Lineup 2018

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Get Marmozets on the Main Stage again. 

Tbf if this album does well as expected, they'll probably get a pretty good slot rather than a token early afternoon gig - like 5th down or something at least. Can't see them not booking them next year after this album comes out and a slot late on the Pit or something would be a waste so yeah main is pretty likely.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

out of boredom I've just tried to make a lineup with as many female acts as possible, just to see how it would look. kept it as likely as possible, haven't added anyone who clearly wouldn't play the festival.

Friday

Main: Paramore/Royal Blood (coheadline) // Lorde // Wolf Alice // Metronomy // Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes // Creeper // Black Honey // Arcane Roots

NME: Annie Mac // Jungle // St. Vincent // Foster the People

Saturday

Main: Kendrick Lamar // Tame Impala // Thirty Seconds to Mars // Schoolboy Q // Babymetal // Tonight Alive // Alien Ant Farm // Basement // Milk Teeth

NME: Enter Shikari // Mac DeMarco // Nothing But Thieves // Nadia Rose

Sunday

Main: Foo Fighters // The xx // Stormzy // Brand New // Don Broco // Declan McKenna // Cabbage // Fickle Friends // Idles

NME: CHVRCHES // Dua Lipa // Wilkinson (live) // PVRIS

of course sticking to that theme there'd be numerous other smaller female acts around the festival, i.e. Hannah wants headlining the dance tent. like I said, tried to add as many female acts as possible but still kept it realistic, and still found it hard to make it 50/50 between male and female

I do my best not to bite when this subject comes up but they are not 'female acts' they are 'acts'

Another thing that annoys me is when Zoe Lyons,Aisling Bea and Katherine Ryan get called 'female comedians' rather than 'comedians'

I know your line up and was supposed to be a bit of fun but you aren't helping people's perception that female and male acts are somehow different.

52 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH the only acts I can think of that you missed are Florence as a potential headliner and FKA Twigs who could be on the NME somewhere (as her new album should be out by then and she has played R+L in the past.

FKA Twigs would be a good shout for a high FR slot, think she'd be lost in the NME.

On the others mentioned earlier I'm still hopeful of Lorde and think she'd fit, even if she hasnt played previously.

St Vincent I doubt very much, better suited to Latitude and would get a higher slot. Not the same I know but I saw her play an evening slot in Kings Tuts at T in the Park in 2014 to about 150 people and wouldn't want to see her in front of a poor crowd at Leeds too.

29 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, the fact they included Lorde on the survey of who you want to see implies that they are considering her.

That depends on how connected to their booking process you think the surveys are. I don't think Tool will headline either.

1 hour ago, WFD said:

FKA Twigs would be a good shout for a high FR slot, think she'd be lost in the NME.

FKA twigs - if she was gonna play R+L which I don't think she will - would be about NME headline sized rather than high FR. But again, I think it's not really much of a concern as I doubt she has that many fans inside the gates.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I do my best not to bite when this subject comes up but they are not 'female acts' they are 'acts'

Another thing that annoys me is when Zoe Lyons,Aisling Bea and Katherine Ryan get called 'female comedians' rather than 'comedians'

I know your line up and was supposed to be a bit of fun but you aren't helping people's perception that female and male acts are somehow different.

I get this when people are like "let me tell you about this awesome female-fronted band" when it's irrelevant what the gender is, but when the dude is actually going thru acts to address the obvious gender imbalance at the festival then it is completely relevant. If he just said "i've tried to come up with a line up with as many female acts as possible..." it wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, nobody is saying give slots to bands with women in it that don't merit the slot or aren't appropriate for it so you shouldn't really be bothered if they are no different, as you say.

41 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I get this when people are like "let me tell you about this awesome female-fronted band" when it's irrelevant what the gender is, but when the dude is actually going thru acts to address the obvious gender imbalance at the festival then it is completely relevant. If he just said "i've tried to come up with a line up with as many female acts as possible..." it wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, nobody is saying give slots to bands with women in it that don't merit the slot or aren't appropriate for it so you shouldn't really be bothered if they are no different, as you say.

Yeah, it's just something that's always annoyed me for some reason

Interviewers don't help, if they're interviewing a male it's 'tell me about the writing process ' or 'how long did it take to record the album?' but when they're interviewing a female it's 'what's it like being a woman in a band?' 

I love it when more female bands get booked because I feel that when girls see females up on stage it gives them something to aspire to, but when people make an issue out of it it gives the impression that female bands are only booked to fill a quota or tick a box, which is insulting to the female bands who are there on merit.

10 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, it's just something that's always annoyed me for some reason

Interviewers don't help, if they're interviewing a male it's 'tell me about the writing process ' or 'how long did it take to record the album?' but when they're interviewing a female it's 'what's it like being a woman in a band?' 

