Lineup 2018

Again I'm gonna agree the Imagine Dragons are probs still big enough to sub. They have a very dedicated fan base and their new album has done better than their second one iirc (especially on the singles front). The new album currently has over 1/3rd of the sales of the old album. He3ck, their second album which many people thought was awful have almost double the sales of Catfish's sophmore album. And yes sales figures/spotify plays etc. aren't the best indicator but they can't be ignored. Especially as they would match the poppier sub they seem to throw in every year e.g. Bastille this year.

Admittedly, they are doing a lot better in America rn and they are probably more likely to do stuff like V Fest or Big Weekend from now on (given the direction of their latest album). I guess it depends on hos this tour sells out. However I don't expect them to be back to R+L till 2019.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The Prodigy have announced that a new album will be coming in early 2018. 

God they would be a stellar sub but I doubt we'll see them. Can't wait for the subsequent tour though

The idea of a self-described 'big Imagine Dragons fan' is perplexing. There's nothing about them that'd make anyone feel strongly about them and you'd expect people who enjoy their songs to either be very casual fans of music or to be bigger fans of other bands with more anthemic songs, more personality and more of a live spectacle. It's like those One Republic fellas that they used to have all over again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The idea of a self-described 'big Imagine Dragons fan' is perplexing. There's nothing about them that'd make anyone feel strongly about them and you'd expect people who enjoy their songs to either be very casual fans of music or to be bigger fans of other bands with more anthemic songs, more personality and more of a live spectacle. It's like those One Republic fellas that they used to have all over again.

I'm not an Imagine Dragons fan, I don't have them on my mp3 or whatever (my fav is Frank Turner), but I've seen several times Imagine Dragons, and especially at NOS Alive in July. And this show was huge. A lot of songs seemed to be 'anthemic (Time, Radioactive, Demons, Believer..)', and Depeche Mode played after them and didn't look way better. The band has become something, and in my opinion they deserve to be nearly headline-sized (I speak for big festivals in general, not only R&L). So  'big Imagine Dragons fan' doesn't seem perplexing from my point of view  ;) 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

why? As dental says, what about them is there to generate any kind of strong feeling towards them? Utterly mystifying.

I think it's the same reason people like 21P and Bastille. And by that I mean I don't really know why but apparently lots of people love them lol.

I do think the ID's frontman has a nice voice tho

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I think it's the same reason people like 21P and Bastille. And by that I mean I don't really know why but apparently lots of people love them lol.

I mean i'd say a lot of people like 21P because they make music for edgy teens who think they're so relatable. Bastille on the other hand are one of my fave bands but more for Dan's voice and while the band themselves are nothing special or new, they're still really good for what they are imo. Imagine Dragons on the other hand are okay at best. Not the new album though, I don't rate that at all.

8 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I mean i'd say a lot of people like 21P because they make music for edgy teens who think they're so relatable. Bastille on the other hand are one of my fave bands but more for Dan's voice and while the band themselves are nothing special or new, they're still really good for what they are imo. Imagine Dragons on the other hand are okay at best. Not the new album though, I don't rate that at all.

Agreed about 21P, they're a different can of worms

I don't think Bastille or Imagine Dragons have a die hard fanbase though, do they? They're success is just residue from a catchy, throwaway one-hit wonder from their debuts int it?

Edited by Steve1000

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Agreed about 21P, they're a different can of worms

I don't think Bastille or Imagine Dragons have a die hard fanbase though, do they? They're success is just residue from a catchy, throwaway one-hit wonder from their debuts int it?

Pretty much, yeah. Bastille I love the first album but everything since has been 'alright', I'd say most Bastille fans will feel the same, besides the total basic ones who just love whatever's on Radio 1. Imagine Dragons success is definitely down to a couple high charting, catchy but awful songs.

Just now, Jayvk said:

IMO it's the other way round. Bastille are similar to 21P in a way imo as they both seem to rely on the angsty side of things with the "deep" lyrics (or in Bastilles case more their sound). Dan's voice imo is pretty generic too.

ID's lead at least has that interesting rasp (even if his vocal range is awful), and have done a couple of interesting things with the production even if it mostly turned out pretty shit (trying to hop on the vocal chop bandwagon for S+M etc.)

I can't really listen to any Bastille songs, however there are a couple of ID songs that I can listen to (ok, just 2 of them, Dream and I'm So Sorry, but that's still more than Bastille).

Just my opinion on it tbh. Imagine Dragons are definitely still powerhouses as are Bastille and 21P, however much I don't want any of them to be... Can easily see them all of them doing the coheadline slot like Disclosure/Fall Out Boy did previously on this/their next album (though I don't think any of them will be a high priority unlike Royal Blood or 1975)

12 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

IMO it's the other way round. Bastille are similar to 21P in a way imo as they both seem to rely on the angsty side of things with the "deep" lyrics (or in Bastilles case more their sound). Dan's voice imo is pretty generic too.

ID's lead at least has that interesting rasp (even if his vocal range is awful), and have done a couple of interesting things with the production even if it mostly turned out pretty shit (trying to hop on the vocal chop bandwagon for S+M etc.)

I can't really listen to any Bastille songs, however there are a couple of ID songs that I can listen to (ok, just 2 of them, Dream and I'm So Sorry, but that's still more than Bastille).

Just my opinion on it tbh. Imagine Dragons are definitely still powerhouses as are Bastille and 21P, however much I don't want any of them to be... Can easily see them all of them doing the coheadline slot like Disclosure/Fall Out Boy did previously on this/their next album (though I don't think any of them will be a high priority unlike Royal Blood or 1975)

Plenty of singers with a rasp but his voice really is nothing special, even if it is the music is completely and utterly uninteresting and shite.

I'm sure Bastille and Imagine Dragons would be nothing without Pompeii and Radioactive, and the further we get from those releases the more they drop off.

I doubt these bands have hardcore fanbases, I just can't see why they would. I'd expect next time either are about they'll headline the NME

Bastille and imagine Dragons are both big because they make lowest common denominator pop music that gets mass radio play and they both came across a big hit with Pompeii and Radioactive, respectively. It's the same reason bands like The Kooks, The Script and Scouting for Girls had success in the past.

Neither of them are big because of their deep content or because of wildly impressive vocals. You're all overcomplicating it.

I don't know 21P well enough to comment on their success.

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Except for being just as shite, 21P are about as far away as you can get from Bastille and Imagine Dragons in everything else. The latter two brought out massive songs which led to huge debut albums and they've been dining out on it since and not getting any bigger, whereas 21P did the opposite with their third or fourth album or whatever and are primed to be the biggest band in the world when they come back. And they also have loads of gimmicks that encourage fandom as sort of a community like we've seen in the past with the likes of MCR and 30STM - like fans probably know the members' shoe sizes whereas Imagine Dragons and Bastille fans probably don't know the members' names. Just not comparable.

• Upvote 1