Lineup 2018

Why does it always have to be a cynical, money-grabbing move to head for a more 'pop' territory? I'm sure it sometimes is but Paramore don't strike me as an act who needs to do that to further their career. Maybe they just don't feel they can glean anything from doing new pop-punk/emo stuff that they haven't already done - or what they do now is what they feel happier doing?

If they daub the whole album in the indie pop sound of Hard Times (I don't reckon they will) then at least it's a proper effort at that rather than trying to work with one foot in how they wanna sound and one in how their old fans wanna hear them.

Paramore have always been, in some capacity, a pop band. I don't understand the idea that all of a sudden they've become so. I guess their debut album is the most niche, if you can even call it that, but songs like That's What You Get, crushcrushcrush and Decode are bona fide pop. It's not a dirty word. 

1 hour ago, Hart Attack said:

Too many of the great 'Give It A Name' bands have abandoned the sound of that scene and jumped on the bandwagon of becoming more mainstream/pop-oriented (as well as the ones you've mentioned, I'd also say You Me At Six, All Time Low and arguably also 30 Seconds To Mars based on their last album)

You Me At Six, All Time Low and 30 Seconds To Mars were, and are, mainstream pop-oriented bands. 

1 hour ago, Hart Attack said:

Meanwhile there's this massive void left behind for emo/pop-punk/alternative fans.

Since 2010 R&L have had Paramore, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Green Day and blink-182 (twice) headline. When MCR do return it'll be in the style of Danger Days - big mainstream pop-punk. Releasing an album like The Black Parade in 2017 would be bizarre. 

Edited by JSmurphy

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

100% see teenagers getting back from school, texting mates while singing repeatedly Hard Times.

Hahahahhaa literally what 

2 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

That's just the problem though - too many of the great 'Give It A Name' bands have abandoned the sound of that scene and jumped on the bandwagon of becoming more mainstream/pop-oriented (as well as the ones you've mentioned, I'd also say You Me At Six, All Time Low and arguably also 30 Seconds To Mars based on their last album), while others have split up (My Chemical Romance, Funeral For A Friend, Lostprophets, The Blackout, Kids In Glass Houses) and meanwhile there's this massive void left behind for emo/pop-punk/alternative fans.

Instead of becoming just another typical indie-pop band, Paramore could have potentially set themselves apart from the trend by returning to their roots and standing as one of the few remaining bastions of emo/scene rock, perhaps even reigniting fan support and inspiring new bands to come through. I'm not surprised that they haven't, I never actually expected that they would - but I'm frustrated that neither they nor any of the other big names have stepped up. At least we still have a fair few mid-size bands though, like Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, AFI, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against and Billy Talent... would just be nice if we still had some real heavyweights in there as well - main stage headliners instead of Pit/Lock-Up.

Really can't wait for MCR to come back tbh.

Maybe they realised that scene is the absolute pits and wanted to do something decent.

Hard Times and Future (the only song I heard from the s/t) are by far the best things I've heard from Paramore.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

Paramore have always been, in some capacity, a pop band. I don't understand the idea that all of a sudden they've become so. I guess their debut album is the most niche, if you can even call it that, but songs like That's What You Get, crushcrushcrush and Decode are bona fide pop. It's not a dirty word. 

That's What You Get is I agree but it's almost not good and very weak for them, Decode however is not.

Thought I'd lob one of these down as people were doing em the other day. Can't be bothered to think of the remaining ones I haven't filled in, and I did it in 2 minutes so haven't really thought in much depth.

R&L: Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Paramore
V: Drake, Lady Gaga
TRNSMT: Paolo Nutini, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys
Download: Bring Me The Horizon, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica
IOW: Queens of the Stone Age, Kasabian, Depeche Mode
Bestival: LCD Soundsystem, Boy Better Know, Tame Impala
Latitude: CHVRCHES, Arcade Fire, Ben Howard
Wireless: Kendrick Lamar, ???, ???
BST: Gorillaz + more

Arctics doing a Wembley date or two alongside that. Foos and Sheeran also hitting up the stadiums.

59 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Thought I'd lob one of these down as people were doing em the other day. Can't be bothered to think of the remaining ones I haven't filled in, and I did it in 2 minutes so haven't really thought in much depth.

Arctics doing a Wembley date or two alongside that. Foos and Sheeran also hitting up the stadiums.

Potentially an exciting year ahead looking at that. Guns N' Roses for BST maybe? If Snow Patrol's album is popular and BST are desperate they could crop up there I think. I'd be surprised if Green Day didn't do a major UK fest on this album cycle but I can't really see where they'd slot in looking at that. 

Decode is a pop song

16 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Potentially an exciting year ahead looking at that. Guns N' Roses for BST maybe? If Snow Patrol's album is popular and BST are desperate they could crop up there I think. I'd be surprised if Green Day didn't do a major UK fest on this album cycle but I can't really see where they'd slot in looking at that. 

Decode is a pop song

Green Day could do IOW I guess.

Edit: I don't think acts of GnR's size who can sell out Wembley Stadium would do BST. They may as well just do more stadiums to rake in as much money as possible.

Edited by Will-2609

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Wireless could do something like Kendrick Lamar, Beyonce, Frank Ocean or something like that if they still wanna hit the R&B/hip-hop crowd

Then you still have people like Taylor Swift, Radiohead (if they're still touring?), The XX, Adele, Stone Roses etc. for BST too....

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Wireless could do something like Kendrick Lamar, Beyonce, Frank Ocean or something like that if they still wanna hit the R&B/hip-hop crowd

Then you still have people like Taylor Swift, Radiohead (if they're still touring?), The XX, Adele, Stone Roses etc. for BST too....

Don't feel like Frank Ocean will be back over here again next Summer. He's not the most prolific tourer. Can't see Beyoncé having any reason to tour; she won't have any new material so soon after the birth of her child, surely. They'll probably have Stormzy headline tbh, forgot about him.

Don't imagine Radiohead, Adele or the Roses will be touring, and The xx don't feel big enough for BST. Taylor Swift yeah if she's around.

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Not after hearing that new song. I think R&L will be all over them. 

You not think 75% of the self titled album was enough to tell you that ;P 

Joking aside yes they will be, and Download will know it makes every bit of sense being as the joint company they are to let them have them.

Can't see past Paramore, BMTH and FF atm, it won't even matter if FF do a couple of stadium shows too as Glasto is their only UK show this year. That puts Royal Blood as sub for me though. Obviously if Download got BMTH then it's completely different and a co-headliner situation is probably a goer but fucking them about twice and the band making a point of saying they'd rather Reading themselves 1st at least. 

If the former is the case then probably agreed on TOP, Royal Blood and Catfish as subs. Only thing that questions me over BMTH there is the various co-headliner trios they can use.

13 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Don't feel like Frank Ocean will be back over here again next Summer. He's not the most prolific tourer. Can't see Beyoncé having any reason to tour; she won't have any new material so soon after the birth of her child, surely. They'll probably have Stormzy headline tbh, forgot about him.

She only just started festival apperances with her last alum didn't she? She's definitely doing Coachella next year so.... But you're right Stormzy makes a ton more sense than Frank Ocean