I love it when more female bands get booked because I feel that when girls see females up on stage it gives them something to aspire to, but when people make an issue out of it it gives the impression that female bands are only booked to fill a quota or tick a box, which is insulting to the female bands who are there on merit.

Yeah absolutely and hopefully when women are less of a minority in the industry that line of questioning or presentation will go away, but to get there there has to be a focus on booking bands with women involved. Tbh you're right that it has to be natural and based on merit, and this year seemed to go by with a strongly improved showing in booking women without any sorta judgement that bands weren't deserving of their slots so if they could just keep on doing that and eventually build more higher-up bands with women in it then I think that's a winner.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

Chance of prodigy? Or has this idea already been and gone , could see them co-headlining if not out and out headliners

Already a bunch of possible headliners, tho I could see them subbing. However, I doubt we'll see them, they haven't played the festival since 2009

I Prevail, Halestorm and LTA would be the worst set of headliners that stage has ever seen. I Prevail aren't big enough, Halestorm are not an R&L band at all and LTA are too big, I'd say. 

I can definitely see Killswitch Engage headlining it one night with a new album coming in 2018. 

How good would Thursday be :ninja: (well, not at R&L because nobody would appreciate them) 

What makes Halestorm not an R+L band (admittedly they've never played it before but they've done stuff like Download so it''s possible)? I'm pretty sure both Halestorm and I Prevail are bigger than Mastadon who headlined pretty comfortably a couple of years ago, and both would appeal more to teens imo than someone like Mastadon... LTA was more because I had nowhere else to put them and I can't see them skipping next year.

Killswitch Engage I don't see being a better choice than Halestorm, they've only played R+L once (in 2006)...

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Damn is it that bad? Just never heard of Mastadon till they were on that lineup but I prevail have been on my radar for a couple for years :P My bad then lol

:lol: It's pretty bad yeah. I just looked up I Prevail having never heard of them and apparently they were midway down one of the smaller stages at Slam Dunk this year, whereas Mastodon sell out academies and are one of the most popular and critically acclaimed modern metal bands in the world. Honestly I think we were surprised on here when they were announced to headline The Pit.

Halestorm probably aren't so much different in size from Mastodon but I guess there's something about them that appeals more at Download than R+L. Wouldn't rule them out of playing in the future but they haven't been booked yet so I dunno what's keeping them.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

"Child friendly"? :lol: Billy Talent headlined the Pit this year and they weren't giving out goodie bags. To put it simply, Mastodon play every couple of years and Halestorm have never done so, and above everything I think regularly playing R+L in recent memory makes a band "an R+L band" more than any other criterion.

Think Foos might announce another Milton Keynes Bowl date this month when their album comes out. Just had a look at the mailing list email I got and there was an image for "The Foo Fighters Arms" which google tells me is a pub that was present at their MK Bowl shows, so I guess it was indicating something about that. Or they're playing some pub shows in the UK this month which also would not surprise me. :lol:

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

"Child friendly"? :lol: Billy Talent headlined the Pit this year and they weren't giving out goodie bags. To put it simply, Mastodon play every couple of years and Halestorm have never done so, and above everything I think regularly playing R+L in recent memory makes a band "an R+L band" more than any other criterion.

Hahaha it was a bit of a pisstake but what I've heard of Halestorm sounds like it'd resonate with a younger audience, much more so than Mastodon. I was at Chillis when they played so don't know how well they went down, though

Edited by Steve1000

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Think Foos might announce another Milton Keynes Bowl date this month when their album comes out. Just had a look at the mailing list email I got and there was an image for "The Foo Fighters Arms" which google tells me is a pub that was present at their MK Bowl shows, so I guess it was indicating something about that. Or they're playing some pub shows in the UK this month which also would not surprise me. :lol:

would've thought they'd be wanting to play Wembley after having to cancel it two years ago

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But compared to Killswitch Engage who only played once in 2006, what makes Halestorm less likely than them?

EDIT: Ignore me, Andre was the one who suggested them :P

Edited by Mattymooz

9 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Hahaha it was a bit of a pisstake but what I've heard of Halestorm sounds like it'd resonate with a younger audience, much more so than Mastodon. I was at Chillis when they played so don't know how well they went down, though

Really? Their sound is why I think they clearly fit Download better. They're not the kind of rock that is popular at R&L. The same reason why you wouldn't see Black Stone Cherry rocking up. 

It's a bit grim reading the shouts for 2018 headliners here. I don't think you're far off at all, but it's extremely depressing. Will we ever have another iconic, hard rock headline set that people can get excited about? There's literally no hard rock bands left outside of the UK festival merry-go-round (FF, Kasabian, Muse, Metallica, Blink, RHCP etc.) and most of those are getting on a bit! Don't blame them for taking electronic and grime up the bill.