Lineup 2018

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Has anyone listened to the new alt-j album? It's kinda trashy...... There's no way they're getting bumped up to coheadline with this (and they were who I was betting on if Royal Blood are gonna coheadline).

It's not trashy imo. It might not appeal to as wide an audience as some of there previous hits (some of which aren't even their best songs imo) but I love how chilled it is. That's when Alt J are at there best. A unique band that almost define a genre of their own. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, CRW5252 said:

It's not trashy imo. It might not appeal to as wide an audience as some of there previous hits (some of which aren't even their best songs imo) but I love how chilled it is. That's when Alt J are at there best. A unique band that almost define a genre of their own. 

Maybe trashy ain't the right word, it just felt like it was kinda full of filler, nothing too memorable.

20 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Problem is at Reading, when I watched it back on iplayer, there was no flares, no rowdiness, no jumping up at down- meanwhile at Leeds on the Sunday, it was a party of colour and smoke. And it's not just one or two decent tunes- Not Nineteen Forever is a classic Manc anthem, What took you so Long and Are You in Love with a Notion are blazing indie tunes, and Small Bones is a beautiful brass-backed song. I'm just scratching the surface here. 

People always say 'The only reason they got big is because they are from Manchester'- Bands put in the hard graft to get famous up here. Elbow released four fantastic records before breaking out with the Seldom Seen Kid, Everything Everything are on their third album, massively underappreciated but still only playing the NME third. Cabbage are the next big thing here and they revel in post-punk Marxist euphoria. So no, the only reason they have got big is not because they are from Manchester. One reason they got big was because they wrote anthems that defined a generation lacking a Stone Roses or an Oasis. Another reason they got big was because they appealed to Northern people with tunes embracing the North, such as Fallowfield Hillbilly. And finally, they got big because they, in a live atmosphere up north, bring a party and lift the spirits, as they did on Saturday at the cricket ground. 

are you Liam Fray?

• Upvote 1

You know CHVRCHES is just CHURCHES with a V instead of the U right? :P

I think circumstances will keep BMTH and The 1975 out of headline slots for next year and CHVRCHES are still a long way off headlining a major festival. Not on a par with Royal Blood by any metric, and I don't reckon Royal Blood are that poor a headliner that they'll just stick anyone on as a headliner as well - I think they'll only coheadline if they get someone else who should be a headliner too and will agree to share duties.

The more I think about it the less I think Royal Blood are gonna solo headline. I have no clue who else to put there (agreed BMTH should headline Download next year, 1975 will be 2019, CHVRCHES will at least be 2019 - Melvin said he wants to push them into the headline spot but tbh I'm not sure they'll be ready this next album cycle, but if they are itll be 2019).

Who even are the other options anymore? Catfish maybe at a pinch? Maybe Chance the rapper just about? their aint many coheadline level people about this year that I can think of.

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The more I think about it the less I think Royal Blood are gonna solo headline. I have no clue who else to put there (agreed BMTH should headline Download next year, 1975 will be 2019, CHVRCHES will at least be 2019 - Melvin said he wants to push them into the headline spot but tbh I'm not sure they'll be ready this next album cycle, but if they are itll be 2019).

Who even are the other options anymore? Catfish maybe at a pinch? Maybe Chance the rapper just about? their aint many coheadline level people about this year that I can think of.

Alt J, the XX, Imagine Dragons, System of a Down are a few potentials off the top of my head. Although they all seem unlikely. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, CRW5252 said:

Alt J, the XX, Imagine Dragons, System of a Down are a few potentials off the top of my head. Although they all seem unlikely. 

I've pegged alt-J as subbing for next year I think. Don't think that last album was good enough. Maybe Imagine Dragons it kind of depends how their new album does, tbh it just has to perform better than their last album and they're probably in with a chance. The XX could do it but I don't think they've ever played Reading sooooo :L SOAD are definitely a good suggestion though (though SOAD and Royal Blood is quite a heavy set of coheadliners)

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I've pegged alt-J as subbing for next year I think. Don't think that last album was good enough. Maybe Imagine Dragons it kind of depends how their new album does, tbh it just has to perform better than their last album and they're probably in with a chance. The XX could do it but I don't think they've ever played Reading sooooo :L SOAD are definitely a good suggestion though (though SOAD and Royal Blood is quite a heavy set of coheadliners)

Thats the point, why it would be good

Hmm. I reckon a lot depends on Download with BMTH. If the fest can book something like Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica and Ozzy I wouldn't be surprised if BMTH followed Biffy in co-headlining R&L then headlining Download in successive years.  

