Lineup 2018

Also with the new Imagine Dragons album coming out probably in this next year, as long as it isn't disappointing do you think they could headline? I think maybe they'll probably wait till 2019 instead but as they subbed last time (and personally I thought they were pretty great)....

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Is Jawbreaker a reunion that means much in the context of R+L?

C9x-Z4qXgAEDvKT.jpg:large

Surprised by Jawbreaker but I presume with this being their first show since 1996 and with Emo Revival being pretty big at the moment it makes some sense and the response seems to be pretty good. Not sure if it will be like the Misfits and just them getting a massive paycheck from Riot and then going away again. Anyway I don't think they'll do R&L or even DL if they stick around but just do their own shows instead (which would be much preferred anyway). Can't see them being offered the spot or money they would want but I presume that they could be offered a headline spot on the Lock Up if they're lucky. Also that line up fantastic! Now if Riot could convince Fugazi to come back next year that would be nice :P 

Edited by justanothername

2 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Surprised by Jawbreaker but I presume with this being their first show since 1996 and with Emo Revival being pretty big at the moment it makes some sense the response seems to be pretty good. Not sure if it will be like the Misfits and just them getting a massive paycheck from Riot and then going away again. Anyway I don't think they'll do R&L or even DL if they stick around but just do their own shows instead (which would be much preferred anyway). Also that line up fantastic! Now if Riot could convince Fugazi to come back next year that would be nice :P 

I've never even heard of Jawbreaker. Looked them up today though and agree that it's a great reunion for their first shows in 21 years and how influential they are to what is going on with emo atm. 

Fugazi would be UNREAL. I honestly don't think that will ever, ever happen, though. 

Box Car Racer, please :ninja: 

Edited by Andre91

17 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

What makes you say that?

Well it seems that a lot of the success the 2nd album and its tour received is residual from their first album hits. If they've managed to replicate that on the last album then I haven't seen it. Sub made sense last year and everyone called it a mile off but the only way must be down from there surely.

But saying that, Liam Gallagher is subbing this year so maybe they could come back in the same position at some point.

34 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Surprised by Jawbreaker but I presume with this being their first show since 1996 and with Emo Revival being pretty big at the moment it makes some sense and the response seems to be pretty good. Not sure if it will be like the Misfits and just them getting a massive paycheck from Riot and then going away again. Anyway I don't think they'll do R&L or even DL if they stick around but just do their own shows instead (which would be much preferred anyway). Can't see them being offered the spot or money they would want but I presume that they could be offered a headline spot on the Lock Up if they're lucky. Also that line up fantastic! Now if Riot could convince Fugazi to come back next year that would be nice :P 

I bet Fugazi are the top name on their list. Probably have a standing offer ready for whenever they wanna regroup.

Just remembered that the hot rumour was OG Smashing Pumpkins for this. Bullshit, evidently. Ah well.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Those two on the launch of new albums would be much bigger than Muse at the start of a new tour, never mind the arse end of this one.

I think theres precedent of Arctic Monkeys doing big gigs (TITP, Finsbury x2) and Reading the same year so Wembley and R+L could work easily. Foos look to be doing what you say about festivals then stadiums the following summer, in my eyes, so I think they'll skip and perhaps do R+L the following year to end the tour. Works best way around for Arctics to do Glasto as well.

Ah yeah for some reason I keep thinking Foos are touring a new album this year and that next Summer will be the last chance for R&L to grab them touring it. I guess there's a chance they may not even have a new album out by next Summer.

Fair points on Stormzy, Mattymooz.

Royal Blood / Catfish and the Bottlemen / Enter Shikari

Arctic Monkeys / Courteeners / Wolf Alice

Paramore / Twenty One Pilots / Stormzy 

Main: The 1975/Alt J, Courteeners, Slaves
NME: Jamie T, Don Broco

Main: Arctic Monkeys, BBK, Wolf Alice
NME: Enter Shikari, The Cribs

Main: Paramore/Royal Blood, Catfish, Stormzy
NME: The Vaccines, White Lies

I think paramore are probably nailed on now, just whether it's a co-headline or outright. Can't see FR turning down Arctic Monkeys on a new album with no glasto, although if Arctic Monkeys turn them down to do glasto in 2019 I think they could go for either Stone Roses (who should hopefully have a new album or at least a couple more new songs) or foo fighters. Other potential headliners for the 1975/Alt-J day could be Kendrick, Tame Impala or BMTH. 

