Lineup 2018

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Arctics said recently that new music should be out by the end of the year so there should be an album by then.

One of the NME headliners next year has to be dnb at this point, just depends whether it will be Pendulum or Chase & Status.

Yeah I mean it wasn't like an official statement which is why I said "probably" but it does look very likely there will be new AM by then!

Drake is a good shout, Kendrick could be another one if they go Hip-Hop again because of the Eminem success. Was also thinking Arcade Fire could be a possibility. System Of A Down could pop up somewhere?

TBH with no Glasto around there are many possible headliners around next year. Off the top of my head we have:

- Foos
- BMTH
- Royal Blood
- QOTSA
- Arctics
- Catfish
- Arcade Fire
- The Killers
- Florence + The Machine
- Paramore
- Foals
- Imagine Dragons
- 21 Pilots
- MCR (if they get back together)
- Green Day?
- Drake
- Kanye
- Jay Z
- Kendrick Lamar
- Gorillaz
- Calvin Harris (tho would be more likely for V)
- Ed Sheeran (again more likely for V)

40 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I noticed that they were absolutely hammering Alien Ant Farm on the PA at the Main Stage this year so I agree with Dental that they could play low Main next year. 

At Glastonbury they had AAF - Smooth Criminal on right as Father John Misty was doing the final touches and his orchestra were setting up. Pretty surreal.

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

21P and Stormzy are probably fine just not my cup of tea. Probs would have played J Hus as 3rd down on the NME but not on the same day as Stormzy imo. Was more looking at stuff like Amazons on 5th. That's gotta be the bigger leap than Blossoms did last year when they had a lot more mainstream success...

Maybe overegging Amazons there, yeah, but they won't be that much lower than that. Also I think after a sold out academy tour, J Hus could probably headline NME next time out unless people forget all about him, so him subbing makes up for uncertainty around how Jungle finally returning will be received.

39 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH with no Glasto around there are many possible headliners around next year. Off the top of my head we have:

- Foos  very likely
- BMTH  possible
- Royal Blood very likely for co headline or undercard
- QOTSA very likely
- Arctics Quite Likely
- Catfish possible to co headline or undercard
- Arcade Fire not likely
- The Killers Possible but will probably do IOW of V
- Florence + The Machine  not likely
- Paramore Quite likely
- Foals not for next year
- Imagine Dragons i I bloody hope not
- 21 Pilots 2019 potential headliner 
- MCR (if they get back together) can't see it happening too soon if ever
- Green Day? Possible 
- Drake Possible 
- Kanye Possible 
- Jay Z not likely
- Kendrick Lamar Possible 
- Gorillaz  Not Likely
- Calvin Harris (tho would be more likely for V)
- Ed Sheeran (again more likely for V)

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don't think it's too soon for MCR at all. They've haven't been to the UK since 2011. Seven years is plenty. However, I would expect Download to go for them for sure if they were around. 

I meant in terms of a reunion really, but if they were around i'm sure download or reading would snap them up asap.

Unless there's rumblings of new music from TOP they won't be touring next year, the tour dates for Blurryface are all done. Is their turnaround usually quick ? If not it's 2019 for them me thinks.

Will Catfish still be touring next summer as well, I think not. 

I also think Foo's will play Download

Chainsmokers subbing is a horrible idea, especially if they stick Drake on afterwards haha just imagine that crowd.

However I am starting to think Drake is very likely I know FR like him, he's obviously massive, Hip-Hop day sold dead well this year. Come to think about it, Major Lazer were on before Eminem, maybe they will repeat that formula and have the Chainsmokers as support...

10 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Chainsmokers subbing is a horrible idea, especially if they stick Drake on afterwards haha just imagine that crowd.

However I am starting to think Drake is very likely I know FR like him, he's obviously massive, Hip-Hop day sold dead well this year. Come to think about it, Major Lazer were on before Eminem, maybe they will repeat that formula and have the Chainsmokers as support...

No different to Major Lazer into Eminem. The crowd will be no different to any main stage crowd at R&L these days. 

Also, I don't want to be disrespectful or sexist or anything and really I actually tend to lean towards bands with female vocalists quite a lot but I was just reading the NME article about next year's festival, all the sections have subheadlines like where is it being held, how to get tickets etc, but then it's like will there be more women on the lineup? My question is who? Like seriously who?

All I can see is Florence And The Machine (who I don't know if she's touring or not) or The XX (which would surely have to be on a co-headline). The most likely it seems for me would be Paramore, which I admit is a genuine possibility, but think of those three compared to the amount of male-fronted bands and artists who are in the frame! Sure, bands like CHVRCHES and Wolf Alice are sub-level and really great bands too (I can't wait for the day WA headline, genuinely becoming one of my favourite ever bands), and then there's the likes of HAIM who can command a sort of third down type position, but there is such little options in the way of big female fronted bands and artists. Or rather, there isn't, there just is when it comes to R&L, because Beyonce and Rihanna aren't going to come and headline Reading are they? And thank fuck for that. 

Now, I'd really want to see the following bands on the bill next year, even though some of them only just played and that, but they're great female acts that are suited to R&L:

Marmozets, The Pretty Reckless, The Big Moon, Estrons, Let's Eats Grandma, Grimes, Halestorm, Tonight Alive, Honeyblood, Black Honey (especially them!), Daughter, Savages etc. None of them are getting a high slot. London Grammar maybe (not my thing though), and Clean Bandit as NME potential. Acts like Dua Lips, Anne-Marie, Charli XCX could have high slots on smaller stages.

A real wildcard would be Lana Del Rey as a sub, I think she's great and she'd probably go down well, especially before Drake or Kendrick perhaps (or The Weeknd if he's a possible headliner), and I think Evanescence would be a cool booking.

Sorry for the long post, it just confuses me how people don't get that women not playing high up these lineups isn't a sexist thing, it's just that festivals are typically for rock music (traditionally, and even if it's changing Reading is still mostly rock) and that's a genre that men tend to dominate. Pop music is often led by women, but most festivals aren't pop festivals!

Edited by thelemon
  • Upvote 3

Just now, swede said:

Will Catfish still be touring next summer as well, I think not. 

Pretty sure that they said new album early next year didn't they? As FR love them i don't see why not...

Just now, stevieg1993 said:

Think if Drake headlines can see a DJ subbing, Chainsmokers or Rudimental 

Rudimental are nowhere near the same size as Chainsmokers or Major Lazer......

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

No different to Major Lazer into Eminem. The crowd will be no different to any main stage crowd at R&L these days. 

Maybe. Em is a bit more of a rock/alternative act than Drake, popular with the old Reading style of emo/scene kids, plus a nostalgia act. Look at it this way, I go into an indie club tonight, Eminem is likely to be played, Drake isn't. Major Lazer and Chainsmokers much more comparable, but the headliner is a bigger influence on the type of crowd.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Pretty sure that they said new album early next year didn't they? As FR love them i don't see why not...

Rudimental are nowhere near the same size as Chainsmokers or Major Lazer......

Rudimental have sold out the 02 Arena and other large venues. Just about release new album as well. Depending on how well it's received can see them at least sub-headlining as they've headlined smaller festivals.

Just now, stevieg1993 said:

Rudimental have sold out the 02 Arena and other large venues. Just about release new album as well. Depending on how well it's received can see them at least sub-headlining as they've headlined smaller festivals.

Still think they won't get any bigger than NME headliner (personally would place them at NME sub). Chase & Status, Pendulum and Prodigy would all be larger, more suitable acts...