Lineup 2018

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I have no clue where to put him tho. I feel like hes gotta play next year as he blew up so much but I don't know where to place him...

Nah don't think he'll ever play R+L, unless he gets (a lot) more critically acclaimed and headlines one day.

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I thought enter subbing Kanye would be dope. Lot's of crossover in people who like both, especially as I would consider Enter relatively "urban" as far as metal goes.

Last time they played they were third down (maybe even fourth down depending on how you read co-headliners), and they've not got any bigger since then.

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

And I don't understand what you mean about putting Stormzy against the weakest headliner to be "dangerous". IMO his crowd would be pretty awful compared to the people who would be interested in Paramore/Royal Blood.

nah, unless he drops off massively he'd have crowds overflowing deep outside the NME against pretty much anyone.

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Think he'd get a pretty dead crowd if he performed then though. Does he really have that big of a draw to put him up against one of the headliners?

With another album, easily. Look at his Glastonbury crowd - I know that's a different festival with a different demographic, but still. 

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Don Broco 5th down main? 

Wrote them and Brand New out the wrong way around, soz :) 

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

CHVRCHES booked that low down(they'll defo be subbing next time they play)?

They subbed in 2016 and it seemed too much of a push going by the crowd, NME headliner for them next time out seems logical

15 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Paramore subbing Arctics? Catfish headlining NME (again easily sub level act)

Change Catfish to subbing the Arctics if you want, my motivation for that was getting all their gross fans away from my man Yeezy.

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The Kooks pushed down to FR (again way to small of a stage)? 

Would be fine if other acts on at the same time appealed to similar people. Reckon their so-called 'revival' will have died by then anyway.

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

Last time they played they were third down (maybe even fourth down depending on how you read co-headliners), and they've not got any bigger since then.

AM aware, would have billed them for 3rd down but looking at the sunday this year decided they could probably be bumped up to make it more realisitic

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

nah, unless he drops off massively he'd have crowds overflowing deep outside the NME against pretty much anyone. With another album, easily. Look at his Glastonbury crowd - I know that's a different festival with a different demographic, but still. 

Pretty sure as he played basically every festival this year we could quite easily see him drop off a bit more. Especially if the hip-hop crowd is split between him and the 1xtra headliner. And pumping out an album every year is a pretty tricky task, wouldn't expect to see another from him till 2019.

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

They subbed in 2016 and it seemed too much of a push going by the crowd, NME headliner for them next time out seems logical

They played 3rd down that year and the crowd was relatively decent. Plus they'll have a new album out by the next time they play and Melvin fangirls over them hard, can't see them not subbing next time they play.

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Would be fine if other acts on at the same time appealed to similar people. Reckon their so-called 'revival' will have died by then anyway.

Why would you chose to book them in a slot where their fans wouldn't turn up at that point. Just book some one else. No point in booking someone who is more expensive and could draw a large crowd and then put them in a tiny stage.

2 hours ago, suttttttt said:

I also reckon the fact that iPlayer only uploaded the 20 minutes of the set missing out No One Knows, My God is the Sun and Little Sister was down to FR. It would make sense to not show as much if they are going to headline next to leave people wanting more and making them more likely to but a ticket. That's just my take anyway! For them to cut No One Knows which is pretty much their biggest anthem seems bizarre to me if its not just a marketing ploy.

People aren't gonna make a different decision on whether or not to buy QOTSA day tickets based on whether or not they saw No One Knows on a live stream a year prior.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Queens of the Stone Age are doing their own outdoor shows next Summer.

Yes, their own headline sets at Leeds and Reading. Why anyone would think this isn't happening is beyond me. I have searched my pockets and have a button and a half cooked sweetie that I'll bet on QoTSA being R/L headliners.

44 minutes ago, coincidental plan said:

go on then

l18v2.png

Seems really realistic. I like it. 

Lets imagine that there are some lovely Lock Up/Pit headliners to match it. 

