Lineup 2018

I'm guessing Queens doing big outdoor gigs would mean no festivals? Don't think they're big enough to pull off both. Saying that I'm now going to start a theory that the reason they're doing a small venue in Edinburgh and not Glasgow is because they're booked for TRNSMT.

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm guessing Queens doing big outdoor gigs would mean no festivals? Don't think they're big enough to pull off both. Saying that I'm now going to start a theory that the reason they're doing a small venue in Edinburgh and not Glasgow is because they're booked for TRNSMT.

I was thinking the same. Most here have been touting them at download

Hmm. I didn't really take the Queens info in when skimmed through the article, assuming the open air comments were hinting at European dates, but it does seem to be referring to the UK specifically. Where would an outdoor gig even be? BST is an AEG event isn't it? I'm guessing that's Download out the window, unless that fest is the open air show the article refers to, and it's just been phrased a little loosely. Either way, more Queens next year. Good. 

17 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I was actually thinking that a few weeks ago but obviously headlining TRNSMT woulda been a big call. Too big of one for me. :P Does TRNSMT come under Live Nation's remit though? I can't see them celebrating QOTSA's ascendancy if they're not putting these shows on. No idea where they'll end up in England though but it should be a good one.

Edited by dentalplan

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I was actually thinking that a few weeks ago but obviously headlining TRNSMT woulda been a big call. Too big of one for me. :P Does TRNSMT come under Live Nation's remit though? I can't see them celebrating QOTSA's ascendancy if they're not putting these shows on. No idea where they'll end up in England though but it should be a good one.

I'm not too sure, it's certainly DF concerts who promote it but they are owned by Live Nation, though I'm unsure how much of an influence there is there. The Edinburgh gig is being promoted by Triple G if that's anything to go by. If it were to happen a QOTSA/Royal Blood double bill would probably do pretty well. 

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm not too sure, it's certainly DF concerts who promote it but they are owned by Live Nation, though I'm unsure how much of an influence there is there. The Edinburgh gig is being promoted by Triple G if that's anything to go by. If it were to happen a QOTSA/Royal Blood double bill would probably do pretty well. 

I see. Yeah TRNSMT probably would come under that banner then.

A Queens/Royal Blood double header would work I'm sure but it'd be a bit strange for them to talk about headlining their own open air shows when they're actually there with a band who are a household name and sell more albums and gig tickets, with a sold out Glasgow show in tow. Maybe given a boost by a decent name (step forward, The Nine Inch Nails) but Royal Blood would gatecrash the whole thing.

THE KILLERS, Wolf Alice, Vampire Weekend, Neck Deep, Don Broco, J Hus, The Amazons, Dua Lipa, Black Foxxes
Future, Slaves

KANYE WEST, Tame Impala, Travis Scott, Brand New, Creeper, Logic, Marmozets, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Honeyblood
CHVRCHES, All Time Low

ROYAL BLOOD, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Tyler, The Creator, Cage The Elephant, Nothing But Thieves, Peace, Fickle Friends, Basement, Black Honey
Jamie xx, Anderson .Paak

King Giz for some glorious FR headliner & early-Main / mid-NME double duty next time they're booked. 

Edited by JSmurphy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, devilman said:

I'd put your money on the QoTSA open air thing being Ramblin Man. They just announced it for 30 jun next year. i suppose they could do TRNSMT too but can't see it. Would love to be wrong.

Queens of the Stone Age aren't playing Ramblin' Man Fair. Maybe in thirty years time but not at what might be their peak!

If the guy says open air shows then I'd expect just that rather than festivals. Obviously stuff like TRNSMT is a bit harder to describe as it doesn't have much identity as a fest yet and most people go as fans of the headline act but yeah in general I'd not expect to see them headline festivals here next year.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Queens of the Stone Age aren't playing Ramblin' Man Fair. Maybe in thirty years time but not at what might be their peak!

You haven't been have you? Yes there are a lot of old beardies but there are youngsters too. If Devin Townsend can headline a stage and the likes of Black Stone Cherry then so can QoTSA. They are way more likely there than at TRNSMT where most of the clientele this year would never have heard of them. I can't see they'll do their own outdoor shows.

18 minutes ago, devilman said:

You haven't been have you? Yes there are a lot of old beardies but there are youngsters too. If Devin Townsend can headline a stage and the likes of Black Stone Cherry then so can QoTSA. They are way more likely there than at TRNSMT where most of the clientele this year would never have heard of them. I can't see they'll do their own outdoor shows.

Except that QOTSA are a significantly bigger act than either of Devin or BSC. 

23 minutes ago, devilman said:

No I've not been, but I'm not saying anything about the clientele or the style of music there. Devin Townsend and Black Stone Cherry can play, yeah, but they can't sell out the O2 Arena or standing at Manchester and Wembley Arenas in a morning. Those are venues with a capacity larger than the Ramblin' Man attendance. It sounds like you'd be surprised how big a crossover Queens stand to have with the likes of Biffy and Kasabian but there you go - they're a huge mainstream rock band now, for better or worse.

Edited by dentalplan

37 minutes ago, devilman said:

And the Scorpions play to bigger audiences than them but they headlined RMF. RMF have changed their date by 4 weeks for someone. It won't be someone small. Guess we'll just have to wait and see eh? :)

Not in the UK Scorpions don't. Hence why they headline RMF and not major festivals in this country. 

Had a shuffle around. Taken some people out, added a few in: 

Royal Blood (co-headline) / Twenty One Pilots (co-headline) / Wolf Alice / Tyler, The Creator / Twin Atlantic / Death From Above

Future / Anderson .Paak 

Kanye West / Boy Better Know / Panic! at the Disco / Don Broco / Nothing But Thieves / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes 

The Kooks / Jungle 

The Killers / Catfish and the Bottlemen / Vampire Weekend / Phoenix / Deaf Havana / DMA's 

All Time Low / Jack Garratt 

Edited by Andre91

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Not in the UK Scorpions don't. Hence why they headline RMF and not major festivals in this country. 

Scorpions headline all over the world and if/when they do ever play here again it'll be sold out arenas or even bigger. I'm not quite sure how RMF managed to afford them, must have been a loss leader kind of thing for their inaugural festival because they certainly don't need to come play small festivals. Will be interested to see how this pans out as I quite like QotSA but have yet to see them despite them being at festivals I've been at a few times.

25 minutes ago, devilman said:

Scorpions headline all over the world and if/when they do ever play here again it'll be sold out arenas or even bigger. I'm not quite sure how RMF managed to afford them, must have been a loss leader kind of thing for their inaugural festival because they certainly don't need to come play small festivals. Will be interested to see how this pans out as I quite like QotSA but have yet to see them despite them being at festivals I've been at a few times.

Or even bigger? 

Isn't it quite well reported that they got offered a second stage headline slot at Download only a couple of years ago but turned it down as they thought it was beneath them and that they should be headlining the Main Stage? Andy (rightfully) declined as he knows and everyone else knows that they aren't as big in the UK as they are in mainland Europe. 

QOTSA are most definitely the bigger band here.