Lineup 2018

I know 21P are massive but I still think they need a good year and some big shows under their belt (like Royal Blood would have) before headlining the festival. Obviously they look like playing 2018 so sub and then return to headline a couple of years later makes sense.

Also if they can find two headliners bigger, I could still see Florence + the Machine sharing a night with another headliner. They were supposedly offered a coheadliner slot last year and, well, there’s not many other slots they could get that beat a R+L coheadliner slot, if that’s all the fest is offering them. Still tho they’d get away with a big headliner, Flo and Royal Blood across three nights so I wouldn’t see the point.

9 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

New songs sound excellent. One of them sounds super Strokesy, which is weird because they’re supposed to be writing an album now so why wouldn’t Jules keep it for that? :lol:

6 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

I'm not sure how many R&L goers will remember Friendly Fires! This is good news though...maybe middle of the afternoon main or 3rd/4th down NME? Hard to guage as they've been away a while! 

Much higher than that surely? NME headline level-ish or higher. If their comeback gig is at Brixton I don’t think they’re going about this reunion in a low-key ‘see what we can get’ thing.

Went to see Big Moon last night, they were ace! Sounded even better than they do on their album, I reckon they'll go places. Big crowd, good atmosphere and stage presence as well.

Support act, Get Inuit were also pretty good, only knew one of their songs before going in, but will certainly go and see them again. I can see them getting bigger as well.

The Amazons next week! Hoping they'll be as good as I've heard!

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Much higher than that surely? NME headline level-ish or higher. If their comeback gig is at Brixton I don’t think they’re going about this reunion in a low-key ‘see what we can get’ thing.

I mean no but I aint sure they have a big enough fanbase to just take the NME headline slot "because they don't want to do a low-key reunion". Realistically they can probably get sub at a push but I think 3rd down is more likely. Not sure how much it being a "reunion tour" really matters (plus they were only gone for what, 4 years? it aint exactly the longest hiatus)

49 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean no but I aint sure they have a big enough fanbase to just take the NME headline slot "because they don't want to do a low-key reunion". Realistically they can probably get sub at a push but I think 3rd down is more likely. Not sure how much it being a "reunion tour" really matters (plus they were only gone for what, 4 years? it aint exactly the longest hiatus)

If you google them right now, every publication is calling their gig a comeback show so I think it would factor in their festival slots next year. They were much higher than that before they went away so if they had dropped off so much, I don’t get why they’d rebook them at all.

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you google them right now, every publication is calling their gig a comeback show so I think it would factor in their festival slots next year. They were much higher than that before they went away so if they had dropped off so much, I don’t get why they’d rebook them at all.

Last time they played they did 4th down on the main stage in 2011. I don't think 3rd down on the NME is bad at all tbh (heck, NME headliner is probably a higher slot than 4th down main was back then).

3rd down NME is what Everything Everything got this year (after putting out a bunch of pretty stellar albums). I think NME sub is more likely if they have new music out (or coming out just after the fest like Liam did this year) but if it is just a nostalgia show with their old stuff probs only 3rd down.

10 hours ago, Jack w said:

How far does everyone think reading and Leeds will dive further into the dance and grime scenes over the next few years and do you think they’ll always mainly stick to their roots?

I think it should stay as a Rock and Alt Festival however they were really promoting Download Festival at Reading this year and there was a huge increase in the amount of dance, dj, rap and grime then just a couple of years back. 

Acts like Eminem and Kendrick Lamar fit in with the whole punchy feel or R+L and Kendrick was one of the best acts I have ever seen at Reading. However I think they may become the more "alt" acts with bands like Major Laser and Disclosure becoming the fore front of the new headliners for R+L.

The festival is a business and the 2017 crowd that the acts brought in are a smart move financially. Younger and more care free with their money then maybe people who are R+L veterans?

10 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

The constant promotions on my twitter feed for their arena tour would appear to indicate even co-headlining might be a push.

It's about all sold out apart from some upper tiers.

edit: I now see they've added some more Ally Pally standing, before anyone points it out to me.

Edited by dentalplan

maybelu.png.87a6742cb8f5f9fa69c37d3a38181a96.png

From reading through and having a stab in the dark.

Flo & Machine - played in 2012 as sub and got enough strong songs for Co head.
Paramore - played 2016 as co headliner, make a dream double of leading ladies.
FOB - co head in 2016, new album in Jan 2018
Offspring - played 2011 think new album next year.
Frank Turner - Reading hero! - maybe special opening set again.

