Lineup 2018

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

IMO that doesn't even sound like they are going commercial, that just sounds like they are moving with the times. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Pet Shop Boys etc. were all massive like 20 years ago but nowadays they have fallen loads and kind of rely on the nostalgia factor for most festival goers. It sounds like really what you are looking for is just a festival with lots of older acts in it, which I doubt has that large of an audience....

I wouldn't say commercial's the right word since of course a festival will have commercial interests, but there really isn't a suitable festival for 20-30 year old fans of alternative music in the UK. Glastos too mainstream, as are IOW (which seems to target 50 year olds) and T, so booking acts which appeal to that audience (yes like chems and the prodigy) would sort it out. Anyway nostalgia sells, why d'you think Eminems selling out day tickets?

Also it wouldn't be entirely old bands, someone like say The XX, Tame Impala, or even hip-hop like RTJ, Death Grips etc would be welcome

Edited by Steve1000

Just now, Steve1000 said:

I wouldn't say commercial's the right word since of course a festival will have commercial interests, but there really isn't a suitable festival for 20-30 year old fans of alternative music in the UK. Glastos too mainstream, as are IOW (which seems to target 50 year olds) and T, so booking acts which appeal to that audience (yes like chems and the prodigy) would sort it out. Anyway nostalgia sells, why d'you think Eminems selling out day tickets? 

Glastonbury is as mainstream as you want it to be. Although if you want to spend all weekend at the Park it's a hefty price tag.

3 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Glastonbury is as mainstream as you want it to be. Although if you want to spend all weekend at the Park it's a hefty price tag.

Fairs but the high slots generally are mainstream, and they don't touch metal, punk etc enough. Also it's not accessible enough as you can't decide based on the lineup if you want a ticket

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Fairs but the high slots generally are mainstream, and they don't touch metal, punk etc enough. Also it's not accessible enough as you can't decide based on the lineup if you want a ticket

One of Reading's main selling points for me was the lock up stage, but since Mike Davies left, it's got shit as well. 

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Also the more mainstream acts it books, the worse the crowd gets. 

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah it's not the place for metal and punk. But I reckon Radiohead, The xx and The National taking up 3 of the big 6 slots is a decent effort in terms of alternative music. They could probably all headline Primavera (I feel like the first two have recently but cba looking it up).

9 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah it's not the place for metal and punk. But I reckon Radiohead, The xx and The National taking up 3 of the big 6 slots is a decent effort in terms of alternative music. They could probably all headline Primavera (I feel like the first two have recently but cba looking it up).

Yeah I guess so, I'll take that back

I do think that Glasto could have metal and punk in prominent positions and it would go down well, though. That's the thing that annoys me the most about it, why they almost completely ignore what are still majorly pipular and important genres, just because they're slightly abrasive. The fans are there, and if you don't like it watch something else

Edited by Steve1000

Just now, battleborn said:

Earache Express and John Peel had some metal/punk acts this year and they seemed to get good reactions.

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes managed to win over virtually an entire crowd of Killers fans with one hell of a performance. 

So Glastonbury might book some more metal/punk acts in future years. 

Yeah I've got my fingers crossed, if it improves I may finally lose my Glasto virginity 

Just now, battleborn said:

Earache Express and John Peel had some metal/punk acts this year and they seemed to get good reactions.

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes managed to win over virtually an entire crowd of Killers fans with one hell of a performance. 

So Glastonbury might book some more metal/punk acts in future years. 

Yeah there's the odd exception. Frank Carter bossed it. 

4 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Also it wouldn't be entirely old bands, someone like say The XX, Tame Impala, or even hip-hop like RTJ, Death Grips etc would be welcome

Large ones, no but are quite a few smaller ones. 2000 Trees and Truck Festival come to mind straight away. I love Trees, nice little festival and gets a great line up of up and coming bands in my opinion ,though I will agree that the headliners this year are a bit trash apart from Frank Carter though last year they got Refused and The Bronx and Slaves will be fun when drunk and I'm planning on seeing Beach Slang and Kevin Devine over the others so that shall not be that bad. I've only ever heard good things about Truck as well though I've never been. Hevy Fest had great line ups before it got canned last year though it seems as if ArcTanGent has started to pick up some of those acts instead (along with their Math and Progressive music).

4 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

One of Reading's main selling points for me was the lock up stage, but since Mike Davies left, it's got shit as well. 

