Wellies!

stardustjunkie

I have an issue every year with wellies splitting at the sides and front.

Only once I have had a pair that hasn't split. I just tried them on and they come up to my knees - not sure how I survived the festival with them because they rub so much! They are called Rock Fish but far too tall for little me.

So what wellies would you recommend - I want something that won't split so recommendations of wellies that have lasted a few years please.

I'm not in to fashion but have looked at Hunters as they're supposed to be good for this kind of thing and I just can't warrant spending so much on them. Are they really worth the money? 

Muck boots look good but still expensive! Will keep them in mind.

I always wear long socks with wellies but these wellies rub in the crease at the back of my knee. Would rather just not wear them to be honest. I tried folding the tops over but it doesn't work because of how they are made.

I'll give you 3 different recommendations, for you to judge against your preferences..

- Wellies made of real Rubber, rather than Plastic. Plastic ones are far more likely to split and I suspect that's what you've had in the past. Rubber boots tend to be a bit more expensive - Hunter are the best known of these, but there's a few others that more sensibly price, including Lowther which is owned by Hunter and uses the same materials, as far as I can tell the only difference is slightly more basic styling.

- Goodyear boots from the efestivals camping shop. A bit like the Muckmaster boots mentioned above, but not quite as nice and a bit cheaper. I wore these a couple years ago and they were excellent, the only reason I switched away is that they weigh quite a bit and I try to pack as light as possible.

- Decathlon Snow Boots - I've taken these a couple times in the past and have decided to go this way again this year. Works a treat in most conditions (including 2011), but I'll have made a mistake if we get a repeat of 2007.

I've got Woof boots but not had to give them a real work out yet. Had them on briefly last year, bit concerned that the fleece lining will lead to exceptionally sweaty legs but very easy to take off which was the problem I had with my previous wellies.

My cheap wellies split a open on the Friday of a very wet Leeds festival a few years back, never again.

I ended up finding a pair of Hunters in a sale for £30 and they've been going for five years. I buy new gel insoles for them every year and they fit like a glove.

I would never pay the going price for them though so gotta make them last :D

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the advice and recommendations and will check out everything everyone has said.

I would be perfectly fine wearing Hunters if they weren't so expensive. I don't see why I need to pay so much just for a little name tag on the front of them!

I've used the same pair of wellies for years and never had any problems with them.  I got mine from work, so they're industrial quality - perhaps the ones you get in the high street aren't made to the same standard?   Might be worth checking either an industrial safety shop (e.g. Arco) or a farmers supply shop.  I think they're reasonably cheap in these places - certainly way cheaper than a pair of Hunters.  As for comfort - yep, walking boots are okay, but if you want to use wellies then just use massive woollen socks to go under them - army surplus shops often sell them as 'submariners socks.'  Counter-intuitively, they seem to keep your feet cool and dry too.

1 minute ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I wouldn't have a clue how to tell whether they're any good.  I have just found my work wellies on a safety site, and they're only £11!  You could be extravagant and buy both and use the ugly green ones if the must-have purple ones let you down...

That is a bargain. Do you think they're designed for men though? I don't want boots that are too big. I have quite small feet :D

The purple ones are based on the advice above about them being all rubber - but I can still change my mind!

Lots of threads on wellies i'm sure.  And if anyone has big feet and wants to pick up a free pair of Muck Boots in south warwickshire, give me a shout!  I remember ordering a size 11 and they were too big for my size 11 feet, even with appropriate sockage!

So if you've size 11.5 / 12 feet and want a pair, they're yours.

54 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I'm actually really tempted by these. It will at least mean I can wear my actual shoes underneath http://www./black-pocket-wellies---xl-uk-10-12-60-p.asp

Those things actually look like an excellent idea for throwing in your bag to deal with unexpected mud while you're out and about. If you've done a proper muddy Glastonbury, like 2007, you'll already know: in extreme conditions they'll be trying to escape with every step, so take something beefier too.

I am still wearing my mums old sailing boots - they have done every festival since the early 90s and must be nearly 40 years old. A bit like this but with a bigger tread.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/helly-hansen-mens-midsund-2-welly-B1412038?id_colour=1617&channel_code=110&s2m_product_id=90579_1617&utm_source=google&_$ja=tsid:45886&gclid=CLfslKLf8swCFdRuGwodL6UA_Q&gclsrc=aw.ds