Lineup 2018

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

A good rule of thumb going forward would be to do a prediction then remove two subs and a third down or something and move everyone else up. Maybe one or two more when including headliners like Foos and Arctics.

Also think of a really bad band name that nobody has yet and whack that in pretty high.

1 hour ago, Hart Attack said:

I think something like this is the best I can hope for, although even this feels a bit too optimistic...

Eoej2oC.png

That main stage Saturday is so damn good. Only one thing: I reckon Wolf Alice will be higher than Years&Years in all honesty.

Edited by manchestermusicreview

27 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

That main stage Saturday is so damn good. Only one thing: I reckon Wolf Alice will be higher than Years&Years in all honesty.

Probably true. I can't see Years & Years being much of a future concern at all tbh, doubt they have the fanbase to carry them upwards. Probably do some forest shows and a reduced slot at next year's V Fest or something. Whereas Wolf Alice will definitely have enough hype around the next record to elevate them.

24 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

That first day has approximately zero chance of happening.

It's strange considering a day like that would be expected only as far back as 2013 or 2014, and you could reasonably expect the bottom half of the main stage on any day to be mostly heavier Kerrang!-type bands. Now you've got Mallory Knox as an odd fit in between a gaggle of indie rock bands. Gotta imagine that number will continue to decrease every year as well.

4 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

Alternatively I was thinking Paramore and Twenty One Pilots instead of BMTH and ADTR, lightens it up a bit.

That depends on if Download grab Paramore.

1 hour ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Main: Bring me the horizon, Catfish and the bottlemen, enter shikari
NME: Stormzy, Don Broco

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Royal Blood, Panic at the disco
NME: Jamie T, Run the jewels

Main: The 1975/Tame Impala, Courteeners, Wolf Alice
NME, The Vaccines, Slaves

Don't see Tame Impala doing Reading, The 1975 is a shout but I also reckon Glasto might be tempted by them. The sell enough tickets at the moment that there isn't a lot between them and Biffy, plus on a usual year they are bigger than what a sub at Glasto is and a newer album will only propel them. If they do Reading next year then Glasto won't take that option up on them in 19, I think it's more likely for Glasto 19 then Reading 20 myself. Glasto would still take Arctics a year later but it's only happened once with Muse.

Edited by thewayiam

51 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt Glastonbury having a year off in 2018?

Think he means cos headlining Reading would somehow mean that they can't headline Glastonbury the year after.

They've even said they'd headline Reading first and then Glastonbury a year or two after that so I don't see why they'd prolong that for a bullshit rule, but it's what the man says.

1 hour ago, Shaun182 said:

The 1975/Tame Impala is a good shout for co-headliners

I disagree. It's that lopsided it might as well be headliner and sub. Tame Impala won't be R+L headliner sized in less than a year's time, whereas The 1975 could reasonably do it now if they hadn't played last year, of course.

Edited by dentalplan

56 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt Glastonbury having a year off in 2018?

Yes it is but there is nothing to say they will be back again next year, they've only just toured the shit put the circuit last year. 

It's not I don't think they could do Glastonbury after doing Reading but I very much doubt they'll be picked up by Glastonbury the year after on a 2nd year out. People had reservations over Muse because because of that and they are much bigger. Just my opinion atm anyway.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I disagree. It's that lopsided it might as well be headliner and sub. Tame Impala won't be R+L headliner sized in less than a year's time, whereas The 1975 could reasonably do it now if they hadn't played last year, of course.

Didn't Tame Impala sub-headline Glastonbury last year? (and they seem to have really grown with each new album)

5 minutes ago, Shaun182 said:

Didn't Tame Impala sub-headline Glastonbury last year? (and they seem to have really grown with each new album)

They did but it was as a late replacement. I'm not really sure they'd regularly have been booked there. They did really well but I think it'll be moving onto headlining Bestival or Latitude rather than stuffed into a headline slot with an inevitably much larger act.