The last Lock Up stage he did in 2014 is probably my favourite line up for any stage for any festival and it was a shame that it was his last. I mean Daniel P Carter has done a decent job with the Pit as he gets some great bookings as he got Refused, Mastodon and Dillinger since he took over the two days. The guy who replaced Mike (can't remember his name) has done an alright job too, I mean some strange booking and some solid ones and this year it is the best stage (though most of the acts aren't really the type of things Mike would have gotten)

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

How bout Jay-Z?

Jay-Z at R&L this year, V with Eminem :(

Pendulum are a NME headliner now too. I suspect a tour is coming next year but how big that'll be, who knows. Maybe a Brixton date or two, but subbing isn't happening I don't think. 

Bring back Queens of the Stone Age.

Catfish will sub I think but that option is possible.

I think but I think both are closer to subbing for me atm. 

Paramore, BMTH, FF

Catfish, Royal Blood, TOP as subs.

The issue with that would be your undercaed will suffer to shit. Download taking BMTH and a co-headline with one or both of the 1st two subs said maybe. 

3 hours ago, AdamJansson88 said:

I saw Catfish and the bottlemen last night and they were great, think a co headline of them and royal Blood would be really good

Same and couldn't agree more. Never been to an arena gig where every single person knew every word of every song, was incredibly loud and their stage presence was something else. Could easily see them dominating the main stage at R+L whether that be co- headline, sub or 3rd down, couldn't really see much lower after that performance.

16 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Same and couldn't agree more. Never been to an arena gig where every single person knew every word of every song, was incredibly loud and their stage presence was something else. Could easily see them dominating the main stage at R+L whether that be co- headline, sub or 3rd down, couldn't really see much lower after that performance.

It was incredible that they didn't only sell out standing in five minutes but seats as well, they are incredibly popular right now and every time I've seen them they smash it, starting to justify a high slot.

59 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

It was incredible that they didn't only sell out standing in five minutes but seats as well, they are incredibly popular right now and every time I've seen them they smash it, starting to justify a high slot.

Very dedicated fan base and would no doubt draw a massive crowd if they played.

1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

They won't be below sub, there is no chance! people who don't like them should be lucky to see them only as a sub.

21 hours ago, AdamJansson88 said:

I saw Catfish and the bottlemen last night and they were great, think a co headline of them and royal Blood would be really good

TBH I saw them last night at Community and kinda thought the opposite. They didn't seem to have enough music to fill the 1hr 15min slot that they had (so definitely couldn't fill the longer reading headline slot unless they release a new album first at least), with numerous pauses of either just repeating the same loop over and over again or just gaps of silence. They started off really strongly with the first couple of songs going down really well but that energy died down quickly. I'm not the biggest fan of Catfish but imo it was because their songs all sound so samey (I swear to god they repeated a couple of songs last night). They do have potential though, whoever their frontman is obviously knows how to control a crowd, they just need a wider (and imo a more varied) discography.

However, I do agree about the dedicated fanbase - about half the crowd obviously new every word and were loving it, but everyone else by the end of it looked just pretty done. It was especially noticable imo as Wombats were before and everyone was singing along to stuff like Joy Division and Moving To New York.

27 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH I saw them last night at Community and kinda thought the opposite. They didn't seem to have enough music to fill the 1hr 15min slot that they had (so definitely couldn't fill the longer reading headline slot unless they release a new album first at least), with numerous pauses of either just repeating the same loop over and over again or just gaps of silence. They started off really strongly with the first couple of songs going down really well but that energy died down quickly. I'm not the biggest fan of Catfish but imo it was because their songs all sound so samey (I swear to god they repeated a couple of songs last night). They do have potential though, whoever their frontman is obviously knows how to control a crowd, they just need a wider (and imo a more varied) discography.

However, I do agree about the dedicated fanbase - about half the crowd obviously new every word and were loving it, but everyone else by the end of it looked just pretty done. It was especially noticable imo as Wombats were before and everyone was singing along to stuff like Joy Division and Moving To New York.

I saw their set at T in the park in 2015 and the crowd was mad and i've seen places they've performed  like big weekend and community and the whole vibe of the crowd seemed different. I feel the bigger the festival the better reception they get but can't be 100% sure that that's the case. 

Van McCann is insane his Alex Turner esc hip movements and just the way he moves round the stage gets the crowd pumped, really impressive stage presence.

12 minutes ago, ollieg99 said:

Bit of a festival noob here but didn't KOL throw a bit of a strop onstage back 2009? Would they really be booked again after that?

I don't think stuff like that would stop bands being rebooked - I'm sure the festival cares more about shifting tickets than a band having a little hissy fit a few years ago. That said, I don't see KOL being booked any time soon either. New material isn't exactly lighting the world on fire and it'd be a bit of a shit headliner (especially next year almost two years after the album was released).