Lineup 2018

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Jungle just announced a bunch of new dates, maybe 2017 is the year they finally put out new music and come back? Are they big enough to headline the NME outright?

Friendly Fires > Sampha > Jungle would be one hell of a night

I really don't think we'll be seeing Friendly Fires 3rd down the NME. They were 4th down main in 2011 and there will probably be some hype about them returning.

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Friendly Fires seem a perfect fit for NME headliners. 

Freindly Fires, Jamie XX and then either Enter Shikari or All Time Low is who I'm going for as headliners for that stage. 

Definitely wouldn't expect Jamie xx back again for a while as he is busy with The xx stuff and seems to only play where they are already (unless you're also predicting the xx are playing next year too in which case ignore me). Plus there is no way he'll have time to have written and put out an album by then

Not sure I can see Friendly Fires headlining it. Maybe if they have new material? But I don't think 3rd down NME is too shabby (not much drop off from 4th down main). They only have 2 albums and neither of them charted very well. Haven't seen an absurd amount of hype behind their return either (compared to the amount of people talking about Jungle, when Pendulum returned etc.). Would love to see them headline it but I'm especially not sure they're popular with the teen demographic really either. What do I know tho lol

Edited by Mattymooz

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Definitely wouldn't expect Jamie xx back again for a while as he is busy with The xx stuff and seems to only play where they are already (unless you're also predicting the xx are playing next year too in which case ignore me). Plus there is no way he'll have time to have written and put out an album by then

Not sure I can see Friendly Fires headlining it. Maybe if they have new material? But I don't think 3rd down NME is too shabby (not much drop off from 4th down main). They only have 2 albums and neither of them charted very well. Haven't seen an absurd amount of hype behind their return either (compared to the amount of people talking about Jungle, when Pendulum returned etc.). Would love to see them headline it but I'm especially not sure they're popular with the teen demographic really either. What do I know tho lol

You mean Pendulum who quietly headlined a small festival in Norfolk to absolute zero fanfare on their huge return :P ? 

I get what you mean, though. I just think them doing Brixton is a good sign and I think there will be enough hype around them to warrant a headline slot. 

15 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

4th main is basically equivalent to NME headline. They've just sold out Brixton in 4 days without even having put out new music, and I expect they'll have released music by next Summer. Dunno if I see them doing R&L but I reckon they'd headline NME if they did.

Royal Blood / Thirty Seconds To Mars / Panic! at the Disco / Everything Everything / Nothing But Thieves 

Jungle 

Arctic Monkeys / Stormzy / Courteeners / J Hus / Death From Above 

Enter Shikari 

Foo Fighters / Twenty One Pilots / Wolf Alice / Don Broco / Mastodon 

Friendly Fires 

26 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

You mean Pendulum who quietly headlined a small festival in Norfolk to absolute zero fanfare on their huge return :P ? 

I get what you mean, though. I just think them doing Brixton is a good sign and I think there will be enough hype around them to warrant a headline slot. 

Kinda meant the massive outburst when they headlined Ultra Miami, the Norfolk thing was a bit weird lol

19 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

4th main is basically equivalent to NME headline. They've just sold out Brixton in 4 days without even having put out new music, and I expect they'll have released music by next Summer. Dunno if I see them doing R&L but I reckon they'd headline NME if they did.

I've always assumed 3rd main was equal to NME headliner, 4th main equivalent to NME sub, so it's a slip of one place which I don't think is that bad after 6 years or however long they've been gone...

And Brixton aint the biggest venue, and they only have one date for the whole country so it ain't that surprising (but TBH I'm kinda shocked that it sold out that quickly lol).

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Can't be that many people talking about them. They're playing shows at the end of this month and you've only just noticed. :lol:

Anyway, much like Jungle I think they'll have more hype about them when they have some new material going out. It's entirely possible that Friendly Fires come back to little interest but I doubt R+L will book them in such a low slot; they'll go all in on them and have them in a prominent place or they just won't book them.