Speaking of which, Killswitch Engage have a new album on the way in 2018. They'd make an outstanding headliner for that stage. 

50 minutes ago, coincidental plan said:

go on then

l18v2.png

yeah can't fault this tbf, except maybe Slaves' position would need them to pull out something miraculous to reverse their slide into obscurity. the crowd at Main on Saturday evening would beyond rotten but I'd happily watch it on TV.

12 hours ago, devilman said:

Yes, their own headline sets at Leeds and Reading. Why anyone would think this isn't happening is beyond me. I have searched my pockets and have a button and a half cooked sweetie that I'll bet on QoTSA being R/L headliners.

Because it was said they're doing their own outdoor shows, and headlining a festival isn't doing your own outdoor shows. Dental pointed it out earlier in the thread but the way it was said definitely made it sound like they were making a distinction between that and headlining festivals.

I think that above poster is the best prediction so far. One of my only gripes is that I can't see Parkway Drive coming back. They didn't look as if they went down too well last year and I think they're overdue a high slot at Download since IRE came out so I think they will rock up there either headlining the second stage or playing third down Main. Replace them with Mastodon who have played the festival a few times before and have a new EP coming out this month (as well as Emperor of Sand which is bloody fantastic). 

In general I think it's great that the bookers are still booking some heavier bands like Parkway, Architects, WSS and Dillinger, but they can't account for the audience not giving much of a shit. It's no their fault, at least they're booking them still. It's just very obvious to me since the Metallica day in 2015 that hard rock/metal just isn't what your average punter is looking for at R&L. 

Edited by Andre91

47 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It's just very obvious to me since the Metallica day in 2015 that hard rock/metal just isn't what your average punter is looking for at R&L. 

Metallica day was the busiest that year by a mile. BUT.....whilst it's true what you are saying, if the festival goes down the route that T did in cutting rock and metal from the card altogether, it'll face the same fate.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

In general I think it's great that the bookers are still booking some heavier bands like Parkway, Architects, WSS and Dillinger, but they can't account for the audience not giving much of a shit. It's no their fault, at least they're booking them still. It's just very obvious to me since the Metallica day in 2015 that hard rock/metal just isn't what your average punter is looking for at R&L. 

I'd say it's entirely there fault the audience don't give a shit, because they dictate the audience that comes by the bands that they book. If they only book 2 main stage metal bands in a year, course there won't be floods of metalheads running in

For main stage metal 2018, I'll go for Mastodon, Bullet, and ADTR though they don't really count

would it be too ridiculous to suggest having all 3 of Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters and Drake as headliners? seems ridiculously strong but they did well with this years main stage headliners tbf. I reckon it's a possibility if they book them with weaker subs.

8 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

would it be too ridiculous to suggest having all 3 of Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters and Drake as headliners? seems ridiculously strong but they did well with this years main stage headliners tbf. I reckon it's a possibility if they book them with weaker subs.

What would be the point in booking all 3 though? They'd do better leaving someone (Foos) till 2019, especially as there is no Glasto next year

Edited by Mattymooz

10 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Booking mega-headliners without backing it up with a decent undercard is exactly how to kill a festival, you don't build loyalty in people to get them to come back year after year by actively encouraging them to stay in the campsite until 9:30pm. It didn't even do particularly well this year and those three headliners you've proposed would leave a lot less in the piggybank for the rest of the bill than Kasabian and Muse did. You'd end up with Miles Kane subbing or something. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

What would be the point in booking all 3 though? They'd do better leaving someone (Foos) till 2019, especially as there is no Glasto next year

The point would be what with no Glastonbury it'd be a great opportunity to rake in all the people looking for a festival to go to, and what better way than with three mega headliners. But it won't work out that way, and in 2012 both Kasabian and The Cure were hardly huge headliners so I'd assume at least one of next years will be your average new act being bumped up, like Royal Blood. And as Zac has said, the last thing they need to do is damage the undercard moreso.