Lineup 2018

38 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

With the new album coming out this year, do you think QOTSA are possible next year? Maybe it's a year too early

Definitely possible, pretty unlikely though I'd say. I can imagine a huge proportion of R&L attendees having no clue who they are to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

I don't get how you can like QOTSA and find that album worthless,

To be fair I only listened to it once before the gig and once after. It bored me as did their performance. QOTSA stuff can be similar in that it doesn't impress initially but grows on you. Will I be going back to check out TCV again to see if there are any growers? Will I fuckers like, that performance destroyed any will I might have had.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

New Kendrick is sick. I'm going for him to headline. 

Crazy theory doing the rounds on twitter that he is dropping another album on Sunday if anyone wants to check it out. Seems mad but if it comes off then wow. 

Royal Blood, Kendrick Lamar & Foo Fighters. 

100% no chance in that trio, I guarantee it.

• Downvote 1

On 03/04/2017 at 1:37 AM, Larry_Bueller said:

Foo Fighters // Royal Blood // Wolf Alice 

NME: Stormzy 

Arctic Monkeys // Twenty One Pilots // Clean Bandit 

NME: Years & Years 

Kendrick Lamar // Tame Impala // Catfish and the Bottlemen 

NME: Bon Iver 

*Revised prediction*

BMTH // Royal Blood // Run The Jewels

NME: Jack Garratt

Arctic Monkeys // Twenty One Pilots // Stormzy

NME: Wolf Alice

Kendrick Lamar // Chase & Status // Catfish and the Bottlemen

NME: Clean Bandit

Edited by Larry_Bueller

ROYAL BLOOD, Jamie T, Stormzy, Mastodon, Neck Deep
Chase & Status, The Cribs

THE KILLERS, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, Kano, Zack de la Rocha
Run The Jewels, Mac DeMarco

PARAMORE, Tame Impala, Enter Shikari, Schoolboy Q, Rag'n'Bone Man
Vampire Weekend, The Hunna

Tame Impala subbing probably won't happen but this is a self-gratifying, overly-optimistic prediction ... as most of mine tend to be! ZDLR to join RTJ on stage for the greatest set to grace the NME since Limp Bizkit, forever haunting the minds of the foolish who opted to see The Killers instead. 

22 hours ago, Larry_Bueller said:

*Revised prediction*

BMTH // Royal Blood // Run The Jewels

NME: Jack Garratt

Arctic Monkeys // Twenty One Pilots // Stormzy

NME: Wolf Alice

Kendrick Lamar // Chase & Status // Catfish and the Bottlemen

NME: Clean Bandit

Catfish are much bigger than Chase right now

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

That would be a good lineup, even though I don't see Royal Blood headlining yet.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

Tame Impala subbing probably won't happen but this is a self-gratifying, overly-optimistic prediction ... as most of mine tend to be! ZDLR to join RTJ on stage for the greatest set to grace the NME since Limp Bizkit, forever haunting the minds of the foolish who opted to see The Killers instead. 

Surely Neck Deep aren't on the same level as Rag N Bone Man? That guys huge isn't he? And not just literally. 

• Upvote 1

He is. Maybe in a year's time his hype will have cooled but I don't see him below the likes of Schoolboy Q and Kano. It's mad that R+L haven't gone wild and threw a huge slot his way this year (as far as we know).

I can't get down with these shouts of RTJ coming back despite them being in the area and not appearing this year. El-P might even be touring with ZDLR and I don't think he'd be doing double duty. Prediction does look mostly fair tho - I agree with a Tame Impala subbing shout.

Edited by dentalplan

The Killers v Run The Jewels would hurt. Jamie T v The Cribs seems very unlikely. Looks a pretty solid start that though for me.

I can't even think of a reason why RTJ aren't there this year? To be playing a gig with Eminem and Danny Brown who are both of course at R&L that week and not be there themselves is very odd. And it's not like there's nowhere to put them, could easily fit them in on main stage Muse day. I'm assuming that they're an English exclusive at Field Day or some shit, maybe there's a small chance that they're being held back from the R&L lineup until Field Day has been and gone, or sold out.