Edited by dentalplan

36 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Kinda meant the massive outburst when they headlined Ultra Miami, the Norfolk thing was a bit weird lol

I've always assumed 3rd main was equal to NME headliner, 4th main equivalent to NME sub, so it's a slip of one place which I don't think is that bad after 6 years or however long they've been gone...

And Brixton aint the biggest venue, and they only have one date for the whole country so it ain't that surprising (but TBH I'm kinda shocked that it sold out that quickly lol).

Well they're not directly equivalent obvs but I'd say NME headliners would usually be 3rd/4th down Main, NME subs around 5th and NME 3rds around 7th. Sub Focus, Everything Everything and Mura Masa definitely wouldn't have been near 4th main (although EE were a pretty big booking for their slot I guess).

I also don't think YMAS, Flume or HAIM could have played 3rd down main.

Well I guess I can't argue with that lol, still don't think Friendly Fires are NME headliner material tho

10 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I also don't think YMAS, Flume or HAIM could have played 3rd down main.

Flume (who is one of the biggest most reputable producers in the world) and YM@6 could have definitely, Haim I don't think should have been an NME headliner so I obvs disagree with them

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Well I guess I can't argue with that lol, still don't think Friendly Fires are NME headliner material tho

Flume (who is one of the biggest most reputable producers in the world) and YM@6 could have definitely, Haim I don't think should have been an NME headliner so I obvs disagree with them

I know who Flume is but I don't think he's big enough to play 3rd down main. You Me At Six are absolute nobodies now, they were third down in 2014 when they were definitely bigger than they are now.

But anyway, like I said NME headliner usually equates to around 3rd or 4th down main.

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

FLUME had the single most pathetic crowd I've ever seen in the NME tent after 4pm. The front half in front of the barrier was nowhere near full. Had a quick look in after While She Sleeps and felt sorry for them. I know they were up against Eminem, but it was pitiful. 

YMAS could have gotten away with third, I think. Just. They're definitely on the decline. They're doing a TOYC ten year anniversary tour. I'll be there with bells on because I love that album, but it's never a good sign when bands who have been rising up start doing that. 

Edited by Andre91

Right I really don't go to many gigs but over the past two nights I've seen 6 bands, all of which I could see as easy fits for Reading. SUGARTHIEF I could see get an early FR stage slot, Airways I could definitely see playing a FR or really early NME slot. King No-One played this year so not too sure about them, although talking to the lead singer, there's quite a bit of new music on the way. Willie J Healey had a secret set this year so my guess is that he'll come back next year for a proper slot somewhere, Magic Gang I could see moving up into a NME slot somewhere and Sundara Karma possibly 6th or 7th down on main stage?? These are just my complete guesses so please do point out if any of this is highly unlikely :)

Did anyone try for Kendrick Lamar tickets at Manchester today by any chance? There was no standing available what so ever as soon as they were made readily available. 

Hoping out for a headline performance at a major festival for the DAMN tour now, think R+L is definitely the most likely followed by Wireless. 

I think The Drums is a good shout for FR headliner, enjoyed them the other night and they seem about the right size.

I'd like to think those 30STM dates will sell horribly, surely they're not relevant in 2017. I heard that new song again the other day and fuck me it's bad.

R&L would be really stupid not to book King Kenny to headline imo, assuming he'll be around at the time of course. Kendrick, QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys would be sick, and seems fairly realistic at this point. 

29 minutes ago, GodlikeYeezus said:

Did anyone try for Kendrick Lamar tickets at Manchester today by any chance? There was no standing available what so ever as soon as they were made readily available. 

Hoping out for a headline performance at a major festival for the DAMN tour now, think R+L is definitely the most likely followed by Wireless. 

Yeah it was a shit show. I hate the layout for Eventim and Ticketmaster. Manged to select standing tickets a few times but it made me jump through so many anti-bot checks that by time I had done them the tickets were gone. Really hoping he is at R&L now

13 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Surely FR wont have two of the four headliners (QOTSA and AM) from 2014 back in the same year? Or has this been done before?

That's a fair point, I completely forgot about the QOTSA "open air shows" quote until just now too so it probably won't be them. Kendrick/AM/The Killers then, even better.