Hearing Problems

raoul_777

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time thread starter! Big fan of the forums!

I went to see my GP a few weeks back, long story short, I'm developing tinnitus in one of my ears!

I'm an avid Glasto goer (this is my 4th!), so my GP is recommending me to wear ear plugs to protect my ears at Glasto, I was wondering if any other avid festival/gig go-ers suffer from any of the same problems and could recommend a decent pair of ear plugs?

Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, raoul_777 said:

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time thread starter! Big fan of the forums!

I went to see my GP a few weeks back, long story short, I'm developing tinnitus in one of my ears!

I'm an avid Glasto goer (this is my 4th!), so my GP is recommending me to wear ear plugs to protect my ears at Glasto, I was wondering if any other avid festival/gig go-ers suffer from any of the same problems and could recommend a decent pair of ear plugs?

Thanks in advance!

Not yet suffering tinnitus proper yet but spend a lot of time going to gigs in general, and especially diy ones in small rooms w/ big speakers! So trying to prevent it happening later/stopping headaches etc.

All festivals now give out ear plugs at info points and stuff (or the ones I've seen anyway!), but obviously they're the cheapo ones. They're better than nothing if you have nothing else on you. 
I have two pairs 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACS-ACS-ER20-Hearing-Protectors-x/dp/B004SBSOKK/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1463989768&sr=8-53&keywords=ear+plugs

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiveMus-HearSafe-Ear-Plugs-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00O1QTI20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463989739&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ear+plugs&psc=1

The second pair are better, though as a result a bit more expensive. Both come with something to keep ear plugs in that can be attached to either yourself or keys, which is handy (I would never remember them otherwise). 

Edited by emilyboris

Just now, Stooonami said:

http://djtechtools.com/2015/11/09/best-dj-earplugs-for-the-club/

You're better off getting a custom pair made long term however.

Agreed with that, though it depends how much cash you're prepared to part with immediately, and how upset you'd be in the not unlikely event you lost that pair in the fields!

Got a few muso friends who swear by their custom jobs while playing gigs. Say they cut volume without distorting the sound. Don't know the brands but I'll ask and post back when I get a response.

Meanehile the best suggestion I can give is to get down to your local music shop and ask the guys in there, they should be knowledgable about such things.

I've got these and really like them, they come with different filters so you can change the amount of sound they cut out. They're very discreet and easy to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000VO8PR0/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g267_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=J40YBRDKFYA1B85E57B9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=7840b43e-dcae-4b10-a754-dc3cf67dec76&pf_rd_i=mobile

I used to have a pair of custom fit ones which were great but only got them because I won them. Note to get them you have to have them professionally fitted and in theory you should get a new pair every 3 years as your ears change shape. They are expensive and so probably not worth the extra unless you are exposed to loud music very regularly. 

9 minutes ago, neil_d said:

Agree with what's been said so far. I use the Alpine ones above.

@emilyboris what makes the second ones you've linked better than the er20, out of interest?

Really I should have said 'a bit' better as there's not a whole lot of difference. Two choices of filter rather than one, slightly more comfortable, metal tube is a better storage solution than the pocket ACS provide (also 'lifetime guarantee'). I haven't had a chance to really compare the difference in attenuation between them properly yet, so I wouldn't be able to say with certainty that the livemusic set are worth £10 more. Both good budget/temporary options though 

I have tinnitus.  I am used to it and it doesn't bother me too much, but of course I don't want it to get worse.

I have custom-made earplugs, which I wear for loud gigs.  They are great and indeed do not distort or muffle the sound.  Drawbacks are that you can hear yourself sing and people chatting close to you appear louder.  They are also expensive.  Am always very conscious of where they are, as I do not want to lose them!

I listen to a lot of folk and acoustic music and for that the custom-made ones are actually too strong, so I use the cheap foam ones.  They do distort what you are hearing a bit, but on the plus side they don't pick up nearby wafflers as much.

At Roskilde festival in Denmark the organizers always put out a strong message encouraging punters to protect their hearing.

Edited by Watergirl