Gonna go back on my own predictions 

Main: Tame Impala, Boy Better Know, Courteeners

NME: The Chainsmokers

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Bombay Bicycle Club

NME: Run The Jewels

Main: Foo Fighters, Royal Blood, A Day To Remember

NME: Enter Shikari

terrible I know but I tried to make it relatively weak since Arctics and Foo Fighters will sell boatloads of tickets on their own.

also I reckon royal blood will return to sub before coheadlining as they will be the request of the Foos

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Gonna go back on my own predictions 

Main: Tame Impala, Boy Better Know, Courteeners

NME: The Chainsmokers

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Bombay Bicycle Club

NME: Run The Jewels

Main: Foo Fighters, Royal Blood, A Day To Remember

NME: Enter Shikari

terrible I know but I tried to make it relatively weak since Arctics and Foo Fighters will sell boatloads of tickets on their own.

also I reckon royal blood will return to sub before coheadlining as they will be the request of the Foos

Bombay Bicycle club are on a hiatus and I think 2018 will be too early with Jack releasing new music as Mr Jukes. 

If this was the lineup they can take all my money, would be best weekend of my life aha. 

Anybody think it's too early for Foals to return to headline by next year with it being highly possible that a new album will be out by then and their distinct lack of UK festival participation this year, very very good band and killed it last year and enough to be a headliner on their own now imo.

7 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Bombay Bicycle club are on a hiatus and I think 2018 will be too early with Jack releasing new music as Mr Jukes. 

If this was the lineup they can take all my money, would be best weekend of my life aha. 

Anybody think it's too early for Foals to return to headline by next year with it being highly possible that a new album will be out by then and their distinct lack of UK festival participation this year, very very good band and killed it last year and enough to be a headliner on their own now imo.

Foals definitely won't return to headline again after 1 year away.

4 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I'm struggling to see how someone could see that lineup as week given what we have this year. FF would not have Royal Blood and ADTR under then guaranteed, one of them yes.

Main: Chase & Status/Imagine Dragons, Chance The Rapper, Slaves

NME: Don Bronco

Main: Foo Fighters, Skrillex, Peace

NME: Justice

Main: BMTH, Jamie T, Stormzy

NME: Passion Pit

Think I'm gonna hope for something like this. Depending on how the new Chase & Status and Imagine Dragons album are I think that could be a co-headline that would work. It could be Arctic Monkeys instead of BMTH but I think is the most reasonable (went with the rule that I just ditched some subs and bumped everyone up slots e.g. Slaves and peace are probs 4th down acts and Skrillex is probs a third down act)

10 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Think its too early for Foals. 

They'll start jamming together and practicing for their Festivals all over europe, and start thinking about new songs. They'll have a break before recording of maybe around 3-6 months before heading to the studio. They then take their time recording and we could see an album dropped around June 17. I recon they'd tour the album first, which will also give evidence they can sell out big big shows (if they can) before they headline.

If R&L bag Arctics and Foos (I'm not predicting either) then the undercard is going to suffer massively, if this year is anything to go by. Royal Blood are going to be at least a strong sub by next year so I don't see them playing the same year as Foos and Arctics.

I agree Catfish & The Bottlemen seem nailed on for a big slot. If Twenty One Pilots maintain the hype behind them they could take a few years off and return to co-headline. 

25 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Kendrick Lamar & The 1975 / Twenty One Pilots / Wolf Alice
ADTR

Foo Fighters / Royal Blood / Enter Shikari
Jamie T

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish & The Bottlemen / Vampire Weekend
Deftones

Kendrick up against A Day to Remember. IN THE NME TENT. You are cruel. 

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Main: Chase & Status/Imagine Dragons, Chance The Rapper, Slaves

NME: Don Broco

Main: Foo Fighters, Skrillex, Peace

NME: Justice

Main: BMTH, Jamie T, Stormzy

NME: Passion Pit

I will be a happy man the day Skrillex is back at R&L. His older stuff has aged very poorly but Recess was good, Doompy Poomp in particular. A bit of a rarity at UK fests too.