East campervan arrival time

marcbyers

2 minutes ago, marcbyers said:

Hi there.

we were planning on arriving Tuesday evening. Will a lot of the field be full by then?

are we best arriving first thing Tuesday?

many thanks for any info

Have been having a similar conversation with @porker over on the chat site. The official Glasto site says access to campervan fields is from 12 noon on Tuesday. But @porker says that he arrived at 12.15pm last year and two fields were already full. 

Whatever time you arrive, I would imagine that the later you turn up, the further away from the entrance gate.

1 minute ago, marcbyers said:

Think we are planning to head early Tuesday now. If we drove through the night and arrived at say 5am, would there be somewhere to park for a couple of hours?

I would doubt it, unless you turn up to a 24-hour supermarket car park or something. Regarding Alton Towers, I'd consider doing that if it floats your boat. If you want to do that, I'd aim to get to the Pilton area by late afternoon at the very least. Cars are being allowed into the overnight car parks from 9pm so traffic will really start building up in the hours before that.

Besides, it depends what you mean about wanting a 'good spot' at the the East campervan fields - whatever time you arrive you'll be directed to wherever the stewards have been told at that time you should go. 

Most people are lovely anyway so your neighbours are bound to be lovely too. I don't mind the stroll to the Hill of Death in the mornings and, by night-time, as long as I get to the top of it without collapsing, I don't care anyway.

The only areas I wouldn't want to be near are the loos (smell and banging doors) and the food vans (noisy and smelly).

Hope this helps.

A good decision marcbyers!  It's lovely to have the extra Tuesday afternoon and evening.

When you arrive the stewards should ask you if you want family camping or not as different fields. We have never chosen that so worth asking them if you might need that.

21 minutes ago, minxy21 said:

So what time can you actually get into CV fields ?  I know the tickets say 12 o clock but it does seem from here you can get into them earlier  x

We arrived just before 12 last year and there was a steady queue but lots of room. Maybe the family fields fill more quickly.

6 minutes ago, minxy21 said:

So what time can you actually get into CV fields ?  I know the tickets say 12 o clock but it does seem from here you can get into them earlier  x

in previous years, people have clearly got in before midday on the Tuesday... in 2014 we got in about 12:30 and parked in the fron row of E23..

Last year we didnt get there till past 13:00 and a friend managed to keep me a spot in E19.. and last year they closed one of the field off (E22) and turned it into a glamping field..

This year they seem to be making more of a deal about not getting in before midday, but i cannot see them leaving people on the road..

22 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

Have been having a similar conversation with @porker over on the chat site. The official Glasto site says access to campervan fields is from 12 noon on Tuesday. But @porker says that he arrived at 12.15pm last year and two fields were already full. 

Whatever time you arrive, I would imagine that the later you turn up, the further away from the entrance gate.

Same here for us.  We arrived not long after 12, and were lucky to "just" get into E24 (last few rows from end of field).  E20 was already full and well established (as in, people had clearly been there a while).

from the map (apologies if it didnt post correctly)..

E21 is the Hill of Death and seems to be reserved..

E20 always has the same vans there (someone wiser than me will opine on their invitation...)

19/23/24/25 are to the left of the road...

E14-18 are over the road (but not that far..)

I wouldn't miss alton towers for it. We got there at 12:30 Tuesday last year and were stuck in E17. It's really negligible as to how far you will be. To walk from E17 to E19 took under 5 minutes. You'll be in the festival all day anyway, and won't be nipping back at any point. So how much difference does it really make?

We're arriving Wednesday this year, as wherever you are in East CV it's a difference of 5 minutes at absolute max.

Edited by Nick S

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

from the map (apologies if it didnt post correctly)..

E21 is the Hill of Death and seems to be reserved..

E20 always has the same vans there (someone wiser than me will opine on their invitation...)

19/23/24/25 are to the left of the road...

E14-18 are over the road (but not that far..)

E21 is the Hill of Death and leads to the other fields, E22 was glamping last year and looks the same this time!

I think with E21 and E20.. it looks like it is about who you know not what time you get there..

last year i saw the bloke off of Homes Under The Hammer halfway down the hill on E21 asking someone on the phone where the awning was for the caravan we was standing outside.. (he should have read the sellers pack..)

After E22 going to glamping last year, i was half expecting another to disappear this.. (it must be much better money to the farmer that owns that land..)

4 weeks from now, i will be finishing off packing the car and caravan and heading for an early night.. in the vain hope that my wife and daughters will be up and ready for sparrows fart the next morning and hitting the road.. (5 hours or more, with a stop..)

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I think with E21 and E20.. it looks like it is about who you know not what time you get there..

l

E21 is disabled overspill and staff - you might get in there on Thursday or Friday if the other fields are full. Certainly not about who you know :)

Edited by StoneCircle

On 23/05/2016 at 10:24 PM, StoneCircle said:

E21 is disabled overspill and staff - you might get in there on Thursday or Friday if the other fields are full. Certainly not about who you know :)

Lol it is if ure mates have already got in and blag u in too ;)!

The guy with the cowboy hat is not a push over mind 

10 minutes ago, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Lol it is if ure mates have already got in and blag u in too ;)!

The guy with the cowboy hat is not a push over mind 

I am disabled, so have a letter to allow me to go in there. I don't use Spring Hill as others need it more than me. Please do try and consider others who may not be able to cover the distance you can. Or are working  unsocial hours.

Since the CV fields have been opening on the Tuesday we have always arrived close to midday or soon after. Each time several fields have already been filled. For two years we were in E22 (now pre-erected glamping) with E20, E19 & E23 already full. Last year we arrived at 12.15 pm and were about half way through E23. A good spot as it happens as you can skirt round the edge of the hill through E21.

I asked a friendly steward what time they'd opened and he told me 8 am. This may not happen this year of course (it's your call what time to arrive), but what will they do with all this early traffic if they plan to open strictly at 12? It'd be chaos.

I remember arriving at 8 am on Wednesday in 1997 in an old transit camper and being in what is now E20. The field still wasn't full that evening. I think they only had two or three camper van fields that year but my memory is a bit hazy.

porker

I shouldn't read threads like this as it always freaks me out! We can't get there until Wednesday morning this year and i'm worried we'll be miles away. Despite the fact that the last two times we've been (2013 and 2014) we've arrived early Wednesday and not been too far from the gates.