Foo Fighters - just released new album and will be in the UK summer 2018
QOTSA - touring with Foos for some dates, new album and secret set last year
21P - played 2016 sub NME
P!ATD - possibly releasing new stuff and maybe doing joint stuff with FOB?
Marmozets - Strong performance in the NME in 2017

Prodigy - New album and UK tour, played 2009
Royal Blood - Arena tour and newish album, played 2015
Wolf Alice - New album and secret set in 2017
Courteeners - strong following & New album
Don Bronco - Secret set as prettyboys in 2017 and reading regulars.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, pwe24 said:

From reading through and having a stab in the dark.

Flo & Machine - played in 2012 as sub and got enough strong songs for Co head.
Paramore - played 2016 as co headliner, make a dream double of leading ladies.
FOB - co head in 2016, new album in Jan 2018
Offspring - played 2011 think new album next year.
Frank Turner - Reading hero! - maybe special opening set again.

Foo Fighters - just released new album and will be in the UK summer 2018
QOTSA - touring with Foos for some dates, new album and secret set last year
21P - played 2016 sub NME
P!ATD - possibly releasing new stuff and maybe doing joint stuff with FOB?
Marmozets - Strong performance in the NME in 2017

Prodigy - New album and UK tour, played 2009
Royal Blood - Arena tour and newish album, played 2015
Wolf Alice - New album and secret set in 2017
Courteeners - strong following & New album
Don Bronco - Secret set as prettyboys in 2017 and reading regulars.

It'd sell way better if QOTSA and The Prodigy swapped places. Homme wouldn't accept a sub spot anyway, even to his best buddy Dave The Running Man.

I also don't buy this talk about F+TM still/suddenly being only a co-headliner. They headlined Glastonbury on their last record, regardless of the caveats about how that happened it'd look downright bizarre for them now to be relegated to a warm up act for Paramore at one of the sites.

Edited by Zac Quinn

By his own admission, Homme doesn't deal with where they play - he just gets a call and plays a gig. Agree they wouldn't sub R+L tho.

But aye, I think Royal Blood/Paramore, Foos and Flo would make more sense out of that. Ditching Prodigy, Fall Out Boy and Queens off the line up because two of them are headliners and The Prodigy I don't think would get a look in at R+L anymore.

12 hours ago, Jack w said:

How far does everyone think reading and Leeds will dive further into the dance and grime scenes over the next few years and do you think they’ll always mainly stick to their roots?

I think they've hit a nice balance of 2 rock headliners (generally one heavier and one more alt-rock) and then a non-rock headliner.

44 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I also don't buy this talk about F+TM still/suddenly being only a co-headliner. They headlined Glastonbury on their last record, regardless of the caveats about how that happened it'd look downright bizarre for them now to be relegated to a warm up act for Paramore at one of the sites.

Bottom line for me is that I don't think they're necessarily in a position to reject it. For instance if R+L had Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys lined up for next year already and offered F+TM a coheadlining berth with Royal Blood then what else would they have waiting for them? Bands need festivals too.

As said tho, it's not a prediction just an outside possibility. Dunno to the extent of what @DR OK knows but I remember him saying they were offered a coheadline slot with Foals before BST picked them up, but I guess they had BST as an option that time. 

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

FLORENCE + THE MACHINE, Twenty One Pilots, Wolf Alice, Don Broco, Nothing But Thieves, Papa Roach, The Amazons, Black Foxxes, Hippo Campus
NME: Axwell /\ Ingrosso, Dua Lipa

FOO FIGHTERS, Tame Impala, Travis Scott, Brand New, Creeper, Lil Uzi Vert, Good Charlotte, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Honeyblood
NME: Future, All Time Low

ROYAL BLOOD & PARAMORE, Thirty Seconds To Mars, Mastodon, Neck Deep, Marmozets, Alien Ant Farm, Muncie Girls, Black Honey
NME: Vampire Weekend, Anderson .Paak

It was very much a stab in the dark! :)

With F+TM I was thinking them being the final act with Paramore before them. This would of been similar with in 2014 when in was Paramore + QOTSA where Paramore felt like the sub to QOTSA. Saying that I am not sure what F+TM are doing at the moment and is she performing on her own without the band at the moment?

With QOTSA and Foos I was just going by QOTSA are supporting Foos on their South American tour and they are subbing to Foos at Cal Jam Fest 2017. 

With Prodigy I was thinking it could be a similar thing to Major Laser this year (which "APPARENTLY" had the largest crowd at Reading) where it is a mad rave party thing.

