Lineup 2018

27 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Can't see no Glasto making any difference. The only way Glasto would stop them booking bands is by having them as headliners (and therefore stopping R&L having them because they would no longer be exclusive), and the only one around who would be likely to headline Glasto is Arctic Monkeys.

Last time Glasto wasn't on, in 2012, the lineup was no different to usual.

Weaker than the years either side of it, if anything. And I mean logic dictates it would be: obvs, if there's a summer when the biggest festival in the world ain't on, then - if they can help it - bands are gonna try not to time the release of a new record for that summer when they can't promote it at said not-happening festival.

21 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Weaker than the years either side of it, if anything. And I mean logic dictates it would be: obvs, if there's a summer when the biggest festival in the world ain't on, then - if they can help it - bands are gonna try not to time the release of a new record for that summer when they can't promote it at said not-happening festival.

Not sure about 2011 but aye 2013 was surely bigger.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Er, hang about Zac... is this a joke or do you actually believe the whole music world revolves around being able to play Glastonbury?

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Not sure about 2011 but aye 2013 was surely bigger.

2011 looks great now but that's when R+L went from selling out on hours to not selling out at all and flogging tickets on Viagogo didn't it?

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Er, hang about Zac... is this a joke or do you actually believe the whole music world revolves around being able to play Glastonbury?

Obvs I'm exaggerating to make my point, nobody is going to put their career on hold for a year just for a 45 minute festival slot almost-nobody outside said fest's attendees will be aware of. But, particularly for British acts who might not be booked by Coachella or whatever, you're losing a big old launchpad opportunity if your album release falls in or just before a fallow year, so you're gonna be (however slightly) better off if you can manage to push it forward by six months-ish to ensure it doesn't.

Edited by Zac Quinn

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

2011 looks great now but that's when R+L went from selling out on hours to not selling out at all and flogging tickets on Viagogo didn't it?

Yeah was my first one and I remember being panicky as hell when I couldn't get through for tickets and then it didn't even sell out for ages (if it did at all?). Ended up getting a Muse day ticket as an afterthought around a week later, I think.

13 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Obvs I'm exaggerating to make my point, nobody is going to put their career on hold for a year just for a 45 minute festival slot almost-nobody outside said fest's attendees will witness. But, particularly for British acts who might not be booked by Coachella or whatever, you're losing a big old launchpad opportunity if your album release falls in or just before a fallow year, so you're gonna be however slightly better off if it doesn't.

Ah that's good then, but I dunno. 2013 at Glasto was heaving with acts who'd released albums in 2012. And looking at Reading 2012 it had the likes of Two Door, Vaccines, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Maccabees, The Cribs etc. were all decent-sized British bands at that point. edit: Oh and Flo didn't play Glasto 2011 so she'd have been back on Ceremonials wouldn't she? Kasabian woulda definitely been stepping up to headline a potential Glasto that year n' all.

Other than possibly gearing the line up a little to scoop up disenfranchised Glasto-goers or perhaps seize the uncertainty around certain mid-sized fests; I can't see massive changes. Bands are still gonna tour around that area of June because of the other major European festivals so aren't gonna be about for Reading and Leeds and will perhaps just do their own shows instead (as looks to be the case w/ Queens). It will of course benefit from not having to be compared to that year's Glastonbury though.

Edited by dentalplan

2012 was my first full weekend. It was great. Coheed, Bullet, Angels and Airwaves, Paramore, Bombay (on A Different Kind of Fix), OFWGKTA playing a crazy set on the Main, The Cure. 19 year old me had a great time. Come to think of it, 24 year old me would have a great time with that lineup :D 

2014 was my first one and the only one I didn't leave before the end of. Was sick although they probably caught Disclosure a year late for the NME headliner gig. With the lack of special guests it ended up feeling like a vastly inferior version of their set in 2013 and they had a smaller crowd than they'd had the year before to boot. Also the booking of Jake Bugg as sub is still perplexing, regardless of the fact he was booked in similar slots elsewhere. Also Blink was a lame booking, Paramore and Queens should've both been outright headliners.. Also Macklemore should've been given a shorter set because it was one of the most awkward moments of my life when he had to play the same song twice. Was still sick though.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kasabian woulda definitely been stepping up to headline a potential Glasto that year n' all.

If Glasters had happened in 2012 and Kasabian had headlined then rather than awkwardly 'way after their peak' in 2014 then I would probably have had a Pyramid headliner in my first year. Will never forgive 'em.

11 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Looking back at 2014 now, weird that 2 of the days bar Macklemore and Vampire Weekend are pretty much entirely Kerrang/punk tings.The festivals changed so much so fast

Yeah 2014 wasn't bad line up wise for me, but it was obvious the rot was starting to set in with shit like Macklemore and Jake Bugg getting such huge slots and then 2015 was massive drop off and it's gotten worse year on year since then. I'd actually love a line up like 2014 again but oh well.

11 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Jimmy Eat World, refusing to budge an inch from their hard-fought position fourth down on Main on Friday when all the world around them is falling.

Jimmy were 5th down so are actually fighting the good fight moving up the line up. :ph34r:Or maybe its just FR are cheep hoes booking weaker line ups 

25 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Yeah 2014 wasn't bad line up wise for me, but it was obvious the rot was starting to set in with shit like Macklemore and Jake Bugg getting such huge slots and then 2015 was massive drop off and it's gotten worse year on year since then. I'd actually love a line up like 2014 again but oh well.

wouldn't have said 2015 was really that bad either, The Libertines shouldn't have headlined but the subs and thirds were worthy of taking those slots and there were plenty of sizeable bookings further down too like The Maccabees, Babymetal, RTJ, Refused, Jamie XX, Years and Years/Wolf Alice just as they were getting massive etc. And then the Foals secret set was super of-the-moment. Weaker than what had gone before, sure, but still in a different stratosphere compared to this year's shambles.

Edited by Zac Quinn