Lineup 2018

5 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Too low for the prodigy

Didn't know where else to put them (wanted them as a sub but couldn't see them subbing Kendrick or Arctic Monkeys, and didnt want too much dnb on Monday). Plus can you imagine how amazing that show would be in that tent, would be the dream.

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Didn't know where else to put them (wanted them as a sub but couldn't see them subbing Kendrick or Arctic Monkeys, and didnt want too much dnb on Monday). Plus can you imagine how amazing that show would be in that tent, would be the dream.

I was thinking about a main stage closing set but tbh they're rumoured every year and never come so think we might have to give up on that one

With Glastonbury taking place a couple months beforehand I doubt that there will really be much of an effect on R&L; artists will still want to tour Europe in the early summer to make appearances at Rock Werchter, Roskilde, etc.

I imagine one consequence of Glastonbury's sabbatical will be more one-off shows during June/July next year

5 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

With Glastonbury taking place a couple months beforehand I doubt that there will really be much of an effect on R&L; artists will still want to tour Europe in the early summer to make appearances at Rock Werchter, Roskilde, etc.

I imagine one consequence of Glastonbury's sabbatical will be more one-off shows during June/July next year

Reading could try to target the glasto-goers 

As I mentioned, a lot of artists travelling over to Europe to do the festival circuit tour in June and July to perform at major festivals throughout the continent; those events are still going ahead next year and are still lucrative. The pool of acts for Festival Republic to choose from for R&L will be the same size as always

Also, if there is any event run by Festival Republic that will attempt to capitalise on Glastonbury's break it will be Latitude, which perhaps could benefit slightly

5 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

As I mentioned, a lot of artists travelling over to Europe to do the festival circuit tour in June and July to perform at major festivals throughout the continent; those events are still going ahead next year and are still lucrative. The pool of acts for Festival Republic to choose from for R&L will be the same size as always

Also, if there is any event run by Festival Republic that will attempt to capitalise on Glastonbury's break it will be Latitude, which perhaps could benefit slightly

What I mean is FR will try to get the glasto attendees over at reading so will spend more money on the largest acts out of the pool of acts around in august 

Can't really see the average Glasto attendee rocking up at Reading whoever is headlining. The big thing as well is that Reading pretty much always sells out anyway so they don't need to spend loads more money than usual, I mean it's not like they've cheaped out this year anyway with 3 bonafide massive headliners. 

They book a line up with quite a large crossover with Glastonbury anyway. Spare the alternative acts and the oldies and they'll probably have a fair chance of scooping up the hordes that go and see Blossoms or Rag'n'Bone Man on a stage at Glastonbury. Don't really have to change anything - if anything it's already moved quite centrally.

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

MCR? Yes please B) 

Can't shake the feeling they'll announce a reunion in the next year and R+L will be their first UK gigs. Think lightning said that the reissue was a bit of a 'feeler' for how much people want them to reunite and they later said publicly that they were taken aback by the reaction to the teaser, and also said they're gonna miss playing together eventually. Five years since the split seems about right to return. Hell, Riot Fest could even drop them on the poster whenever that gets announced.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Can't shake the feeling they'll announce a reunion in the next year and R+L will be their first UK gigs. Think lightning said that the reissue was a bit of a 'feeler' for how much people want them to reunite and they later said publicly that they were taken aback by the reaction to the teaser, and also said they're gonna miss playing together eventually. Five years since the split seems about right to return. Hell, Riot Fest could even drop them on the poster whenever that gets announced.

Good thinking. They'd be a really strong headliner now. It would have been seven years since their last shows over here too, which is crazy. 

Arctic Monkeys and MCR being two of the three headliners would be amazing. I went off Arctics slightly around 2014 cos all the hype around AM got annoying (it's a good album in hindsight but just good imo, not perfect like NME wanted us to believe), so I didn't look forward to their set as much as I would now. I'd even be happy to fork out £60 or whatever if they do stadiums instead. I'm really excited to see what direction they go in next, especially after being caught off guard with how much I loved the Last Shadow Puppets album last year.

MCR touring now would be great if they focused on their middle two albums. Last album was a bit of a dud but enough good tracks to pick 3 or 4 to play live. They'd be great fun tbh, a band along with LCD who split up maybe a year or two before I started going to gigs so I thought I'd never see them. Probably should have grown out of them by now but who's arsed.

I think though that if they can get Muse, Kasabian and Eminem in one year then they can get Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys in the same year, especially if the other one was a cheap headliner along the lines of Royal Blood (probably not them along with Foos and Arctics though). The point about at least one of the two wanting to do stadiums instead is valid though and could definitely end up being the case.

Arctic Monkeys, My Chemical Romance, Kendrick Lamar and Tame Impala coheadlining....that would be pretty much perfection for me. Defo not a prediction though. Thinking about it, Kendrick headlining outright would probably be better as I want him to get to that level and Tame Impala could still be there as a sub probably.

8 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

If Gerard Way was continuing to pursue his solo career I'd think we'd know by now; the fact he has been so quiet makes me believe they are probably working on the reunion in preparation for next summer as we speak

It seems to be a tactic these days. If you fancy taking a break then instead of just not releasing anything for 4 years and just fading slowly into obscurity, announce you're splitting up and then reform with all the hype a while later. But yeah I agree, not heard anything about Gerard Way in what feels like about 2 years. Not that that's an abnormal amount of time between albums but I feel like we'd have heard something, even as little as him doing an interview about a new album on the horizon. His album was decent though and it was cool to see his first (well second at Leeds cos Reading was the day before) ever solo live performance.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Code Orange to open the Main Stage one of the days next year. Saw them last night supporting Gojira and they were phenomenal. They're going to do big things. 

Would work opening for Download where you have randoms who'd check them out main stage but would be a pretty wasted booking for R+L. Be far better off playing to a bigger crowd in the tent. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

If Gerard Way was continuing to pursue his solo career I'd think we'd know by now; the fact he has been so quiet makes me believe they are probably working on the reunion in preparation for next summer as we speak

If so I could see Reading booking FF, BMTH and MCR. Feeling that it'll be that or Paramore in the mix buy that would sell well and give them enough room to book a decent enough under card, this year I think they forgot.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

If so I could see Reading booking FF, BMTH and MCR. Feeling that it'll be that or Paramore in the mix buy that would sell well and give them enough room to book a decent enough under card, this year I think they forgot.

I doubt R&L would book three rock/metal headliners, it would narrow the demographic too much

11 hours ago, thelemon said:

Bring Me The Horizon/Royal Blood

Wolf Alice

NME: Kaiser Chiefs

---

Kendrick Lamar

Tame Impala

NME: Vampire Weekend

---

Arctic Monkeys

Catfish And The Bottlemen

NME: Stormzy

aye very likely. still think there's a high chance of foos though, Arctics and Foos could be interchangeable