The 'Abstinence Untill G-Day' Challenge

yehbutnobut

In a nutshell, there's approximately 30 days until the fun begins, my overhang isn't getting any smaller, there's far too many calories in cider than I'd like and I generally tend to associate drinking with my poor eating choices. Hence from Monday (everyone knows a diet/detox must start on a Monday, plus I've a couple Thatchers in the fridge that'll need finishing this evening) i'll be off the booze until the time we pull up, set-up, and crack open the first beverage of many whilst savouring the moment. Though thinking about it, I should probably be doing the opposite and helping my body acclimatise to pretty much 5 days on the smash, not the other way round.

I'll be abstaining anyhow and i'm not expecting floods of support, but if anyone wants to join along for the hell of it and come back here for daily AA / Slimming World like meetings discussing temptations, near misses or the like then please do, I just thought creating this thread might help me keep to it.

P.s. Will get this out now, I have tickets for one local beer festival already booked in the diary and am allowing myself one day's grace to attend, else honestly what would be the point in going. Plus she's picked out a hat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to be giving it a go, for all the reasons above and also cause I'll save a load of cash that can be better spent at Glastonbury.

Don't really have anything in the diary between now and then to test my self-control, potentially the Champions League final next week, aside from that I'm confident I'll be able to stick to it.

Ha! Sod that. I'm a week into a 2-week abstinence thing due to a big charity walk next weekend - 28 miles - and frankly four days in I wanted a pint. It was sunny, I had the day off, the boozer had summer lightning on tap, but I had to keep walking. 

Horrible. 

I've got a beer festival next Sunday to help soothe my poor muscles, and I cannot bloody wait. I might run the last five miles just to get to the beer quicker! I can't do 30 days til glasto, it'd just be unfair. Plus euro championships. A tournament without beer? :lol: the very idea . . . 

11 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I will support you by doing the 'Absinthe Until G-Day Challenge' instead.  The purpose of this is to gradually build up your alcohol tolerance so your hangovers aren't quite as bad.

Brilliant. This will however need it's own thread, which I imagine will accumulate many many more followers...

45 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

In a nutshell, there's approximately 30 days until the fun begins, my overhang isn't getting any smaller, there's far too many calories in cider than I'd like and I generally tend to associate drinking with my poor eating choices. Hence from Monday (everyone knows a diet/detox must start on a Monday, plus I've a couple Thatchers in the fridge that'll need finishing this evening) i'll be off the booze until the time we pull up, set-up, and crack open the first beverage of many whilst savouring the moment. Though thinking about it, I should probably be doing the opposite and helping my body acclimatise to pretty much 5 days on the smash, not the other way round.

I'll be abstaining anyhow and i'm not expecting floods of support, but if anyone wants to join along for the hell of it and come back here for daily AA / Slimming World like meetings discussing temptations, near misses or the like then please do, I just thought creating this thread might help me keep to it.

P.s. Will get this out now, I have tickets for one local beer festival already booked in the diary and am allowing myself one day's grace to attend, else honestly what would be the point in going. Plus she's picked out a hat.

I'll join you, for all of the same reasons!

I was thinking about this just this morning for exactly the same reasons!  I'll be having two small aberrations for a couple of gigs but will stick to the recommended daily allowance for the first of them.  I will allow no restrictions on my enjoyment of Neil Young in June.  Otherwise I'm in.

46 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Can't tell if this is a show of commitment or not? And to be fair, not sure if you know either...

Well I did 5k earlier in the week. I'm just lacking a proper routine. All a bit ad hoc. And distance isn't the only factor, I need a more cross-country type route.

Was pondering this earlier. I don't really drink any more, rarely go out - maybe once every 3 months or something, and can't remember the last time i got smashed. My tolerance these days is fucking terrible. I'm a bit worried/scared about Glastonbury this year. 

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Was pondering this earlier. I don't really drink any more, rarely go out - maybe once every 3 months or something, and can't remember the last time i got smashed. My tolerance these days is fucking terrible. I'm a bit worried/scared about Glastonbury this year. 

This is my issue too. And in 2013 I nearly ruined it for myself - although it was kinda my stag do - hence my profile pic.

I consiously kinda stick to infrequent weak lagers (Fosters normally) and a little spirits mid-headliner. If I go solo from the group as inevitably happens on one night of the weekend, I'm careful to take just a few beers in my backback and no spirits.

I always have a better time. 

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

This is my issue too. And in 2013 I nearly ruined it for myself - although it was kinda my stag do - hence my profile pic.

I consiously kinda stick to infrequent weak lagers (Fosters normally) and a little spirits mid-headliner. If I go solo from the group as inevitably happens on one night of the weekend, I'm careful to take just a few beers in my backback and no spirits.

I always have a better time. 

Trouble is, Glastonbury is primarily a social thing for me. I get to see all my friends that I've not seen since last summer, and family too. So, obviously i need it as a social lubricant, plus i get ludicrously overexcited, and forget i can't handle booze anymore. Start chucking it down my neck like i was able to 10 years ago. Going to have to be careful this year, i reckon.

30 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Trouble is, Glastonbury is primarily a social thing for me. I get to see all my friends that I've not seen since last summer, and family too. So, obviously i need it as a social lubricant, plus i get ludicrously overexcited, and forget i can't handle booze anymore. Start chucking it down my neck like i was able to 10 years ago. Going to have to be careful this year, i reckon.

True.

Glastonbury is not the ideal environment for self-restraint!!!

I'm counting 5 or 6ish so far joining in the abstinence ring. Happy with that & i'm determined to keep with it... I've aready smashed my left over thai for breakfast, a snickers & a rocky bar, left over pizza with a houmus dip and both the Thatchers in the fridge in preparation for a month of behaving.

5 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I gave up all booze in October and am having the whole of 2016 dry.  Really looking forward to this years festivals sober.  Feeling much healthier and happier for it.  

What do I win?

Wow! Hats off pal. I did three months off the pop last year, one in January and two during Sep & Oct after the summer, and must say I felt amazing afterwards.