- Florence and the Machine

- Paramore

- QOTSA (if the own outdoor shows thing is false or just refers to a show in Scotland or something)

- Drake

- Kanye West (appaz coming to Europe next year)

- BMTH (if they're active)

Realistically, you'd only get one of the hip-hop acts, and maybe only one of Arctics/Foos. A few of the above could co-headline, too.