Edited by Odessa

I hope that if Reading isn't going to be a rock festival any more that they'll at least leave bands like Paramore and Bring Me The Horizon for Download (or Slam Dunk and 2000 Trees for smaller bands)... either go all-in and give me enough to justify buying a ticket, or go full indie/pop/hip-hop and don't bother booking a handful of token heavier/alternative bands to keep up the pretence that it still caters to that target audience. Just don't try and half-arse it so that the fans are left missing out and the bands are drawing smaller crowds because their main demographic is elsewhere.

Make Reading great again, or let it rest in peace.

Edited by Hart Attack
  • Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

I hope that if Reading isn't going to be a rock festival any more that they'll at least leave bands like Paramore and Bring Me The Horizon for Download (or Slam Dunk and 2000 Trees for smaller bands)... either go all-in and give me enough to justify buying a ticket, or go full indie/pop/hip-hop and don't bother booking a handful of token heavier/alternative bands to keep up the pretence that it still caters to that target audience. Just don't try and half-arse it so that the fans are left missing out and the bands are drawing smaller crowds because their main demographic is elsewhere.

A lot of the sort of bands you're on about like BMTH, Paramore, then others like Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and the You Me At Sixes of the world are more suited and definitely would like to cater more to the new style Reading anyway. Can agree with you on bands like Architects and While She Sleeps though, don't see them having a place there for much longer. 

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Glastonbury: 2015, 2016, 2017

Hahahaha shit. Not sure how I managed that one. Still, Glastonbury often seems to be excluded when talking exclusivity, Future Islands a good example from this year. I'm gonna hold out that little bit of hope they could be added.

7 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

I enjoy the fact that reading has such a mixture of acts. There is still enough rock acts for people to go and enjoy a rock only festival if they want.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

I enjoy the fact that reading has such a mixture of acts. There is still enough rock acts for people to go and enjoy a rock only festival if they want.

Depends really. I think it's decent value this year if you like Muse and don't mind 1 of Kasabian and Eminem. Otherwise it's not worth it at all. 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Depends really. I think it's decent value this year if you like Muse and don't mind 1 of Kasabian and Eminem. Otherwise it's not worth it at all. 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the line up this year but I do think the lack of rock is exaggerated. Most the value is always in the headliners  

5 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the line up this year but I do think the lack of rock is exaggerated. Most the value is always in the headliners  

I don't think it's exaggerated this year at all. Same amount of bands but the size of the bands has dropped off massively, especially when you look at the majority of the bands in the higher positions of The Pit and Lock Up this year. 

They have to half-arse it. I think a lot of those type of North American bands see better value in playing June festivals because of that hotspot where they can hit, like, Download, Hellfest, Nova, RAR/RIP or Hu/So...

R+L do a decent enough job of scooping up what does arrive later on in the summer or help to put together a tour package that sways some artists into coming over. The likes of Pukkelpop and Rock en Seine have stepped back from rock and metal and predominantly 'rock' festivals Highfield and Frequency are jammed full of local hip hop and dance acts to fill it up.

Most acts that have been the 'heavy headliner' in the last five years have done none of the other festivals surrounding R+L. Even the likes of Jimmy Eat World and Less Than Jake are flown in for this one apart from the normal schedule. I just don't think you can expect too much anymore. Plus now FR have two horses in the race, they don't wanna take off Download's plate too much.

Edited by dentalplan

Considering Royal Blood just got announced as the headliner for the second stage of R1's Big Weekend this year, they could definitely pull off headlining/co-headlining next year.

To put that in perspective, last years second stage headliners were Biffy (who headlined last year) and BMTH (who people are already predicting to headline next year)

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Considering Royal Blood just got announced as the headliner for the second stage of R1's Big Weekend this year, they could definitely pull off headlining/co-headlining next year.

To put that in perspective, last years second stage headliners were Biffy (who headlined last year) and BMTH (who people are already predicting to headline next year)

It will rest on how well this second album does. As long as it doesn't flop they will probably be big enough to headline