2 hours ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Main: The 1975/Alt J, Courteeners, Slaves
NME: Jamie T, Don Broco

Main: Arctic Monkeys, BBK, Wolf Alice
NME: Enter Shikari, The Cribs

Main: Paramore/Royal Blood, Catfish, Stormzy
NME: The Vaccines, White Lies

I think paramore are probably nailed on now, just whether it's a co-headline or outright. Can't see FR turning down Arctic Monkeys on a new album with no glasto, although if Arctic Monkeys turn them down to do glasto in 2019 I think they could go for either Stone Roses (who should hopefully have a new album or at least a couple more new songs) or foo fighters. Other potential headliners for the 1975/Alt-J day could be Kendrick, Tame Impala or BMTH. 

Paramore aren't co-headlining again, that's one thing that's for sure. If they produced a Brand New Eye's type of record instead of what they did last time they would have headlined outright without question, considering they wanted them back after just two years. 

I'm unsure whether you can mix RB with Kendrick or not but Catfish are about as nailed on to take a high slot as you like....I wouldn't be shocked if they chucked co-headliner at them tbh.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I've never even heard of Jawbreaker. Looked them up today though and agree that it's a great reunion for their first shows in 21 years and how influential they are to what is going on with emo atm. 

Fugazi would be UNREAL. I honestly don't think that will ever, ever happen, though. 

Box Car Racer, please :ninja: 

Yeah Jawbreaker are great. Dear You and 24 Hour Revenge Therapy are both emo classics and agreed on Fugazi. Ian seems pretty happy right now and doesn't seem like the type of person who would bring back Fugazi for the cash though Ian still insists that they're still a band technically and they do still together privately from time to time. One can hope though. If he is doing a Jawbreaker we only have to wait 6 more years :lol: 

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I bet Fugazi are the top name on their list. Probably have a standing offer ready for whenever they wanna regroup.

Just remembered that the hot rumour was OG Smashing Pumpkins for this. Bullshit, evidently. Ah well.

Agree with that. I'm sure Riot have made several big offers to them in the past though next year I reckon they might not go for a big reunion but try for the final Brand New show. The did it last year with Motion City Soundtrack so I'm sure with Brand New calling it quits next year they'll be at least thinking about it

36 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Paramore aren't co-headlining again, that's one thing that's for sure. If they produced a Brand New Eye's type of record instead of what they did last time they would have headlined outright without question, considering they wanted them back after just two years. 

I'm unsure whether you can mix RB with Kendrick or not but Catfish are about as nailed on to take a high slot as you like....I wouldn't be shocked if they chucked co-headliner at them tbh.

Have you listened to their new single? It's kinda more CHVRCHES/Fickle Friends kinda style

5 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Have you listened to their new single? It's kinda more CHVRCHES/Fickle Friends kinda style

Yes, Twice, but I'm unsure what this means unless I need to be jumping for joy for CHVRCHES/Fickle Friends now?

I got Fickle from it but not the other, I just don't know why they changed their sound, it wasn't like after BNE came out they were not being noticed etc....they were very big then. People say FOB have gone pop and I'd very much agree now no more so than Paramore have....they just have electro in it as they know all.that is the rage at the minute. 100% see teenagers getting back from school, texting mates while singing repeatedly Hard Times.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I just don't know why they changed their sound, it wasn't like after BNE came out they were not being noticed etc....they were very big then. 

Bigger after their self-titled record tho and probably going to maintain their momentum with this album too. The last thing I want is for Paramore to release an angsty emo record, leave that in 2007, the sound hasn't aged well.

Edited by JSmurphy

I wasn't expecting another Riot (as amazing as that would be), but I was hoping they'd keep the same level of rock-ness that the last album had with songs like Now and Part II. Sadly it seems they've gone in completely the opposite direction into full indie-pop territory. I guess there's always the slim hope that the new song is as bad as it gets and the rest of the album is still decent. :unsure:

I think a Riot style record would be a terrible idea for a band like Paramore in 2017. Look at the landscape of rock and alternative music at the minute and what their peers like FOB and Panic have had success with. They don't lose anything with the alternative crowd either as their festivals and magazines are still desperate for money enough that they'll still get booked and loads of free press, plus the additional coverage and festival slots at more indie and mainstream festivals. It's a no brainer and a win win situation for these bands. 

