Lineup 2018

Comparing Biffy to The Offspring and Lostprophets when they've been selling out arenas for the past five years and had three #1 albums on the bounce :lol: I find it embarrassing how some people are still trying to debate whether Biffy are a headline worthy band. Laughable, even. 

And there's less than zero chance that Pulp would play R&L again, let alone headlining. Completely irrelevant to the audience now. 

Edited by Andre91

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Comparing Biffy to The Offspring and Lostprophets when they've been selling out arenas for the past five years and had three #1 albums on the bounce :lol: I find it embarrassing how some people are still trying to debate whether Biffy are a headline worthy band. Laughable, even. 

And there's less than zero chance that Pulp would play R&L again, let alone headlining. Completely irrelevant to the audience now. 

You get my drift.

For the record, I do think that Biffy are a headline sized band, but was simply pointing out that they still aren't headlining all the festivals, like Glastonbury.

Maybe Foals would have been a better comparison, but then they'll no doubt be properly headlining festivals with their next album.

And I don't know how a band who were in their prime in the '90s were relevant to the audience in 2011 but no longer so six years later. :P

7 hours ago, VCK said:

You get my drift.

For the record, I do think that Biffy are a headline sized band, but was simply pointing out that they still aren't headlining all the festivals, like Glastonbury.

Maybe Foals would have been a better comparison, but then they'll no doubt be properly headlining festivals with their next album.

And I don't know how a band who were in their prime in the '90s were relevant to the audience in 2011 but no longer so six years later. :P

Just look how the lineups have changed in that time. The same way that Elbow, Interpol or The National aren't relevant to the audience anymore. Six years is a long time. I highly doubt that there are many punters still attending R&L in 2017 that were there in 2011. 

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Just look how the lineups have changed in that time. The same way that Elbow, Interpol or The National aren't relevant to the audience anymore. Six years is a long time. I highly doubt that there are many punters still attending R&L in 2017 that were there in 2011. 

Pulp are a bigger name than those bands though, and way more acclaimed. It's not as if the younger crowd has never heard Common People or Disco 2000, plus if they reform again there will no doubt be a fair bit of hype generated which would turn a few curious youngsters onto their music.

They're no less relevant to the current crowd than Metallica or RHCP are.

5 minutes ago, VCK said:

Pulp are a bigger name than those bands though, and way more acclaimed. It's not as if the younger crowd has never heard Common People or Disco 2000, plus if they reform again there will no doubt be a fair bit of hype generated which would turn a few curious youngsters onto their music.

Deffo not chillis. Pulp were never nearly as big as those bands

1 hour ago, VCK said:

No way. You really think that the average 16-18 year old has even heard of Pulp? They would be a terrible, wasted booking. 

Metallica and RHCP are legendary bands the world over, Pulp are not and were never close to the size of those two bands. 

Then again, don't you always think that The Manics would be a good booking, too :lol: ? 

Edited by Andre91

19 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Agreed, I'm pretty sure at this point that if Paramore is one day and RB is either headlining or co-headlining the next day then the other slot is for either Arctics, Foos or Killers. 

well yeah it'd have to be. Don't see both Paramore and Royal Blood headlining outright though, day tickets would do alright but weekend tickets would really struggle.

39 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

No way. You really think that the average 16-18 year old has even heard of Pulp? They would be a terrible, wasted booking. 

Metallica and RHCP are legendary bands the world over, Pulp are not and were never close to the size of those two bands. 

Then again, don't you always think that The Manics would be a good booking, too :lol: ? 

Of course they have. Go to any Indie night anywhere in the country on a Saturday night and see if Common People doesn't get played. You seem to have this idea that your average teenager is completely oblivious to any music that existed before the year 2000.

Yes, RHCP and Metallica are legendary bands the world over, that is neither here nor there as UK festivals decide their headliners based on success within the UK, as is the case in any other country. That's why LCD Soundsystem headlined Coachella last year but would be nowhere near headliner status at Reading and Leeds. There have been plenty of huge British bands that are practically unheard of outside of the country. Case in point being The Stone Roses. Indeed, Pulp are a another example.

I don't see what your point is about the Manics. They'd be no less of a good booking than Ash or Feeder have been in recent years, but you're simply veering off topic to try and score some points.

Edited by VCK

48 minutes ago, VCK said:

Of course they have. Go to any Indie night anywhere in the country on a Saturday night and see if Common People doesn't get played. You seem to have this idea that your average teenager is completely oblivious to any music that existed before the year 2000.

Yes, RHCP and Metallica are legendary bands the world over, that is neither here nor there as UK festivals decide their headliners based on success within the UK, as is the case in any other country. That's why LCD Soundsystem headlined Coachella last year but would be nowhere near headliner status at Reading and Leeds. There have been plenty of huge British bands that are practically unheard of outside of the country. Case in point being The Stone Roses. Indeed, Pulp are a another example.

I don't see what your point is about the Manics. They'd be no less of a good booking than Ash or Feeder have been in recent years, but you're simply veering off topic to try and score some points.

The Stone Roses headlined Coachella. Also chillis and Metallica are much bigger in the UK than pulp,  so your average teenager is much more likely to know them. 

Edited by Steve1000

6 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

The Stone Roses headlined Coachella. Also chillis and Metallica are much bigger in the UK than pulp,  so your average teenager is much more likely to know them. 

They only subbed didn't they? And even so there was a whole Tumblr page full of tonnes of screenshots of people saying that they had no idea who they were.

Crowd looked pretty dead too:

27 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

Vampire weekend good shout 

Snow patrol are on there way back 

And I have a feeling cage the elephant or kodaline

Not sure if you're suggesting headliners but if you are:

VW are on the way down, they peaked a long time ago and i don't think theyll ever reach their pre 2010 stature ever again.  

Snow Patrol would be a bit out the blue scene as they havent played anywhere since 2013 and idk if anyone really cares anymore and would be very hit with the crowd imo.

CTE no way they played 3rd down on NME in 2016 and kodaline would be possible with a new album but i honestly doubt it

Edited by MIchael_scarn
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, mttJ said:

Royal Blood sounding class at Glastonbury right now. Will be such a good set if they get to (co)headline.

Agreed they are sounding amazing! Crowd looks massive aswell. Think it will be a great booking getting them to co headline 2018

26 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

After watching some of these videos coming from The Killers' secret set at Glasto I actually really hope it's them next year...

I was just about to say the same thing. They might be ever so slightly too old for the younger generation but even so, EVERYBODY knows Mr Brightside, and basically everyone knows Human and Somebody Told Me. If they did good promotion for their new album they could easily headline and draw a massive crowd, especially with their BST Hyde Park show selling out instantly. They are such a festival band.

The Killers/Royal Blood/Kendrick?

The reaction to Mr Brightside at Glastonbury is big enough to headline a festival itself tbh.

Edited by oscs

3 minutes ago, oscs said:

I was just about to say the same thing. They might be ever so slightly too old for the younger generation but even so, EVERYBODY knows Mr Brightside, and basically everyone knows Human and Somebody Told Me. If they did good promotion for their new album they could easily headline and draw a massive crowd, especially with their BST Hyde Park show selling out instantly. They are such a festival band.

The Killers/Royal Blood/Kendrick?

The reaction to Mr Brightside at Glastonbury is big enough to headline a festival itself tbh.

I think they appeal to younger people way more than RHCP do (especially Hot Fuss songs, heck Mr Brightside is still in the top 100 charts). I think it kinda depends on the reception of their new music, which so far has been relatively positive AFAIK but I haven't really heard much of the new song on the radio at all.

Even so, just looking at their reception at Glasto is very promising for them