Lineup 2018

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

In which case CHVRCHES are kinda in the same position as Royal Blood, played 3rd down last time and looking to be boosted up the next time they play. It'll be CHVRCHES 3rd album (the same as 1975). They played at least the same level than 1975 last year (personally, I would argue even 3rd down main is higher than NME headliner). And my point was that CHVRCHES has a far wider appeal than the 1975, not that the 1975 were bad and that it harmed their chances (heck I was suggesting them for coheadliner).

They'd be doing a smaller jump than Disclosure did when they went up to coheadliner, with more albums/material and probably wider appeal. I don't see why this seems like a bad fit.

They've never had an album as big as Royal Blood's or Disclosure's debuts, nor sold as many tickets as The 1975. Every third down act isn't as likely to get promoted to headline as one another or more likely to get promoted to headliner than the NME headliner that year.

And you keep saying about their 'wide appeal' yet they're not as popular as The 1975 - who do obviously have an extremely broad appeal as they're one of the UK's biggest bands. Even if you were right, a band like Parkway Drive has a niche appeal but are more popular, ergo closer to headlining, than Echosmith. It means nowt.

6 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

System of a Down subbing Royal Blood

not saying i agree with it, but i don't think it's unreasonable. SOAD subbed in 2013, fair it was under Green Day which is a much bigger name but Royal Blood would be the weakest of those 3 headliners so a big sub would make it look like a stronger booking. i guess they could even stylise it as a coheadline set like they did with FOB & Biffy last year. if either of them are getting moved up to headline status it would definitely be Royal Blood at this stage, it's better to give up and coming acts that status rather than giving it to SOAD who haven't gained any more popularity since they last subbed.

Atm I think the headliners will come from Foos, Arctic Monkeys, Paramore, Kendrick Lamar, Royal Blood and BMTH.

Don't think The 1975 will have a new album out by then. BMTH may well not have one out, either. They're probably the least likely from my list in my eyes.

If they're successful this year with 3 massive headliners and an ass undercard then I could see it being Foos, Arctics, Paramore. First two of those could easily be doing stadium shows, though, so that could be a barrier.

Anyway, nice amount of decent options looking likely to be about.

alright alright i retract the idea that SOAD will sub Royal Blood. still don't think it's an impossible suggestion, and i guess you could swap them with Wolf Alice in my prediction so that they're subbing Foos instead, but they probably won't play at all tbh. it was just wishful thinking

(when the lineup poster is realeased for next years festival and SOAD are subbing Royal Blood I want apologies from everyone who bashed the idea ;))

Hard to predict at this point but:

KENDRICK LAMAR / The courteeners / Wolf alice / Cage the elephant / Don broco / State champs / Letlive. / Turnover / Vukovi
NME: Vampire weekend / Jack garratt

FOO FIGHTERS / Catfish and the bottlemen / All time low / Lower than atlantis / Foster the people / The amazons / The sherlocks / Waterparks / Counterfeit
NME: Martin garrix / Schoolboy Q

BRING ME THE HORIZON / Twenty one pilots / Enter shikari / Nothing but thieves / Pvris / Beartooth / Basement / Arcane roots / Beach slang
NME: Stormzy / Bonobo

On 3/24/2017 at 5:39 PM, Shaun182 said:

KENDRICK LAMAR / The courteeners / Wolf alice / Cage the elephant / Don broco / State champs / Letlive. / Turnover / Vukovi

FOO FIGHTERS / Catfish and the bottlemen / All time low / Lower than atlantis / Foster the people / The amazons / The sherlocks / Waterparks / Counterfeit

BRING ME THE HORIZON / Twenty one pilots / Enter shikari / Nothing but thieves / Pvris / Beartooth / Basement / Arcane roots / Beach slang

I think that top 3 is Sat/Sun is very possible and also Stormzy as NME headliner. Garrix might still be a bit too big for that slot, Deadmau5 did do it and is still topping SW4 and Cream but his peak moment has gone of gone.

Kendrick could do it but that slot is too open to call atm I think.

12 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Has Arcade Fire's time passed?

I wouldn't count them out. They seem a pretty hard band to tie down for UK festivals though.

What about The Black Keys, whatever they're up to these days? They're a band whose time has definitely passed, but could they sub again?

On 3/24/2017 at 5:39 PM, Shaun182 said:

Are Courteeners really getting bigger? I feel like they are type of band who will forever be at NME headliner/3rd down on main level. 

• Upvote 1

For anyone who's interested, saviours of rock and this generation's Libertines, Palma Violets, won't be there next year as they are reportedly splitting up, probably because since The Libertines reformed people stopped caring about them.

(Their first album was pretty good though)