I think Royal Blood being a co headliner is a good shout. Expecting R+L to go all out as no Glasto in 2018.

48 minutes ago, pwe24 said:

It was very much a stab in the dark! :)

With F+TM I was thinking them being the final act with Paramore before them. This would of been similar with in 2014 when in was Paramore + QOTSA where Paramore felt like the sub to QOTSA. 

AFAIK the sub-headliners have always swapped playing last at each site tho? I.e. if Flo played last at Reading she'd warm up for Paramore at Leeds. If you're gonna have the same act close both festivals you may as well just have an outright headliner and a strong sub.

50 minutes ago, pwe24 said:

Saying that I am not sure what F+TM are doing at the moment and is she performing on her own without the band at the moment?

It was 'in the pipeline' as of an interview in the Telegraph in May, would be a surprise if it wasn't out by next summer given HBHBHB came out in May 2015.

52 minutes ago, pwe24 said:

With Prodigy I was thinking it could be a similar thing to Major Laser this year (which "APPARENTLY" had the largest crowd at Reading) where it is a mad rave party thing.

difference being ofc Major Laser are a massive current act who the current generation of R+L-goers are massively into. The Prodigy are neither current nor one of the biggest acts of all time like your Eminems and Metallica's are, just don't know why they'd be booked at all never mind booked to headline in a year when there are too many headliners to go around.

Could be way off here, unsure on size of some acts

Florence + The Machine, Twenty One Pilots, Stormzy, Weezer, Frank Carter + RS, Peace, Fickle Friends, Black Honey

NME: Jamie XX, Mac DeMarco

Foo Fighters, Catfish and The Bottlemen, Frank Turner + SS, Wolf Alice, Creeper, Good Charlotte, The Amazons, Idles

NME: Chvrches, Dua Lipa

Kendrick Lamar, Royal Blood (Co headline), Imagine Dragons, Lil Uzi Vert, The Wombats, Marmozets, Savages, The Sherlocks

NME: All Time Low, Post Malone

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Bottom line for me is that I don't think they're necessarily in a position to reject it. For instance if R+L had Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys lined up for next year already and offered F+TM a coheadlining berth with Royal Blood then what else would they have waiting for them? Bands need festivals too.

I could see them doubling up V and TRNSMT, and also I don't see R+L blowing both Foos and Arctics next year when it'd be more logical to save at least one of them for 2019. Flo as a co-head could happen if they do pull that off though, yeah.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

FLORENCE + THE MACHINE, Twenty One Pilots, Wolf Alice, Don Broco, Nothing But Thieves, Papa Roach, The Amazons, Black Foxxes, Hippo Campus
NME: Axwell /\ Ingrosso, Dua Lipa

FOO FIGHTERS, Tame Impala, Travis Scott, Brand New, Creeper, Lil Uzi Vert, Good Charlotte, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Honeyblood
NME: Future, All Time Low

ROYAL BLOOD & PARAMORE, Thirty Seconds To Mars, Mastodon, Neck Deep, Marmozets, Alien Ant Farm, Muncie Girls, Black Honey
NME: Vampire Weekend, Anderson .Paak

I'd be happy with that, but Mastodon are surely too high. Would be mental seeing them as a poster band, and it'd be a higher slot than download this year

Florence isn't a huge deal with this crowd no? I'd have thought their fans are most likely Coldplay fans or whatever. Think she might do V with Drake, since going all out pop has fucked them

Edited by Steve1000

22 minutes ago, DMCJ2 said:

Could be way off here, unsure on size of some acts

Florence + The Machine, Twenty One Pilots, Stormzy, Weezer, Frank Carter + RS, Peace, Fickle Friends, Black Honey

NME: Jamie XX, Mac DeMarco

Foo Fighters, Catfish and The Bottlemen, Frank Turner + SS, Wolf Alice, Creeper, Good Charlotte, The Amazons, Idles

NME: Chvrches, Dua Lipa

Kendrick Lamar, Royal Blood (Co headline), Imagine Dragons, Lil Uzi Vert, The Wombats, Marmozets, Savages, The Sherlocks

NME: All Time Low, Post Malone

Swap Frank Turner and Wolf Alice and then that day is fine. IMO Florence is more likely to be in the coheadline slot in this situation than Kendrick. Also no way Wombats are playing 5th down, they'll probs play 4th but tbh I wouldn't be suprised to see them booked 3rd down instead.