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Bigger after their self-titled record tho and probably going to maintain their momentum with this album too. The last thing I want is for Paramore to release an angsty emo record, leave that in 2007, the sound hasn't aged well.

All have opinions I guess, I disagree they were bigger. BNE smashed Self Titled on sales and certification.

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Not sure what you were expecting from it tbh. Did you really think they'd go angsty or rocky again? That would be both dated as a sound and an awful career move. 

It really wouldn't, things were going very well as they were and their tours selling at their best.

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I quite like it and think they will still play Download at some point. Andy said he'd book them loads in the past year, they're last album was just as poppy as this. 

Yes in the past! I'd be majorly shocked if Download got them next year.

51 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I think a Riot style record would be a terrible idea for a band like Paramore in 2017. Look at the landscape of rock and alternative music at the minute and what their peers like FOB and Panic have had success with. They don't lose anything with the alternative crowd either as their festivals and magazines are still desperate for money enough that they'll still get booked and loads of free press, plus the additional coverage and festival slots at more indie and mainstream festivals. It's a no brainer and a win win situation for these bands. 

I don't get your point?, Paramore reached sub level and did it again before they went poppy and got massive crowds, they didn't need to change to keep that momentum going.

2 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

That's just the problem though - too many of the great 'Give It A Name' bands have abandoned the sound of that scene and jumped on the bandwagon of becoming more mainstream/pop-oriented (as well as the ones you've mentioned, I'd also say You Me At Six, All Time Low and arguably also 30 Seconds To Mars based on their last album), while others have split up (My Chemical Romance, Funeral For A Friend, Lostprophets, The Blackout, Kids In Glass Houses) and meanwhile there's this massive void left behind for emo/pop-punk/alternative fans.

Instead of becoming just another typical indie-pop band, Paramore could have potentially set themselves apart from the trend by returning to their roots and standing as one of the few remaining bastions of emo/scene rock, perhaps even reigniting fan support and inspiring new bands to come through. I'm not surprised that they haven't, I never actually expected that they would - but I'm frustrated that neither they nor any of the other big names have stepped up. At least we still have a fair few mid-size bands though, like Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, AFI, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against and Billy Talent... would just be nice if we still had some real heavyweights in there as well - main stage headliners instead of Pit/Lock-Up.

Really can't wait for MCR to come back tbh.

8 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

That's just the problem though - too many of the great 'Give It A Name' bands have abandoned the sound of that scene and jumped on the bandwagon of becoming more mainstream/pop-oriented (as well as the ones you've mentioned, I'd also say You Me At Six, All Time Low and arguably also 30 Seconds To Mars based on their last album), while others have split up (My Chemical Romance, Funeral For A Friend, Lostprophets, The Blackout, Kids In Glass Houses) and meanwhile there's this massive void left behind for emo/pop-punk/alternative fans.

Instead of becoming just another typical indie-pop band, Paramore could have potentially set themselves apart from the trend by returning to their roots and standing as one of the few remaining bastions of emo/scene rock, perhaps even reigniting fan support and inspiring new bands to come through. I'm not surprised that they haven't, I never actually expected that they would - but I'm frustrated that neither they nor any of the other big names have stepped up. At least we still have a fair few mid-size bands though, like Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, AFI, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against and Billy Talent... would just be nice if we still had some real heavyweights in there as well - main stage headliners instead of Pit/Lock-Up.

Really can't wait for MCR to come back tbh.

Thing is though FOB put out a terrible effort in Folie a Deux, Panic are shite anyway bar that one song they made and got some comeback hype and decent position that'll all wood blow over. All Time Low never quite got to the higher stage and nor did YM@6 in the end but it was closer, Paramore on the other hand did and succeeded with both main efforts which is why I don't get why they changed. I think their biggest issue was leaving/changing band members etc, the music was fine.

As said, the sound didn't age badly.....there is a market screaming out for it.