Lineup 2018

7 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I hope it's not Drake. Probably was just a crowd pleaser, and something to make Reading seem generous so you'll give them more money. Like how I'm also not expecting AC/DC to headline. Arctics can do Stadiums, then Glasto, then finally Reading at the absolute bellend of the tour in 2020

Royal Blood / Catfish / Stormzy

Travis Scott

Kendrick / Tame Impala / Wolf Alice

Enter Shikari

Foo Fighters / ADTR / The Kooks

Jamie XX

Surely Foos could just do Stadiums too next year with their new album out?

Arctics imo are more likely to want to have a festival gig to promote their new album given how long they've been gone.

Plus that way you have Arctics for alt-rock fans, Royal Blood/Paramore for the heavier rock fans and Kendrick for the hip-hop people.

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Surely Foos could just do Stadiums too next year with their new album out?

Arctics imo are more likely to want to have a festival gig to promote their new album given how long they've been gone.

Plus that way you have Arctics for alt-rock fans, Royal Blood/Paramore for the heavier rock fans and Kendrick for the hip-hop people.

Either of them could tbh and the more I think about it the more Arctics make sense but I just want Foos to happen so will cling onto them up until we get the final poster :P

Anyways I got plenty Indie in my undercard and whilst none of those headliners necessarily are indie, they all have a large amount of crossover with that crowd so I don't think it's essential

Just spoke to one of my friends who got a day ticket basically just for eminem this year so stayed on the main stage for the whole day. Apparently they were playing out a ton of Kendrick in between acts. I guess if we are using this theory for Alien Ant Farm it could be a hint for Kendrick next year too?

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Just spoke to one of my friends who got a day ticket basically just for eminem this year so stayed on the main stage for the whole day. Apparently they were playing out a ton of Kendrick in between acts. I guess if we are using this theory for Alien Ant Farm it could be a hint for Kendrick next year too?

I don't think that's why AAF are being suggested. I think I was the first one to (recently) suggest it and I wasn't at the fest so I had no idea - they just have random bands from that era/scene that they sling on the line up (Korn, Breaking Benjamin, Seether) and AAF had just announced a tour so made sense.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think that's why AAF are being suggested. I think I was the first one to (recently) suggest it and I wasn't at the fest so I had no idea - they just have random bands from that era/scene that they sling on the line up (Korn, Breaking Benjamin, Seether) and AAF had just announced a tour so made sense.

AAF tour got announced way after people were suggesting them though. I'm pretty sure the original suggestion came from their music being played between acts *gonna go find the sources now*

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm fairly certain they were advertising the tour on the big screens between bands, and Live Nation are promoting the tour so it starts to add up that they'll play the festival too - playing them on the PA is less of a factor really.  The other artist I noticed getting a bit of a push was Banks, so she's a possibility for next year though not sure how that fits with her album cycles.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

AAF tour got announced way after people were suggesting them though. I'm pretty sure the original suggestion came from their music being played between acts *gonna go find the sources now*

Just looked, dental called it first then Andre agreed saying they played it on the PA a lot

4 minutes ago, WFD said:

I'm fairly certain they were advertising the tour on the big screens between bands, and Live Nation are promoting the tour so it starts to add up that they'll play the festival too - playing them on the PA is less of a factor really.  The other artist I noticed getting a bit of a push was Banks, so she's a possibility for next year though not sure how that fits with her album cycles.

I mean, it would only be the 2nd year on her album, but she puts an album out every 2 years so idk. But she kinda fits in with the whole Khalid/Troye Sivan/Lorde/Halsey etc. alt-pop that seems to be on the rise so I can see it happening (especially if they book Lorde)

2 minutes ago, TapeRecorder said:

Just looked, dental called it first then Andre agreed saying they played it on the PA a lot

Cheers :P

out of boredom I've just tried to make a lineup with as many female acts as possible, just to see how it would look. kept it as likely as possible, haven't added anyone who clearly wouldn't play the festival.

Friday

Main: Paramore/Royal Blood (coheadline) // Lorde // Wolf Alice // Metronomy // Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes // Creeper // Black Honey // Arcane Roots

NME: Annie Mac // Jungle // St. Vincent // Foster the People

Saturday

Main: Kendrick Lamar // Tame Impala // Thirty Seconds to Mars // Schoolboy Q // Babymetal // Tonight Alive // Alien Ant Farm // Basement // Milk Teeth

NME: Enter Shikari // Mac DeMarco // Nothing But Thieves // Nadia Rose

Sunday

Main: Foo Fighters // The xx // Stormzy // Brand New // Don Broco // Declan McKenna // Cabbage // Fickle Friends // Idles

NME: CHVRCHES // Dua Lipa // Wilkinson (live) // PVRIS

of course sticking to that theme there'd be numerous other smaller female acts around the festival, i.e. Hannah wants headlining the dance tent. like I said, tried to add as many female acts as possible but still kept it realistic, and still found it hard to make it 50/50 between male and female

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I can't see Lorde subbing. I don't think she would work at R&L. 

Just now, dentalplan said:

Lorde and St. Vincent made the cut tho? Neither have appeared before and I don't see either of those playing in the years to come, personally.

I'm aware that there's many other acts that would get booked for those spots before Lorde/st. Vincent, but I don't think it's out the question that they could be booked. Lorde especially, I think she'd go down very well with the R&L crowd nowadays. Also put her under the coheadliners, which is technically 3rd down. It'd be the equivalent of Bastille or Imagine Dragons subbing in recent years I'd say, although I'm aware they have been booked frequently at r&l. it's not a prediction of who I think will be booked, it's just to show what would happen if FR pushed for more female acts. I think both Lorde and St. Vincent would go down well if booked.

They're just gonna do what they did this year and put all-female or female-fronted rock bands on the main stage in slots of lesser significance and then it'll mostly give way to dude rock bands and rappers as it goes up the bill. Doesn't sound ideal but what they're doing is exposing bands that they actually would book to main stage audiences in a bid to grow their popularity, and they've been pretty proud of their attempts too. 

They're really unlikely to just start dragging in random pop artists who've never played the festival to fill slots higher up. I'd say instead of expecting Lorde and The xx to stride in outta nowhere and level the playing field, expect the likes of Hinds, Tonight Alive, Marmozets appearing in the afternoon.

• Upvote 1