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

alt-J aren't reaching headline status on the back of this new album. The xx would maybe have been a decent option this year but they don't really seem to be on R&L's radar and it'd be shit getting them next year rather than this year. Imagine Dragons aren't getting any bigger than sub. SOAD subbed a few years ago and aren't getting any bigger so it'd be pointless having them headline now.

Catfish could do it at a push I guess but they're more likely to sub, for me.

Kendrick is an option but I think he'll do Wireless as they're more in need of headliners than R&L. The 1975 are an option but I think it'll be 2019 for them rather than 2018. BMTH are the most likely option imo but can see them at Download instead (for the same reason as Kendrick at Wireless).

Like dental I think there'll only be a co-headline if they end up with an extra headliner and they're both willing. I don't think they'll actively try to get someone to co-headline with Royal Blood. And right now I don't think anyone seems that likely to co-headline with them.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

alt-J aren't reaching headline status on the back of this new album. The xx would maybe have been a decent option this year but they don't really seem to be on R&L's radar and it'd be shit getting them next year rather than this year. Imagine Dragons aren't getting any bigger than sub. SOAD subbed a few years ago and aren't getting any bigger so it'd be pointless having them headline now.

Catfish could do it at a push I guess but they're more likely to sub, for me.

Kendrick is an option but I think he'll do Wireless as they're more in need of headliners than R&L. The 1975 are an option but I think it'll be 2019 for them rather than 2018. BMTH are the most likely option imo but can see them at Download instead (for the same reason as Kendrick at Wireless).

Like dental I think there'll only be a co-headline if they end up with an extra headliner and they're both willing. I don't think they'll actively try to get someone to co-headline with Royal Blood. And right now I don't think anyone seems that likely to co-headline with them.

Agreed on The xx alt-J and SOAD, but I definitely don't think Imagine Dragons aren't stuck at subbing. I think they have a better chance of getting it than Catfish easily.

At this point I can't see Kendrick coheadlining. If he does it at all it will be a solo headline.

I feel like FR will also probs wanna test out BMTH as a headliner before bump[ing them up (like with Foals & 1975) so headlining Download first makes sense.

At the same time, I don't feel as though Royal Blood are a big enough name to solo headline, especially given where they have been placed on lineups this year.

Edited by Mattymooz

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Not if they drop the new album

A new SOAD album in 2017/2018 isn't going to increase their size.

34 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Agreed on The xx alt-J and SOAD, but I definitely don't think Imagine Dragons aren't stuck at subbing. I think they have a better chance of getting it than Catfish easily.

At this point I can't see Kendrick coheadlining. If he does it at all it will be a solo headline.

I feel like FR will also probs wanna test out BMTH as a headliner before bump[ing them up (like with Foals & 1975) so headlining Download first makes sense.

At the same time, I don't feel as though Royal Blood are a big enough name to solo headline, especially given where they have been placed on lineups this year.

They're still playing slots on the back of the first album, though, really. The idea is that the second album will give them the boost to headline status, and given the size of their arena tour their booking agents expect that to happen. Having them co-headline with an act that could have just subbed them anyway won't change how strong the line-up is, anyway, so if there aren't any obvious co-headliners around I can't see them shunting Imagine Dragons or alt-J in there when they could just have someone of that size subbing them and it not look weird (although they did this with Disclosure and FOB in 2016 for some reason).

6 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

It may very well get to number 1, therefore gets a shite load of airplay, therefore the reading audience care about system

A shite load of airplay where? On Kerrang, where Chop Suey is already being played every half an hour?

Just now, Steve1000 said:

If a7x and slipknot can get to number 1, system easily could with what would be one of the most hyped albums of the year

It isn't going to get a shitload of airplay anywhere other than Kerrang, as Odessa said, and will not make them relevant enough to the R&L audience to headline the festival after subbing it 4 years ago.

I doubt they'd even be booked now.