Lineup 2018

6 minutes ago, Jack_FM said:

It's a bit grim reading the shouts for 2018 headliners here. I don't think you're far off at all, but it's extremely depressing. Will we ever have another iconic, hard rock headline set that people can get excited about? There's literally no hard rock bands left outside of the UK festival merry-go-round (FF, Kasabian, Muse, Metallica, Blink, RHCP etc.) and most of those are getting on a bit! Don't blame them for taking electronic and grime up the bill.

I don't know what you mean by this at all. Most of the shouts have gone to Arctics, Foos, Queens, Royal Blood etc, none of which would look out of place with the bands you listed. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jack_FM said:

It's a bit grim reading the shouts for 2018 headliners here. I don't think you're far off at all, but it's extremely depressing. Will we ever have another iconic, hard rock headline set that people can get excited about? There's literally no hard rock bands left outside of the UK festival merry-go-round (FF, Kasabian, Muse, Metallica, Blink, RHCP etc.) and most of those are getting on a bit! Don't blame them for taking electronic and grime up the bill.

Only two of those examples are 'hard rock' so depends whether you actually mean 'hard rock' or just 'bands Radio X call rock'. Think it's quite likely GnR will headline again one day, but other than that - with Aerosmith and AC/DC now all but consigned to the history books - it's difficult to think of another 'hard rock' band who'd sell better than or even as well as Drake etc. BTMH, QOTSA and Royal Blood will get their shot before the decade is up but they won't sell like your Drake/Arctics etc do.

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Only two of those examples are 'hard rock' so depends whether you actually mean 'hard rock' or just 'bands Radio X call rock'. Think it's quite likely GnR will headline again one day, but other than that - with Aerosmith and AC/DC now all but consigned to the history books - it's difficult to think of another 'hard rock' band who'd sell better than or even as well as Drake etc. BTMH, QOTSA and Royal Blood will get their shot before the decade is up but they won't sell like your Drake/Arctics etc do.

Oasis reunion if it ever happens would probably headline though I'm not sure I'd call them "hard rock". If Green Day can halt their fall into irrelevancy maybe them too (tho again maybe not Hard Rock). MCR reunion (though not hard rock). Radiohead too could do it potentially if they don't bail like they did in 2016.

7 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I don't know what you mean by this at all. Most of the shouts have gone to Arctics, Foos, Queens, Royal Blood etc, none of which would look out of place with the bands you listed. 

I feel that there's a lack of new rock bands coming through that people get excited about seeing. I don't see how you can justify Royal Blood headlining - as good as they are, they're not big enough. Look at Green Day headlining in 2004 off the back of American Idiot. There's very few rock bands that could get that kind of crowd reaction after releasing a new album. Arctics, QOTSA and maybe Biffy Clyro are the only exceptions for me, I think they'd be fantastic choices. 

12 minutes ago, Jack_FM said:

I feel that there's a lack of new rock bands coming through that people get excited about seeing. I don't see how you can justify Royal Blood headlining - as good as they are, they're not big enough. Look at Green Day headlining in 2004 off the back of American Idiot. There's very few rock bands that could get that kind of crowd reaction after releasing a new album. Arctics, QOTSA and maybe Biffy Clyro are the only exceptions for me, I think they'd be fantastic choices. 

They are though, they've got 2 hugely successful albums and an a massive tour, the fact that they're not as big as one band 14 years ago is irrelevant 

16 minutes ago, Jack_FM said:

Back to back #1 albums would easily make them big enough to headline in my book but I can see where you're coming from with them not necessarily being a 'household' name that everybody and their dog knows but would be a class booking with predictions like a Paramore, Kendrick Lamar, Tame impala and QOTSA being thrown around it would make it a co-headline which may possibly be more appropriate for this years festival. 

As long as the rumours of Arctics supposedly beginning to release new material from December are true, they'd be nailed on to appear next year for me. Them or Foos are really who i'm holding out for as the big ticket shifter.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

30 minutes ago, Jack_FM said:

Funny you mention Green Day as before 2004 you'd be forgiven for thinking they'd already peaked (they already had a best of!) but they came back and Reading obviously took a bit of a leap of faith in booking them to headline, and it worked because when American Idiot (the song, they only played that) dropped they were instantly the biggest band in the world. New bands aren't gonna get the chance to have the iconic headline sets you speak of if they don't get given a go.

Edited by dentalplan

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Prophets of Rage have an album out Friday don't they? Completely forgot until you mentioned that. Wouldn't be that surprising if R+L came in for them would it? Do you know if the Download set went down well enough to merit a rebooking?

Yeah.They were brilliant at Download, would be great to see them at Reading

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Prophets of Rage have an album out Friday don't they? Completely forgot until you mentioned that. Wouldn't be that surprising if R+L came in for them would it? Do you know if the Download set went down well enough to merit a rebooking?

They had a massive crowd at Download and everyone looked as if they were loving. They sounded great. I only stuck around for 15mins but they were really good. I think they'd make a great sub at R&L. 

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I had no idea. I was tempted by their Brixton date just out of curiosity but couldn't justify the price, so a festival slot is ideal really. A shame they weren't at Glastonbury after looking likely for a little while. A glowing review of their Brixton show here. I can't speak for Download but I remember a couple of videos doing the rounds on Facebook over the summer though. This one is from Hellfest. The crowd seem to be quite into it. 

Edited by JSmurphy

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Think Foos might announce another Milton Keynes Bowl date this month when their album comes out. Just had a look at the mailing list email I got and there was an image for "The Foo Fighters Arms" which google tells me is a pub that was present at their MK Bowl shows, so I guess it was indicating something about that. Or they're playing some pub shows in the UK this month which also would not surprise me. :lol:

MK bowl could mean theyre doing IOW next year, Iow is much happier with bands playing there than hyde park/wembley etc.

Just a thought, but do acts who have had to pull out of the previous year usually get booked again for the next year? As in this year in the run up, Bishop Briggs, A2, Katy B and Royal Republic all had to pull out among others. Would they get a look in for next year ahead of others or does this not happen?

Just now, Jayvk said:

Just a thought, but do acts who have had to pull out of the previous year usually get booked again for the next year? As in this year in the run up, Bishop Briggs, A2, Katy B and Royal Republic all had to pull out among others. Would they get a look in for next year ahead of others or does this not happen?

Don't think that really plays a factor in whether they are booked tbh